Notices

Oil coolers. Help, help, help

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2015, 06:55 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coolers. Help, help, help

Help, I have just acquired a brand new oil cooler complete with braided hoses from a friend who bought it for his 2002 bugeye wrx, I am thinking of having it fitted on my 52 plate bugeye wrx, the thing is I have been told that my car will probably have one on as standard, but I have also been told they haven't got an oil cooler on them, does anyone know for definite if my 2002 wrx has got an oil cooler fitted as standard or not, many thanks to whoever replies.
Old 25 August 2015, 06:57 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Plane mad Harry
Help, I have just acquired a brand new oil cooler complete with braided hoses from a friend who bought it for his 2002 bugeye wrx, I am thinking of having it fitted on my 52 plate bugeye wrx, the thing is I have been told that my car will probably have one on as standard, but I have also been told they haven't got an oil cooler on them, does anyone know for definite if my 2002 wrx has got an oil cooler fitted as standard or not, many thanks to whoever replies.
It will have an oil modine, not an oil cooler fitted as standard. What oil temps are you getting ?
Old 25 August 2015, 07:03 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you going to be using it on track? If not then huge waste of time and money and do more harm with oil thats not hot enough.
Old 25 August 2015, 07:04 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
It will have an oil modine, not an oil cooler fitted as standard. What oil temps are you getting ?
It is a totally standard car and hasn't got any pressure or temp guages fitted, also what is a Modine
Old 25 August 2015, 07:11 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Are you going to be using it on track? If not then huge waste of time and money and do more harm with oil thats not hot enough.
No I'm not going to use it on track, it is used as my daily car and only covers about 150 miles per week, sometimes not that when the weathers good enough to use my Yamaha R1
Old 25 August 2015, 07:26 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No need for an oil cooler in your case and a modine is a sort of oil cooler fitted on impreza turbo`s as standard and are near the oil filter and they are round in shape and i am sure someone who can use a pc better than me will put a picture of one up for you.
Old 25 August 2015, 07:46 PM
Plane mad Harry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
No need for an oil cooler in your case and a modine is a sort of oil cooler fitted on impreza turbo`s as standard and are near the oil filter and they are round in shape and i am sure someone who can use a pc better than me will put a picture of one up for you.
Thanks, I appreciate you're time and comments.
Old 25 August 2015, 07:55 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yip all turbo imprezas have a modine basically water from the engine pumps round the oil filter which maintains oil at correct temp, only when heavily modded or track use then it becomes insufficient and an external oil cooler helps with temps.
You defo dont need one mate will only cause more engine wear due to the oil being too cool.
Old 25 August 2015, 10:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by **jay**
Yip all turbo imprezas have a modine basically water from the engine pumps round the oil filter which maintains oil at correct temp, only when heavily modded or track use then it becomes insufficient and an external oil cooler helps with temps.
You defo dont need one mate will only cause more engine wear due to the oil being too cool.
Anyone running an oil cooler without thermostatic control is daft mate, for the very reason you state.
Old 26 August 2015, 04:29 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

On stock WRX or STI I wouldn't use or run Oil cooler,you don't need to run,modine is great and will be enough for most of the time

And as above I wouldn't run Oil cooler without the running thermostatic sandwich plate in cold weather,because yours oil will be in low 70's or late 60's and those temps are very low for any oil

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 August 2015, 01:32 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modine is a manufacturers brand name, they make oil to water heat exchangers. Great for bringing the oil up to temp quick (as the coolant will heat far quicker than the oil) and will also keep the oil temp stable when working the engine hard.
I don't run a cooler or modine at 353bhp. 👍