Notices

japspeed fmic limits, 500??

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2015, 07:30 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default japspeed fmic limits, 500??

Just wondered if anyone has any input on what the limits of a japspeed front mount is, the blurb says up to 600, is that just blurb?
Old 10 June 2015, 07:37 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to 470 and inlet temps according to mapper were fine however I suspect it wasn't flowing very well
Old 10 June 2015, 07:40 PM
oiler
Scooby Regular

Seen 520 on meth with mine, did have Charlie at SRR jumping out and spraying it with a garden spray between runs!
Old 11 June 2015, 12:24 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently have one on mine and it's a right load of cheap rubbish. Wanted a hdi hybrid but they weren't available at the time so went japspeed as a temp measure.
Mapper said it was holding car back.
But cheap but twice!

Avoid
Old 11 June 2015, 01:13 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are run Japspeed FMIC at 490bhp plus NOS and temps has been good too,but this really depends on more factors there

I wouldn't recommend if you are going beyond 500bhp,500bhp is about right limit of the FMIC,above that I would choose HDI

On Japspeed during very hot days mainly in traffic we are suffered with heatsoak as every FMIC owner,due this we are used for cooling inlet temps WMI manual override button which has helped to reduce inlet temps...

On track days in hot weather we are not seen higher than 40-45C(if you take to quotation outside temps has been in high 20's,early 30's).But we are seen too 55C on Santa pod(mainly in traffic)when outside has been highest temps(high 30's)

For money as temporary is great kit,but on longer run I would go with HDI if you are looking break 500bhp

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 11 June 2015, 01:02 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the input, this is the same car that I asked about the HKS supersilent exhaust a few weeks ago, it's made 420bhp at best so far and as soon as you try and go over 1.5bar it just drops power. spec is
forged 2.5 avcs heads
precision 500+ bhp turbo
japspeed fmic
63mm intercooler pipework running clockwise to avoid the 180deg bend out of the turbo
uk 1999 inlet manifold with heat spaces
rcm group N intake with rcm airfilter
3" downpipe and system
Old 12 June 2015, 05:06 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Thanks for the input, this is the same car that I asked about the HKS supersilent exhaust a few weeks ago, it's made 420bhp at best so far and as soon as you try and go over 1.5bar it just drops power. spec is
forged 2.5 avcs heads
precision 500+ bhp turbo
japspeed fmic
63mm intercooler pipework running clockwise to avoid the 180deg bend out of the turbo
uk 1999 inlet manifold with heat spaces
rcm group N intake with rcm airfilter
3" downpipe and system
Hi there

Again that car?

What ACT temps are you seeing during the mapping session ?

Not sure why you couldn't make more on that spec?

Did you check timing on the cambelt/timing belt etc just to be sure is nothing with engine?

If everything is fine,then I would go again with HDI,has been proven on numerous cars and should be OK for yours customer car

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2015, 06:14 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt say theintercooler would hold back 80hp....

Im using an autobahn fmic and still makig upwards of 550hp on the meth map... (they are pretty much the same thing)

Anyone who quotes "I suspect it is holding things back" after the mapper was fine with it, probably is just anecdotal evidence and I wouldnt count it towards anything....

Is the AVCS operating correctly?
Old 12 June 2015, 07:50 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Has it been de catted?

The reason I ask is that I had similar problems except I was running a sports cat downpipe. The cat had collapsed and choked the car as soon as boost was applied.

