Notices

2010 STI hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2015, 10:04 AM
watty88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 STI hatch

I have recently bought a 2010 STI hatchback, I'd just like a bit of advice on how people have modified them and which garages people would recommend?

I live in West Yorkshire but would be happy to travel within reason, I'm not looking to spend thousands on upgrading turbos etc (yet) just advise on what people would start on? Exhaust, air filters, remap?

With the increase in torque+BHP is there anything I need to worry about going bang?

Any advise appreciated

Thanks
Old 04 November 2015, 11:25 AM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by watty88
I have recently bought a 2010 STI hatchback, I'd just like a bit of advice on how people have modified them and which garages people would recommend?

I live in West Yorkshire but would be happy to travel within reason, I'm not looking to spend thousands on upgrading turbos etc (yet) just advise on what people would start on? Exhaust, air filters, remap?

With the increase in torque+BHP is there anything I need to worry about going bang?

Any advise appreciated

Thanks
Hi mate,

I also have a hatch! But yes exhaust, panel filter and a remap would be the first stage and should see 350/360bhp.

If you want any more then i would suggest rebuilding the engine due to personal experiance. My car was completley standard, always ran good oil and vpower fuel. I wanted it rebuilt so had the engine taken out and stripped and the big bearing on rod 4 was badly worn so close to failure, pretty lucky on my behalf.

Just depends how far you want to go and if you can budget a rebuild potentialy it may not ever let go just it may. I bet there are plenty of 2.5s out there which are fine.

Hope this helps
Old 04 November 2015, 11:44 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Check out the hatch thread in member gallery section.

Unfortunately you need to be concerned about it going bang even at standard power.
Old 04 November 2015, 12:35 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

yeh the standard map seems to enjoy being quite lean even up to 10psi and quite high loads compared to older cars. I'm assuming this is an attempt to help with emissions output so even a standard car would benefit from a map to sort some of these things out.

also i've noticed with the hatches the standard BCS doesn't work as well as on older cars (probably why they have 2 restrictor pills now instead) so a 3port solenoid will definitely help your mapper get the most out of the car.
Old 04 November 2015, 05:53 PM
watty88
Scooby Regular

hi, thanks for the advise i like the sound of 350/360BHP will be looking into exhaust, filter and remap thanks jamie.

i am a bit concerned about something major going wrong from what you guys have said and things i have read also, i was under the impression that pre 2010 had the most problems, not sure if that's right?

my car has only done 26K, when do i need to start worrying? how much roughly would it cost to get the engine stripped down?

Thanks for the info bludgod, i will mention this to whoever i take it too in the future.
Old 04 November 2015, 08:54 PM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

hi, thanks for the advise i like the sound of 350/360BHP will be looking into exhaust, filter and remap thanks jamie.

i am a bit concerned about something major going wrong from what you guys have said and things i have read also, i was under the impression that pre 2010 had the most problems, not sure if that's right?

my car has only done 26K, when do i need to start worrying? how much roughly would it cost to get the engine stripped down?

Thanks for the info bludgod, i will mention this to whoever i take it too in the future.
No worries mate... Personally i would just do the stage 1 and see how it goes. It may go it may not... Just enjoy it!

I just collected forged parts for about a year. I bought bits from USA as worked out cheaper than here. Then when i had everything i wanted i just went for a rebuild. Depends if you could budget a build too
Old 04 November 2015, 09:18 PM
watty88
Scooby Regular

thanks mate appreciate it, think thats exactly what I'm going to do.
Old 04 November 2015, 10:16 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Hi, some sound advice above. I have an AEM induction kit, ProDrive de-cat centre pipe with custom backbox and re-map from Race Dynamix and am comfortably getting 340bhp. Could have pushed it higher though really happy with this level of power and torque.

I am now on 52k miles and all is ok, though am aware that there could be troubles ahead. What performance car does not have problems around the corner though?
Old 05 November 2015, 07:30 AM
watty88
Scooby Regular

Hi 8ulldog, thanks for that think I'm going to go down a similar route to yourself and if something bad happens then I will just have to deal with it.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 05 November 2015, 08:04 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Get yourself over to Richard Henry Motorsport in Bradford, they have done quite a bit with the hatches
Old 05 November 2015, 08:15 AM
watty88
Scooby Regular

I've read a few things with people recommending them, I'm going to go see them this weekend. Cheers
Old 05 November 2015, 08:21 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've read a few things with people recommending them, I'm going to go see them this weekend. Cheers
May see you there, I am due a social visit
Old 05 November 2015, 08:31 AM
watty88
Scooby Regular

I will probably go Saturday late morning, be good to have a chat if I bump into you ��