ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   exhaust manifold bolt/stud removal (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1023402-exhaust-manifold-bolt-stud-removal.html)

biggy wagon 20 April 2015 01:09 AM

exhaust manifold bolt/stud removal

Hi. I'm trying to remove my exhaust manifold on my classic. The passenger side was fairly straight forward, 2 nuts came lose and 1 stud and but.
My problem is the nuts on 2 of the studs on the drivers side are practically not there, a lot of corrosion.
Is there any tool I can you use too take them out whole inc studs?

Thanks for looking

biggy wagon 20 April 2015 11:10 AM

???

*matthewturb2000* 20 April 2015 11:40 AM

Get a blow torch on the nut and bang on next size down socket, get it really hot the nut, if that doesn't work you can buy a socket with backward teeth so it digs into the nut as you turn the socket to undo it

TheVoices 20 April 2015 11:42 AM

Get two new nuts, thread them onto the stud.

Then use two spanners to 'lock' them against each other (turning the first nut you put on in the direction to loosen it, turning the last nut you put on in the direction to tighten it) the effect should be to remove the whole stud complete with nuts !

Bit difficult to explain in words but self explanatory once you get the two nuts threaded onto the stud.

I can't take credit for this one, someone on here told me years ago and it works a treat.

biggy wagon 20 April 2015 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11668241)
Get a blow torch on the nut and bang on next size down socket, get it really hot the nut, if that doesn't work you can buy a socket with backward teeth so it digs into the nut as you turn the socket to undo it

I've got the special sockets but there's just not enough there too grip. Will try a bit of heat tho. CheeRS

biggy wagon 20 April 2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheVoices (Post 11668245)
Get two new nuts, thread them onto the stud.

Then use two spanners to 'lock' them against each other (turning the first nut you put on in the direction to loosen it, turning the last nut you put on in the direction to tighten it) the effect should be to remove the whole stud complete with nuts !

Bit difficult to explain in words but self explanatory once you get the two nuts threaded onto the stud.

I can't take credit for this one, someone on here told me years ago and it works a treat.

I watched some thing like this on youtube. I thought the space might be a bit tight as the manifold is still in place and is a chunky unit. Will give it go. Cheers pal

FMJ 20 April 2015 11:46 PM

Other ideas first but if all else fails you can cut/grind the nut off. Or hit it with a chisel splitting it. Once the tension is off the stud should come out easier. The only issue is if the stud won't come out it's ruined so you really have to get that stud out and replace it.

Or you can weld onto the stud/nut either a new head of a bolt or a bar to twist. But be careful doing this with the nut still on and the manifold in place as you may weld something together making things harder!

biggy wagon 21 April 2015 10:34 AM

:thumb:

Originally Posted by FMJ (Post 11668682)
Other ideas first but if all else fails you can cut/grind the nut off. Or hit it with a chisel splitting it. Once the tension is off the stud should come out easier. The only issue is if the stud won't come out it's ruined so you really have to get that stud out and replace it.

Or you can weld onto the stud/nut either a new head of a bolt or a bar to twist. But be careful doing this with the nut still on and the manifold in place as you may weld something together making things harder!

:thumb: