Newage PPP WRX - Turbo VF35 Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2014, 09:45 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newage PPP WRX - Turbo VF35 Upgrade Help

Hi guys,

Really need some help and advice. My turbo has begun to die on my WRX (2003 plate PPP model)

I am going to be upgrading to an Sti VF35 turbo.

I have bought a Walbro fuel pump so that is covered, however I have some questions.

Im looking for reliable power slightly above what I currently have (around 300bhp). I am not looking at extensive engine modification yet until I have upgraded my brakes clutch etc.

A few questions!

1. Apparently also the WRX gearbox is susceptible to failure when pushed, what are the best options to look at in preparation for it dying? I have read a hawkeye WRX (or even better - STI) gearbox will suit. Is this a straight fit?

2. When installing the VF35, is this literally a bolt on job? I understand that it is but I wanted to check. Also - I understand pink injectors are also recommended however how much will they restrict me if I simply change the turbo and upgrade the fuel pump (with a supporting map)?

3. Where is the best place to buy a VF35 from. Obviously, ebay has been my first port of call however I don't want to buy badly so if necessary I will get it from elsewhere. My budget is quite tight however so I can't afford too much and am more than prepared to look at second hand items.

My car will be getting mapped when the turbo is replaced as I also have an STI cat to fit. All the work will be carried out by Rich @FBTuning so it will be done well

Any help would be excellent. I'm quite knowledgeable on cars however this is my first Subaru and with any car I own I want to do everything properly.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 31 October 2014, 10:13 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

A VF35 wont kill your gearbox, I think bad driving style will probably kill it.
I wouldnt bother changing the gearbox unless you break it, and unless you want to pay £2000+ to have a STi 6 speed fitted which would be a waste of money unless your going for 400+bhp even then that £2000 could be put towards getting a STi anyway!!
Old 31 October 2014, 10:24 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Ok mate, thats good news. I wouldn't want to spend that sort of money on a gearbox when the car is worth 5k lol.

I have found this on ebay - a TD05 20G

Click here

Is this just a standard WRX replacement? I am frantically researching online but could just do with a bit of direct advice. Also, has anyone had any experience with these? Seem incredibly cheap however I am yet to find a bad review
Old 01 November 2014, 09:41 AM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

20G is 400bhp range turbo.Guideline for choosing right turbo is:choose the smallest possible turbo for your bhp target.

Btw your power is more like 280bhp if still on td04l.

Gearbox might throw in white towel even on standard power.

If you want more i would strongly suggest to sell wrx and buy sti......or just enjoy your wrx as it is now.

Last edited by beliblisk; 01 November 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01 November 2014, 10:00 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

I don't want an sti. I prefer the wrxs.

Would a td05 16g turbo be more suited then? I appreciate that the 20g therefore isn't suitable really. I am after 300bhp with decent spool.
Old 01 November 2014, 10:16 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

i am not jumping on the must have a STI bandwagon but as your wrx is standard as said above enjoy it as is.I hate to admit it but i should have gone down the sti route.
Read my project thread and see what i have done to my car luckily i never kept receipts so i dont know my total spend.
If you decide to stick with the wrx get all your mods together and then have one remap thus avoiding the future map tweaks.
If you are wondering why i didnt buy a sti its because i cant stand the interior colour, reminds me of an ice cream van from my childhood.Looking back it would have been cheaper to change the interior.
Anyway good luck whichever way you choose to go.
Old 01 November 2014, 10:21 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

My wrx is a PPP model so the step up to 300bhp is relatively minor.

The turbo is failing and therefore as always I will look to upgrade (even a slightly better option allowing a little extra power) I thought I would see what's about.

As said I don't want an sti. Personally I prefer the wrx's.

I could just replace like for like with the turbo but the car will be having a map either way as the PPP one isn't brilliant. That is my reason for a turbo upgrade as I may as well if it's around the same money. From what I understand mine runs a td04 as standard. There are so many names and numbers banded about that I am finding it all quite confusing lol.

Thanks guys

Trending Topics

Old 01 November 2014, 10:24 AM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

Well why dont you like STI?

