Notices

engine swap problems avcs vs non avcs

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2015, 12:16 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap problems avcs vs non avcs

Ok so long story cut short my friends engine decided to let go and he ordered up a new one and asked me to help him throw it in, did this the other evening and I went back to help him wire it up with and deal with plumbing etc.

Well in the light I noticed that his old engine has AVCS system with the plugs on the top of both rocker covers and pipe work linked to the turbo feed and the new engine does not at all, I know the engine will run without AVCS as I know many STI owners delete it however my question is...

...will this engine run ok as is with just the AVCS sensor not plugged in? or is their any difference in cam sensor fitting etc or any other potential risks?

Thank you massively in advance!

Last edited by Sk8xtrm; 11 February 2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11 February 2015, 12:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

why on earth would you want to run a avcs engine without avcs?

iirc hamster ran his with the avcs disabled due to the ecu not being able to run avcs, not an ideal situation though.

wern't avcs engines drive by wire and none avcs not?
Old 11 February 2015, 01:14 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
why on earth would you want to run a avcs engine without avcs?

iirc hamster ran his with the avcs disabled due to the ecu not being able to run avcs, not an ideal situation though.

wern't avcs engines drive by wire and none avcs not?

sorry for any confusion but the issue is that new engine is not an AVCS engine yet the old one was(removed as bottom end gave up).

So the new engine is in place and I noticed a lack of AVCS system so as he doesn't want to order a different engine and wants me to try get this running I wanted to find out if I can just run it like this. as in are the cam sensors the same etc and its just a case of not being able to plug the AVCS system in as its none existent on the new one.

In regards to the drive by wire as far as I am aware this rule of thumb applies to UK variants only. some Jap engines had avcs on them from around 2001 with cable.
Old 11 February 2015, 01:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

lots of variations so not always exact, might be better to return the engine, take the hit on restocking and getting right engine. think there are other differences as well
Old 11 February 2015, 01:37 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

lots of variations so not always exact, might be better to return the engine, take the hit on restocking and getting right engine. think there are other differences as well

worried that might be the case. I am assuming they either sent him the wrong engine or he neglected to tell them his was an 2001 import with AVCS

please also correct me if I am wrong but on these early variants the AVCS is run purely off oil pressure to the valve but what I cannot find any information on is what else is different...other than the obvious turbo oil feed pipe also being different.
Old 11 February 2015, 02:15 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Basically, have you got the l/h inlet cam sensor that picks up on the back of the cam pulley, under the oil filler neck ? Is this a 2.0 engine ?

All avc's run on oil pressure to work, but require triggers & solonoids to operate via the ecu input.
Old 11 February 2015, 02:32 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Basically, have you got the l/h inlet cam sensor that picks up on the back of the cam pulley, under the oil filler neck ? Is this a 2.0 engine ?

All avc's run on oil pressure to work, but require triggers & solonoids to operate via the ecu input.

They are both 2.0ltr yes and yes i have the inlet cam sensors from both engines still in place on the blocks. are these the same then, as in would the ecu still pick up cam angle etc from the none AVCS cam sensor or is the pick up on the actual cam different?

anyway of making the engine work or would it actually just plug and run kind of like doing a AVCS delete? To confirm it will be 100% going for a map after this anyway.

Cheers to you both for the info and help to however frustrating this is its also nice to learn more
Old 11 February 2015, 02:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

yes can be made to work, but correct engine would be a better option.

Problem you have is why most tuners advise a rebuilt, rather than new/second hand engine
Old 11 February 2015, 02:59 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sk8xtrm
They are both 2.0ltr yes and yes i have the inlet cam sensors from both engines still in place on the blocks. are these the same then, as in would the ecu still pick up cam angle etc from the none AVCS cam sensor or is the pick up on the actual cam different?

anyway of making the engine work or would it actually just plug and run kind of like doing a AVCS delete? To confirm it will be 100% going for a map after this anyway.

Cheers to you both for the info and help to however frustrating this is its also nice to learn more

It should run with the crank & cam sensors connected, that said, you may well have the engine light on the dash until you get the avc's sensors switched off in the ecu.

