Fuel lines rattling

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2015, 01:33 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel lines rattling

Hi All,

Got an odd one - wondering if anybody else has experienced the same.

When starting the car up for the first time of the day, I've got a pretty loud rattling sound coming up through the fuel lines in the passenger sill, under the carpet.

This rattle sometimes starts before the car even cranks (when the fuel pump is priming) so I'm pretty sure it's not a rattle caused from engine movement.

15-25seconds after the car has started, the noise goes away and I rarely hear it until the car is left to sit for several hours (and the fuel system subsequently depressurises I guess).

Unfortunately, I've recently changed most parts of the fuel system including:

SWRD 340lph fuel pump
AEM FPR
CDF Billet rails
ID1000s

To start swapping bits out is going to take me a lot of time and a lot of spare parts I don't really have lying around... so trying to narrow this down to an experience that somebody else has had!

I've lifted the carpet up and all the pipes are running in their brackets properly - and I'm unable to dampen the sound by even pushing my hands on the pipework - though I can feel the vibrations inside the pipes if that makes sense.

As it sometimes occurs before the car even cranks, I'm leaning towards the fuel pump causing it... but no idea why.

Any thoughts?
Old 01 February 2015, 01:45 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Fuel pump been secured to the cage tight/correctly?
Old 01 February 2015, 05:46 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The metal lines are well secured and are kept far enough apart that they won't touch. So your problem is not the lines. It's the parts you have fitted or their effect. Unless of course the lines have popped out somewhere or are touching something else. Or one of the clips to the chassis is broken?
Old 06 February 2015, 02:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've had the fuel pump assembly out of the car today, to check for anything obvious. Everything at the boot end of the car seems fine, the fuel pump was attached and secure and no pipes were loose or catching on anything I could see.

With all the rear bench out and the fuel tank in view, I cranked the car and sure enough could hear the rattling loud as you like but isolated still to the passenger sill/dashboard area. The rear of the car is quiet.

I noticed the rubber grommet type thing that the fuel lines come through beneath the rear bench, and I see there seems to be a similar one in the engine bay firewall. The sound could be coming from that, but I can't really access it from the engine bay side, and it seems well buried behind the dash on the interior side.

This is really frustrating, as I can only replicate it on the first crank up of the day - so only way a garage can look is if I leave it with them, which I'm really trying to avoid.
Old 08 February 2015, 04:49 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Was cleaning up in the engine bay today, started the car and I heard the AEM FPR making a noise that sounds very much like it could be the source of my noise through the fuel lines.

Obviously behind the noise of the engine ticking over, it wasn't anywhere near as intrusive so I think I've just got a reverberation in the pipes amplifying the sound inside the cabin.

Not sure what I can do to fix it, maybe wrapping the pipes in some rag to dampen it but I was unable to muffle the sound at all by pushing my hand against the lines in the passenger sill, so may have to sort it closer to the firewall which I guess means dash out job

Anyone else heard of an AEM FPR causing this?
Old 08 February 2015, 05:40 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you remove the glove box you may be able to get your hands up there....

I would have thought the rubber hoses would have cancelled out any vibration. Not even sure why it would be vibrating like that. My sard one certainly doesn't.
Old 08 February 2015, 05:57 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I may just swap out the FPR if it annoys me too much - see if a different brand fixes it.

Would be a shame though to chuck that cash away.
Old 08 February 2015, 06:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had a BMW where the fuel pressure regulator failed that made the fuel lines makes weird and wonderful noises. Sounded like air was in the return line.

Fuel rail wouldn't maintain pressure when the engine was turned off. It should hold its pressure for at least a few minutes.

So I'd get a pressure gauge on the rail, a failed reg can make the engine run lean under load.
Old 08 February 2015, 06:35 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Any recommendations for an FPR with -6AN fittings?
Old 08 February 2015, 07:45 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FUELAB no contest......
Old 08 February 2015, 07:59 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alyn, may give you a call tomorrow.