Cut the sports cat out and solved the problem big time.
Old 12 June 2015, 10:39 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The engine is working fine, it's making 420/460 ftlbs so we know it's working ok with those torque numbers. Steve Simpson is mapping it and I work alot with him with my cars and various customer cars so theres no bull there. It had a full 3" de-cat system fitted, the owner took the car away and has had someone else looking at it. They said my cam timing was out, re timed it and it made 20bhp less! lol. Its got a Precision 500+ bhp turbo fitted, it just seems to be a breathing issue as as soon as Steve takes the boost above 1.5 bar the temps rise and power drops off, its got RCM headers and up-pipe so the onle 2 things i'm not sure of now is the intercooler and pipe work and the intake pipe (RCM GrpN ) and RCM filter.
He has also had a compresion test done and a leakdown test, all spot on.
Old 13 June 2015, 03:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

The engine is working fine, it's making 420/460 ftlbs so we know it's working ok with those torque numbers. Steve Simpson is mapping it and I work alot with him with my cars and various customer cars so theres no bull there. It had a full 3" de-cat system fitted, the owner took the car away and has had someone else looking at it. They said my cam timing was out, re timed it and it made 20bhp less! lol. Its got a Precision 500+ bhp turbo fitted, it just seems to be a breathing issue as as soon as Steve takes the boost above 1.5 bar the temps rise and power drops off, its got RCM headers and up-pipe so the onle 2 things i'm not sure of now is the intercooler and pipe work and the intake pipe (RCM GrpN ) and RCM filter.
He has also had a compresion test done and a leakdown test, all spot on.
Hi there

Agree with Daz about the sport cat,I think he run Zerosport Downpipe and he struggled to make more power on his LM what I remember

Not sure why this is doing,but what I remember from our experience with restriction,we are run H&S twisted kit and we are couldn't make more than 490bhp on 35R,we are replaced exhaust(we are went from HKS to BuddyClub Spec IV) and Neil have look on everything,but he couldn't find anything what is wrong,on second mapping session I've spoke with Neil and he said,he probably know why this happen,we are took car there and he found our twisted Up pipe has have fitted something like Venturi,which has restricted flow and there has been marks on the wastegate ports as gases tried to escape etc,later on Stew@TFS has make for us custom up pipe etc and we are made 555.5bhp/520lb-ft on 30R

I would have look on Up pipe and headers and if they're OK and not leaking(leak should only increase lag,not decrease of the actual power),RCM induction kit should be OK,we run same on our wagon and we are been OK,although we are run custom inlet pipe

FMIC should be up to job too and should be OK for 500bhp and bit beyond

Precision turbo are sometimes hit and miss,we are run Precision SC34 on EP3 Type R and we are made on 2.25" exhaust 382bhp although,mapper tried to run bit more boost,but he couldn't go beyond 380bhp as exhaust created lots of restriction,friend has run same turbo in US and he couldn't make more than 300bhp on same boost,due this I would and I'm very careful with anything what is called Precision

Do you have any similar turbo to rule out,is the turbo or headers etc ?

If yes I would do that for sake of testing at least

Good luck there,hope so you will find this restriction

Thanks,Jura
Old 13 June 2015, 11:28 AM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

I have a similar dilemma I have an hdi but going twisted, the pipe work needs a lot of work, so it was suggested to get a jap speed as there is less modification but if it struggles above 500 what do I do?????
Old 13 June 2015, 11:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark10sti
I have a similar dilemma I have an hdi but going twisted, the pipe work needs a lot of work, so it was suggested to get a jap speed as there is less modification but if it struggles above 500 what do I do?????
Hi there

I would stick with HDI,its better FMIC there without the doubts

On HDI you will need to modify two pipes there and this shouldn't be too hard

Which one HDI you have there ?

Thanks,Jura
Old 14 June 2015, 01:47 AM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

I would stick with HDI,its better FMIC there without the doubts

On HDI you will need to modify two pipes there and this shouldn't be too hard

Which one HDI you have there ?