Back to your wrx.For quick spool and 300 bhp your best option would be to get billet compressor wheel for your td04l-13g. Vf35,td05 16g,etc. are 350 bhp capable turbos so more lag in comparison to what you have atm.

I would spend the rest on Brembos and suspension mods......but really think about STI a bit more
Old 01 November 2014, 10:28 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

I just prefer the looks.

Thanks for that it's really helpful. Next question - a billet compressor wheel - where would I buy something like this firstly, and secondly my oil seals have gone on my turbo so would I just do better to rebuild this one? Replace the seals and upgrade the wheel?

Thanks a lot for your posts and sorry for my lack of knowledge I am very new to subarus.
Old 01 November 2014, 10:40 AM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

E bay is your friend.You can buy decent billet compressor wheel and rebuild kit from Japan (kunigawa).

If only seals are bad then yes rebuild your unit (or if you dont feel confident get it to reputable turbo shop).

Billet wheel along with some porting&polishing will provide 300bhp with unmatched spool(well for single scroll type turbos).
Old 01 November 2014, 10:58 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Would this be suitable?

It says it's for a TD04L 19T?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111193391845

Thanks for your help mate
Old 01 November 2014, 02:58 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you could look on Andy Forests website, he does the TD04 on an exchange basis at £450.
The VF35 is a good turbo but you will lose the quick spool that you are used to with the TD04.
Trev
Old 01 November 2014, 05:30 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

TD05 20g is a great turbo to make the numbers, but its a old turbo now, and there are plenty of faster spooling turbo's out there, especially some of the billet turbo's available now that will make good power but spool up like a Td04!!

Personally if you can afford it, then a billet SC38 would be my choice, but can be expensive brand new, if your on a budget then maybe a used VF34/35 is a good choice, but again there a old turbo and not very strong either and you have to consider that these are being removed from cars that have done 60-80k miles!!
Old 01 November 2014, 05:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just buy a secondhand low milage TD04 and ask rich to port it for you, also fit a decat up pipe then it will make near as makes no difference to 300bhp and you won't need to change your injectors.
Old 01 November 2014, 05:52 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bullawayo
Would this be suitable?

It says it's for a TD04L 19T?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111193391845

Thanks for your help mate
Type:how to rebuild td04 in google .......second hit is pdf file with everything explained
That is 19t size so to big for your goals.

Here is 13t side billet wheel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Compressor-Billet-Wheel-Mitsubishi-TD04L-13T-SUBARU-WRX-Forester-4G63T-/121211986307?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c38cc2183
.....and rebuild kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Forester-Impreza-WRX-TD04L-13T-49377-Turbo-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-Super-Back-/261617055058?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce9977552&vxp=mtr

Last edited by beliblisk; 01 November 2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02 November 2014, 12:19 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Thank you so much for your help.��

I will get on with ordering it all up and let you know how it goes!
Old 02 November 2014, 05:09 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Bulla, my car is a WRX PPP currently running 333bhp with a reasonably safe 300lbs of torque. I went drag racing recently with a Lad in a 420bhp Newage STI and he posted 12.9 seconds, I posted 12.6 seconds.

VF34, VF35, TD05 16G and Andy Forrest TD04 Hybrid are all great reasonably cheap turbos that will make 300bhp with around 1 bar of boost. Maybe 1.2 bar for AF Turbo but 1 bar will probably be available before 2000rpm!

None of my mods broke the bank.

333/307
Ecutek remap by Pat Herborn
@1.35BAR
STI 550 injectors
STI intercooler
TD05 16g Turbo
Blitz Nur spec backbox
Walbro 255l Fuel pump
NGK PFR7B plugs
JR Performance panel filter
Perrin Turbo intake hose
STI intercooler hose
Decat centre section
Decat DEI wrapped ported up-pipe
Cobra Sport 3" Race cat downpipe
Old 04 November 2014, 12:23 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

I have ordered a vf35 after speaking with rich. I'm in the lookout for pink injectors.

I also have an sti decat and walbro pump waiting to go in so I should see a decent hike in power without breaking the bank. I will let you all know how it goes!

I have a green cotton panel filter and pfr7b Sparks already so my setup won't be far off what you are running Matt.

Cheers lads ��