Notices

exhaust manifold bolt/stud removal

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2015, 01:09 AM
biggy wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust manifold bolt/stud removal

Hi. I'm trying to remove my exhaust manifold on my classic. The passenger side was fairly straight forward, 2 nuts came lose and 1 stud and but.
My problem is the nuts on 2 of the studs on the drivers side are practically not there, a lot of corrosion.
Is there any tool I can you use too take them out whole inc studs?

Thanks for looking
Old 20 April 2015, 11:10 AM
biggy wagon
Scooby Regular

???
Old 20 April 2015, 11:40 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Get a blow torch on the nut and bang on next size down socket, get it really hot the nut, if that doesn't work you can buy a socket with backward teeth so it digs into the nut as you turn the socket to undo it
Old 20 April 2015, 11:42 AM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Get two new nuts, thread them onto the stud.

Then use two spanners to 'lock' them against each other (turning the first nut you put on in the direction to loosen it, turning the last nut you put on in the direction to tighten it) the effect should be to remove the whole stud complete with nuts !

Bit difficult to explain in words but self explanatory once you get the two nuts threaded onto the stud.

I can't take credit for this one, someone on here told me years ago and it works a treat.
Old 20 April 2015, 04:42 PM
biggy wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
Get a blow torch on the nut and bang on next size down socket, get it really hot the nut, if that doesn't work you can buy a socket with backward teeth so it digs into the nut as you turn the socket to undo it
I've got the special sockets but there's just not enough there too grip. Will try a bit of heat tho. CheeRS
Old 20 April 2015, 04:45 PM
biggy wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheVoices
Get two new nuts, thread them onto the stud.

Then use two spanners to 'lock' them against each other (turning the first nut you put on in the direction to loosen it, turning the last nut you put on in the direction to tighten it) the effect should be to remove the whole stud complete with nuts !

Bit difficult to explain in words but self explanatory once you get the two nuts threaded onto the stud.

I can't take credit for this one, someone on here told me years ago and it works a treat.
I watched some thing like this on youtube. I thought the space might be a bit tight as the manifold is still in place and is a chunky unit. Will give it go. Cheers pal
Old 20 April 2015, 11:46 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Other ideas first but if all else fails you can cut/grind the nut off. Or hit it with a chisel splitting it. Once the tension is off the stud should come out easier. The only issue is if the stud won't come out it's ruined so you really have to get that stud out and replace it.

Or you can weld onto the stud/nut either a new head of a bolt or a bar to twist. But be careful doing this with the nut still on and the manifold in place as you may weld something together making things harder!
Old 21 April 2015, 10:34 AM
biggy wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
Other ideas first but if all else fails you can cut/grind the nut off. Or hit it with a chisel splitting it. Once the tension is off the stud should come out easier. The only issue is if the stud won't come out it's ruined so you really have to get that stud out and replace it.

Or you can weld onto the stud/nut either a new head of a bolt or a bar to twist. But be careful doing this with the nut still on and the manifold in place as you may weld something together making things harder!