Burning oil smell when engine warmed

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2015, 05:37 PM
Kpeter20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil smell when engine warmed

2004 WRX all standard.

Last week or so I've noticed a smell of burning oil when engine warmed and if I've had a heavy right foot. It's coming in to the cabin and can smell it in engine bay. It smells like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine around the turbo area.

I've not seen any smoke but it's quite a strong smell.

It's been up on ramps and I've checked for leaks, drips etc.... Checked engine for any sign of weeping and can't find anything. Checked all pipes and hoses etc and still can find anything leaking.

Noticed a small amount of gearbox oil around exhaust area after recent change, it could be this but it's been two weeks since change and would have thought that's gone by now unless anyone can tell me it takes longer to burn off?? And with the smell seemingly only appearing after a blast it makes me think it's not this.

It's not using oil or coolant. I've noticed a tiny leak of aircon fluid around a small valve at the front of the engine bay but doubt this is the cause.

With me noticing it after a bit of a blast, is there anything else I should be looking for? Anything pressure wise that would only leak when running warm?

Ken
Old 26 January 2015, 05:40 PM
B16fun
Scooby Regular

I've read that the offside cam cover can weep a bit of oil which goes straight onto the exhaust. It would explain why it does it if the leak is only very minor you might not get anything when it's cold but a it warms and the oil thins you may get a few drips, straight on the exhaust so you get the burning oil smell but can't physically see a leak.
Andy.

Last edited by B16fun; 26 January 2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 26 January 2015, 05:43 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

Smells of new tarmac? That'll be a leaking half-moon seal, but check it to be 100% certain. Very common and easy to fix. Lots of threads about it.
Old 26 January 2015, 05:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

check around the turbo as the turbo seals could be in the early stages of failure
Old 26 January 2015, 05:48 PM
Kpeter20
Scooby Regular

I've had my head in and around all the parts mentioned and can't see anything. Was fine before recent service and something's telling me that it's a worn pipe or something that's being knocked out of place but I just can't find it! My guess is that's somethings dripping on turbo or exhaust but looks dry when stopped and no smoke that I can see. Frustrating and smelly rather than serious, I hope.
Old 26 January 2015, 05:50 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kpeter20
I've had my head in and around all the parts mentioned and can't see anything. Was fine before recent service and something's telling me that it's a worn pipe or something that's being knocked out of place but I just can't find it! My guess is that's somethings dripping on turbo or exhaust but looks dry when stopped and no smoke that I can see. Frustrating and smelly rather than serious, I hope.
have you got small hands? if so have a good feel around everywhere when its cold
Old 26 January 2015, 05:53 PM
Kpeter20
Scooby Regular

Will have a root around tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the replies. I'm fairly new here and it's great to have so many people replying in short space of time.
Old 26 January 2015, 05:57 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

if its the rocker gaskets they will drip onto the manifold and when warm will burn off so have a good feel around the heads just above your manifold
Old 26 January 2015, 05:57 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

Easy to check if it's the half moon seals. Shine a torch down on the up-pipe and see if there's some treacle built up on the casing on the top (easier still if you remove the air filter).
Old 26 January 2015, 06:12 PM
Kpeter20
Scooby Regular

I've checked the rocker gaskets while on a ramp, they look fine. Will check out the half moons seals. As I say, never had the smell prior to full service and hoping it's just a pool of something or a tiny leak.
Old 26 January 2015, 06:15 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

Rockers and half moons = same thing really and you're better looking at it from the top of the engine. Sounds like you have a hunch there is a pipe issue so worth investigating. Cheers.
Old 26 January 2015, 09:02 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Check the turbo oil feed pipe, the steel pipe that's in front of the turbo and runs down to the back of the engine block, could be starting to leak?? I had one go recently.
Old 27 January 2015, 11:27 AM
Kpeter20
Scooby Regular

Checked all of the above this morning and can't find anything that would suggest a leak or drip etc......

Currently at a loss as to what it is. Going for a long drive to see if it's still a bit of gearbox oil on the exhaust somewhere and it's taking a while to burn away. After that im at the end of my technical ability and a garage it is lol.
Old 27 January 2015, 01:38 PM
Kpeter20
Scooby Regular

I've been out for a fairly long drive and it seems to be subsiding, guessing the oil spilled has just taken a while to burn off. Thanks for the replies.