As for the turbo feed pipe, just get a braided aftermarket one.

Last edited by MOTORS S GT; 11 February 2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11 February 2015, 03:04 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

yes can be made to work, but correct engine would be a better option.

Problem you have is why most tuners advise a rebuilt, rather than new/second hand engine
Totally agree with that logic...cost is the restriction in the scenario I believe!

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
It should run with the crank & cam sensors connected, that said, you may well have the engine light on the dash until you get the avc's sensors switched off in the ecu.
That is good news, I will provide feedback once I have finished putting it together if she runs ok just encase anyone else searches for a similar issue in the future.

Just to confirm as far as you guys know then, is their no difference in the actual cam sensor then other than it having more functions in the ecu itself to trigger the AVCS solenoids.
Old 11 February 2015, 03:16 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

The front single cam sensor does the same job on both engines, the avc's engine has the cam triggers in the rear of both heads for avc's functions, the later engines had no front sensor, but a missing cam trigger tooth for avc's & cam position info, these being 3 wire sensors not 2 like yours.
Old 16 February 2015, 03:28 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Hey all just thought I would update this and ask for a little more help sorry, it will turn over but wont fire, I had had a look and I have spark and fuel however upon further inspecting I note the only difference I can see now is that the crank pulley is different for the crank sensor pick up, I think the one the AVCS engine has 36 teeth and the new engine appears to have 12 very spaced apart in comparison.
my assumption is the current ecu cannot pick up crank location as a result of this massive difference in teeth/pick ups....or would the ecu read both ok and I have missed something on my install causing it not to start :S
Old 16 February 2015, 04:21 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Yes you are correct the avc's engines have the 36 tooth gear, it will pick up crank location with the other gear, its just not the right location for the ecu configurations,as the car is an avc's equipped car.
Old 16 February 2015, 05:00 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

MOTORS S GT you have been a huge help, thank you so much.

As far as you know is the pick up on the back of the cam the same or is that different to?
Old 16 February 2015, 06:32 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Yes, pick up on the back of the cam is the same on 2.0 engines.
Old 16 February 2015, 10:31 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is probablly irrelevant now but, If his previous engine had bottom end failure why didn't you just swap the heads over into the good block?
Old 08 July 2016, 01:48 AM
vernonlunceford
Scooby Newbie

Default ebay engine

I am new to this forum so I hope I am in the right category. I have an 03 Baja with right at 250.000 on it and I think a head gasket is leaking, I have oil in the water but no water in the oil. anyway I found engines on eBay that are like mine but it say it's a NON AVCS engine,( I have no idea what that means) they say the intake and the cam and crank gear needs to be changed, will that make it compatible with my existing computer? With that many miles, I kind of hate to take it out and replace the head gasket not knowing what might go next. thanks in advance for any advice you all might have.
Old 07 July 2017, 12:17 AM
Brettly88
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Sk8xtrm
Hey all just thought I would update this and ask for a little more help sorry, it will turn over but wont fire, I had had a look and I have spark and fuel however upon further inspecting I note the only difference I can see now is that the crank pulley is different for the crank sensor pick up, I think the one the AVCS engine has 36 teeth and the new engine appears to have 12 very spaced apart in comparison.

my assumption is the current ecu cannot pick up crank location as a result of this massive difference in teeth/pick ups....or would the ecu read both ok and I have missed something on my install causing it not to start :S

crank gear and left intake cam as well as the sensors need to pulled and use the ones from your usdm motor
Old 28 November 2017, 06:04 PM
SubieLover25
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by vernonlunceford
I am new to this forum so I hope I am in the right category. I have an 03 Baja with right at 250.000 on it and I think a head gasket is leaking, I have oil in the water but no water in the oil. anyway I found engines on eBay that are like mine but it say it's a NON AVCS engine,( I have no idea what that means) they say the intake and the cam and crank gear needs to be changed, will that make it compatible with my existing computer? With that many miles, I kind of hate to take it out and replace the head gasket not knowing what might go next. thanks in advance for any advice you all might have.
Found this helpful blog post about the early JDM engine like the one you described on iWire's site. They also have AVCS wiring if people end up with an AVCS JDM engine.