Notices

Just bought a scooby, anyone help with spec?

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2014, 01:28 PM
rpmayne
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a scooby, anyone help with spec?

Alright all, bought a Scooby to drive to Poland in over christmas, winter boots and snow, excellent fun. Now I'm here and addicted to turbo power, could anyone help me out with the following, with a general view to upping the power naturally.

This is a T registered UK 1999 wagon marked up as 2000 Turbo AWD. Now sorry for the probably daft question but is this the same spec as a UK WRX, just differently badged because its a wagon?

I've been reading about different Turbos fitted different internals between standard UK Turbo and STI cars. My simple understanding was that there were either Standard turbo or STi cars, but now I've read that someone was suggesting selling his 2000T and buying a WRX to upgrade. I'm wondering whether there is a sub-class being my one? If so, what makes it so?

I am basically looking for safe mods to get around 250-275bhp that won't age it too dramatically and keep reasonable mpg when cruising. Used to 200bhp ish fwd cars, the grip this thing has got it needs more…

Cheers.
Old 26 December 2014, 02:46 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You have an ECU that can be mapped with ECUtek software so you just need to find a decent mapper and a catless exhaust to get around that level. See if you can pickup a newage WRX intercooler as that will be a little bit bigger for you without too much fitting hassle.

Have a look at the andy forrest site for a shopping list:
http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58730.html
Old 26 December 2014, 03:47 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spec is different to a UK WRX as they are Newage cars....yours is a Classic.

UK got Turbo 2000 (saloon and wagon)
Japanese got WRX and STI (a few variant models)

Newage cars became know as WRX worldwide for the cheaper model, STI fro the more expensive model.

As has been mentioned,removing 1 cat at least and a remap should see a nice power increase.
Old 26 December 2014, 05:43 PM
rpmayne
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that, so in the classic shape uk cars were all 2000 turbo, and only imports were wrx or Sti?

Glad mine can be remapped, a bit of luck that, didn't realise some can't.

Now looking for a 2nd hand exhaust and the other bits on the website link, that's seems a good power increase for relatively little money.
Old 26 December 2014, 05:57 PM
cheekyron
Scooby Regular

Mine is a 2000/X turbo and I was told by a good well known mapper that with the decat and a map you could see 270bhp +

It was also recommended to fit a decent air filter and some suggest an updated fuel pump although he did say it wasn't really that important as I wasn't looking to take the car any further.

I picked up my exhaust and filter off ebay for a lot less than the rrp
Old 26 December 2014, 06:43 PM
rpmayne
Scooby Newbie

That sounds like the route I'll take, take it you were happy with the result over stock? Driving gently did the mpg stay the same? Looking at ebay now...