what thickness HG on v8 sti/wrx hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2015, 08:18 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what thickness HG on v8 sti/wrx hybrid

hi all

i have a bug wrx wagon that the bottom end has given up on and also a v8 2.0 scdb sti complete engine (crash damaged...one cam has been damaged but heads and valves are ok) that i plan on bolting together on the cheap

i know that i need to buy head gaskets so what would you recommmend using with the sti bottom end and the bug eye wrx heads?

the sti avcs heads are actually ok just i will need a cam etc and i think it will be more hassle than its worth getting them working in the bug...shame though as they are large ports

iv got the sti inlet and a front converted td05 or vf 35 or vf23 and the pink injectose to use to make for quite a good package aswell

let me know your thoughts

plan on taking wrx engine out and swapping everything over to the scdb in a weekend so want to be prepared!

also if anyone has any advice on a half decent clutch that they can recommend it would be much appreciated

cheers
Old 28 October 2015, 08:27 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iirc when i bought the gaskets for my v8 sti they were roughly 0.6mm thick, but that was using the sti's avcs heads, dont forget you need to increase the thickness slightly if you skim heads or block too.
Old 28 October 2015, 09:00 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

head and block will be untouched

id happily use thinner gaskets for off boost and spool up characteristics im unsure though if the squish area in the wrx heads is smaller than on the sti or vice versa so dont want to create problems

or if the engine will be able to handle the higher pressures il go for it

its a cheap build with bits of got lieing around haha...just so happens they are all goodies lol
Old 28 October 2015, 11:05 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally speaking 0.78mm would be most common, carry uprated gasklets on the shelf at very cost effective pricing

0191-4103770