Notices

Wiper upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2002, 01:33 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a silly question, but not really. Does anyone have any good solutions to the wipers lifting off the screen at speed, obviously when its raining. The std ones do seem pretty useless above 80-90mph, and they do get even worse after that. Is there any cheap and easy fixes?
Old 04 June 2002, 09:23 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

It's dead easy to get little "wings" that clip onto the wiper arm. My father first fitted them to his MG Midget back in the 70's but they're slightly more stylish these days.

I needed them when i got my MGBGT.

I can't remember where i bought them, Halfords i think but that was more than 10 years ago.
Old 04 June 2002, 10:03 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got the Bosch blades with a little "spoiler" on them - this works but they are noisy in light rain.

Also bought from Halfords.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 04 June 2002, 05:49 PM
Scooby Regular

The drivers side already has a spoiler thing on it. At speed, it just makes it very difficult for the wiper to return to start position due to the wind hitting it. I have, on various cars tried various spoler designs, none of which have been very successful. ie bosch, champion. Have also tried a spoiler thingy that mitsubishi add to wipers on some jeeps to help the same problem. I am talking about speeds a wee bit higher than 90mph obviously. While it may not be advisable doing these speeds, and more so in the wet, It would still be nice to be able to see properly. Up to 70-80mph the wipers seem to cope ok.
Old 04 June 2002, 07:45 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't know about Northern Ireland, but I know someone (not me!) who was successfully prosecuted for dangerous driving for doing 95MPH in heavy rain on the M1....

Thanks

Gavin
Old 05 June 2002, 12:24 AM
Scooby Regular

It rains a lot here
Old 05 June 2002, 05:10 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

There is another approach, slightly.

You are now talking about the wings working at keeping the wiper on the glass at higher speed but that it doesn't go to the "parked" position.

Is the glass polished? If the glass is polished then this will have two effects, let the rain run off itself easier and let the wiper swipe easier. I've heard of people even using halved potatoes for the same effect (on the glass, not the wiper) and at a fraction of the price of Glass Polish. It may need done every couple of weeks though.

Anyway, with the smooth glass you should still have no problem at lower speeds getting the water off.
Old 05 June 2002, 11:53 AM
IanA
Scooby Regular

I did my screen with something called Rain X (£6 from Halfords) At speed the rain runs off almost by itself. Works well on the side windows and rear screen too.

I've not had any problems with the wipers not going back, maybe the joints in the arms need a bit of lubrication. I've got RE010s on my car though so I wouldn't even attempt to do more than 90 in the rain
Old 05 June 2002, 05:27 PM
Scooby Regular

I have tried rain-x. It is very good, although i noticed it did caused slight smears when the wipers were used at lower speeds when there was not enough windspeed to clear the screen. Obviously this is very annoying. Its also the hassle of having to re-apply every couple of weeks. And when you do use the wipers, it helps to remove the coating it puts on.
Old 06 June 2002, 01:19 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

I haven't used rain-x but did use "rain racer". got it from a motorshow years ago year and still have half the bottle somewhere. Used to do a lot of driving over Pennines where it can get very damp for a lot of the year. Good stuff - anything over 35-ish and water flew off screen - no wipers needed . Was an idea to keep screen clean as flies / sludge reduced it's effectiveness.

Showing my age but I used to have wiper aerofoils on my Skoda Rapid () and found that over time they put more force on the blade (which you wanted) but then distorted it so it never wiped as well as it age hardened (might have also been me being too tight-fisted to buy new blades regularly )

Apple
Old 08 June 2002, 01:05 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Is it possible to get stronger springs for the wiper arms ? Would this help to keep the wipers on the glass ?