Notices

Newage handbrake adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2014, 03:40 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newage handbrake adjustment?

After fitting my Brembos and new handbrake shoes to accomodate, I need some advice on adjusting the handbrake. Now I know that you pop the rubber grommet off the back of the hub to adjust the mechanism at each wheel and that you adjust the lever travel under the centre console.

What I am stuck on is:

1. How on earth do I get the rubber grommet off? Trying to lever with a screwdriver looked very much like it was starting to tear one of them.

2. How do I know if it's lever or mechanism that wants adjusting?

As it stands, the handbrake works OK at the very top of the lever travel. It's useless any lower. It was great previously.
Old 03 November 2014, 03:44 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just pull the rubber off, you wind the shoes until they're touching then back them off a turn or two. Try that if it still needs adjustment then do the handle
Old 03 November 2014, 04:24 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I guess when they are touching, it will just become difficult to turn the adjuster any further?

The rubber really doesn't want to come off!
Old 03 November 2014, 04:24 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I guess when they are touching, it will just become difficult to turn the adjuster any further?

The rubber really doesn't want to come off!
Old 03 November 2014, 07:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
As it stands, the handbrake works OK at the very top of the lever travel. It's useless any lower. It was great previously.
The handbrake will feel poor until the new shoes are bedded in. It felt poor on mine when I replaced the rear discs and had to bed-in the existing shoes to the new drums.
Once you've adjusted everything, apply the handbrake a few times whilst driving.

JohnD
Old 03 November 2014, 07:05 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shoes don't bed in at all, as they only touch when the car is stationery, adjust via rubber grommet and take any slack up via cable adjuster inside the car.
Old 03 November 2014, 09:32 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The rubber grommet should just pull off although it may have bonded a little to the surface rust if it's been on there a while. Also, you want to be flicking the little adjuster notches up to tighten the handbrake, and flick down to loosen.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2014, 10:10 PM
corno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the grommets off you might find it easier to put a flat head into the sides and pop it off, should come out easily. To adjust you want have the hand brake off, push the castle tabs upwards to the sky (always go upwards) till you can no longer turn it, then adjust the handbrake in car so as it feels taught when you pull it up, you might have to give it a few yanks to relieve tension, and then try pushing tabs up again. Once taught and bolts tightened, go and push the castle tabs down 4 clicks and job done. If in doubt, consult service manual!
Old 03 November 2014, 11:07 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corno
To get the grommets off you might find it easier to put a flat head into the sides and pop it off, should come out easily. To adjust you want have the hand brake off, push the castle tabs upwards to the sky (always go upwards) till you can no longer turn it, then adjust the handbrake in car so as it feels taught when you pull it up, you might have to give it a few yanks to relieve tension, and then try pushing tabs up again. Once taught and bolts tightened, go and push the castle tabs down 4 clicks and job done. If in doubt, consult service manual!
Cheers, that's pretty comprehensive!