Thanks,Jura
I have the gt2 what pipes need alteration an how/ where do these need changing??
Old 14 June 2015, 04:09 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I have the gt2 what pipes need alteration an how/ where do these need changing??
Hi there

I will try to show you which one you need to modify and this should be easy to modify for any garage there

Thanks,Jura
Old 14 June 2015, 11:16 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

What size (mm) is the inlet pipe and induction as I was told to go 80mm from turbo to filter and get a 80mm maf housing aswell as it may cause problems otherwise
Old 14 June 2015, 11:02 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I will try to show you which one you need to modify and this should be easy to modify for any garage there

Thanks,Jura

Excellent that would be extremely helpful
Old 15 June 2015, 11:28 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the input folks, what about pipe diameter? It's running the std bore as supplied with the kit, my Customer has been told by EVERYONE that ive fitted a cheap intercooler and thats the problem, hence why i'm trying to get as much info as posssible.
Old 15 June 2015, 12:12 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input folks, what about pipe diameter? It's running the std bore as supplied with the kit, my Customer has been told by EVERYONE that ive fitted a cheap intercooler and thats the problem, hence why i'm trying to get as much info as posssible.
If you mean me mate I'm not talking about the intercooler pipe , the inlet from filter to turbo inlet pipe as iv been told it's very restrictive unless you make the whole track larger from filter to turbo so iv got a 80mm inlet and matching maf housing
Old 15 June 2015, 03:48 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stick a thermocouple wire in the airflow post turbo and find out how much heat the turbo is creating when the boost is raised. I have one pemanently placed under the connecting pipe/ jubilee to the intercooler and it can be done cheaply.
For comparison my forged 2.5 with non avcs heads,TMIC,W/M I 450hp turbo making 466hp at 1.6bar runs temps 120-135c post compressor wheel. A bigger turbo running the same boost should produce less heat. If the outlet temps are similar but the ACT's post intercooler are raised then that would indicate the intercooler. If compressor outlet temps are much higher and I've seen 190/200c then it could be anything that's causing the turbo to work harder than it need.
Trev
Old 16 June 2015, 12:29 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
What size (mm) is the inlet pipe and induction as I was told to go 80mm from turbo to filter and get a 80mm maf housing aswell as it may cause problems otherwise
Hi there

Not sure,but we run 2.5" solid inlet as induction pipe on Syvecs and MDX321T with RCM induction kit and Japspeed FMIC and we are made 490bhp/480lb-ft

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0524.jpg
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0526.jpg
Size:  159.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Size:  146.4 KB

On MAF based ECU this can be issue,but not on the MAP based ECU like is Simtek/Alcatek/Syvecs or ESL etc I would say this doesn't make big difference,but this depends on turbo and inlet of the turbo etc,that's my view there

Thanks,Jura
Old 16 June 2015, 09:51 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Thats virtually exactly how ive done the pipe work, also 63mm. It's running mafless/Simtek, with a big RCM filter and a RCM hardpipe to the turbo which is std size into the compressor housing.
Old 16 June 2015, 04:09 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Thats virtually exactly how ive done the pipe work, also 63mm. It's running mafless/Simtek, with a big RCM filter and a RCM hardpipe to the turbo which is std size into the compressor housing.
Hi there

As I said,we run 490bhp on that setup and on V-Power we are made 452bhp on MDX321T,exhaust we run HKS and Japspeed FMIC and due this I don't think this or those parts can cause any sort of restrictions

I would rather have look on headers and Up pipe and if those parts are OK,then I would swap the turbo,just rule out all this

Good luck with sorting this there

Thanks,Jura
Old 17 June 2015, 01:43 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Thanks,Jura

Did you have any joy working out what pipes need altering and how??
Old 17 June 2015, 02:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Did you have any joy working out what pipes need altering and how??
Hi there

Please have look on this:

Name:  IMG_0526%20Mod.jpg
Size:  498.5 KB

And how should looks on yours after modifying the pipework

Name:  IMG_1580Copy.jpg
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1577Copy.jpg
Size:  156.4 KB

As you can see you will need to modify two pipes at least to have Hybrid FMIC fitted on yours

Or you can try go with Hybrid from GC8 and this can make yours life bit easier as I know HDI has made two models of their FMIC(one pipe goes underneath the car and one as on Japspeed),due this if you have this model where pipe goes underneath the car this can complicate yours modifying of pipework,but its doable

Here is older GC8 Hybrid one

Name:  DSCF2302-1-1.jpg
Size:  107.4 KB

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 17 June 2015, 03:20 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Ran my pipework the same under the manifold