Upgrade Advice for a 07 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2015, 10:36 PM
Zev
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Advice for a 07 WRX

Evening Lads,

Five months ago I found the below motor which is completely standard, full extensive service history, 63,000 miles and one previous owner who was in his 60's. I told myself that I would leave it alone, but the problem with having a bit of power is that now I want some more.

I'm relatively new to doing work on cars myself, my current experience is changing a belt and replacing the breakpads/disks. I have plans to clean up and dress the engine bay as well as some grills for the front but I want to explore the options of increasing the power. My question to the ScoobyNet community is;

Where would you start when looking to upgrade a stock WRX?

Also if you could point me in the right direction for Garages that specialize in this kind of work it would be great!

Cheers,

Z
Old 20 April 2015, 03:41 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

first things for me were a proper service, then a boost gauge and a fuel pump. After that I just started following the andy forrest list:
http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/27344.html

Been very happy with the results so far. The 2.5 is a nice engine and responds well to a remap with a good exhaust on it.
Old 20 April 2015, 09:58 PM
Zev
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
first things for me were a proper service, then a boost gauge and a fuel pump. After that I just started following the andy forrest list:
http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/27344.html

Been very happy with the results so far. The 2.5 is a nice engine and responds well to a remap with a good exhaust on it.
Hi bludgod,

Thanks for the feed back! I'm actually looking for a garage that will do a full service though I contacted one dealership and they quoted £900 (Not including CAM as its already been done). I really want to learn how to do it myself to be honest!

I'm currently looking to replace the Stock Exhaust at the moment but I don't want anything too loud else I'll **** all the neighbors off. Or is that part of the fun?!

I've booked in for a power run as it stands so I will be able to see the before and after mods!

Z
Old 20 April 2015, 10:49 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

for 900 quid if you have some space around you to work it may be worth having a crack yourself. Nothing beyond a basic toolkit should be required to get you up and running.

Oil/filer change, plugs, fuel filter, gearbox oil, diff oil should be within your reach if you have time and inclination. Plugs are a complete pain in the butt and the intercooler always likes to pick a fight with me going back on but practice makes perfect.

It's also a good opportunity to get to know your car a little better, if you have a set of axel stands then doing the downpipe should be achieveable too if you get a dry spell. See if you can find the PPP sports cat and a resonated center section, that will keep the sound down even if you do go for a slightly noiser backbox. Again the prodrive backbox gives a bit of sound but isn't waking the whole postcode when you fire up.
Old 21 April 2015, 12:42 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Personbally I would speak with Neil@Slowboy Racing,he is located near Brands Hatch,we are used Neil on our wagon which has run from 250bhp to 555.5bhp,he build for us engines and take whole maintenance of the our wagon etc

He is very knowledgeable and he is very reasonably priced or he have very good prices and he is very helpful

Where I would start?

I would start with health check on Dyno(please speak with Charlie@Surry rolling road,he is maybe far from you,but if you are in London area,then I wouldn't think is too far from you)

Then I would go down the route of full service and then I would go down the increasing the power,on yours stock WRX turbo you should be able make 270-300bhp without the issue,stock TMIC is good enough,good exhaust I would have look on HKS exhaust,I always loved them and they are pretty quiet on the idle,low revs and have awesome sound in high revs,second option is Revolution exhaust

Agree I would add good fuel pump,I've good experience with HRC,we are used them on our wagon always,genuine Walbro I would recommend too if budget is

Good spark plugs like PFR7B I would add to the list,then you should be on good way to increase more power

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 21 April 2015, 05:15 PM
Zev
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I've got a rough plan of action which starts with a power run this weekend which should enable me to see track progress from Standard.

I will also be sourcing a new Exhaust this weekend though I'm yet to make up my mind...