Notices

v4 sti engine into v2

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2015, 03:03 PM
nathmac
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v4 sti engine into v2

hi all just bought a v2 sti with blown engine ive been offered a v4 sti engine for it but was wondering if its a simple enough swap ie wiring different this is my first project so any help would be much appreciated thanks
Old 15 August 2015, 03:15 PM
GreedoGC8
Scooby Regular

v2 to v4 have different compression ratios, different ignition setups and the ecus go from 4 to 3 plug, respectively. im not sure how much work would be involved in matching everything up but if its your first project id probably look for a v1/2 just to keep things simple. i just fitted my v2 wrx with a v1 wrx type ra forged shortblock, and it was all pretty much mix n match the best parts of each engine, plug n play bud.
Old 15 August 2015, 03:25 PM
nathmac
Scooby Newbie

hmm so easiest thing Is to find another v2 then would v2 wrx be straight swap then?definitley need something simple for a first project haha
Old 15 August 2015, 03:28 PM
bigdal
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=nathmac;11724366]hi all just bought a v2 sti with blown engine ive been offered a v4 sti engine for it but was wondering if its a simple enough swap ie wiring different this is my first project so any help would be much appreciated

Why not just fit the bottom end that's what I did
Old 15 August 2015, 03:41 PM
nathmac
Scooby Newbie

this is my first project so not to clued up on them as far as I know the complete engine is gone no compression in 4 3 is ok but 2 and 1 only reading 80 so just assumed the complete engine is a write off?
Old 15 August 2015, 07:24 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The suggestion is that since it's the bottom end that's gone, use the V4 bottom end but the V2 heads and inlet manifold. This solves the electrical incompatibilities as all the incompatible electrical stuff is on the manifold (throttle position sensor and idle control), the injectors use the same connectors, and you can use the coils from the V1/2 engine OK.
Old 15 August 2015, 08:14 PM
nathmac
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the replies much appreciated but looks like someone has already replaced engine and box with a wrx as the code on the code on the box fitted is for a wrx how can I tell what the engine is from? it has sti turbo and inlet manifold and ej20 stamped on the block .thanks
Old 15 August 2015, 09:11 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

V1 to v4 heads have the same "inline" stud patterns which means you can fit the v4 long block (block and heads) to the v2 car .

You just have to fit the v2 water cross over pipe and small bore black metal coolant pipe that's attached to it ,then everything else from the heads upwards

The cars v2 phase 1 inlet , p.s pump ,turbo ,intake tract, header tank ,fuel rails/injectors ,icv ,tps,coil packs ,engine loom ect .....

then it will mate up with the cars loom and ecu no problem

It will definitely fit mechanically as I have fitted a v1 sti engine into a phase 1.5 v3 uk turbo ran it for 7k ,then converted back to v1 phase 1 and fitted it into another v1 sti (long story lol) but I did have a map tweek afterwards as the v3 ran esl and v1 runs apexi ecu

As there is a difference in cam profile/power output between v2 sti and v4 sti .So I would recommend getting it it remapped (or at least on a dyno) afterwards to make sure the fuelling and timing are ok .
Old 16 August 2015, 11:23 AM
nathmac
Scooby Newbie

great thanks for the help guys much appreciated hopefully get an engine sourced soon