Notices

Anybody use Apexi Power Intake Filter aka induction thingy?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2002, 05:51 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As per the bad boy that does rather well on this induction tests
As i'm tempted & also scared by the prospect of the hole induction kit thing but seemingly this dry (non-oil based) type un should be less risk on da MAF than others but just wondered if any1 was or had actually run this lill beast on their scooby?
Cheers
Si
editted kuz da muppet in me feked up da link

[Edited by scooby_si - 5/31/2002 11:04:18 PM]
Old 01 June 2002, 10:09 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Yes, I'm using one now for 45000km (28000 miles??) and no problem so far. The kit comes with 2 mounting brackets, so no problem with MAF because of vibrations. Since it is a dry type filter, there are also replacement kits which consists of the induction filter only, so you don't have to pay for the brackets and screws. BTW the replacememnt set comes with a new flange each time.
I think it's far better than HKS or Blitz and I'm surprised that it is not so common in the UK...
I had a J&R filter before, which was an oil type filter and did not have any fixation and was just hanging loose, and after some time the MAF gave up, however I never knew if it was because of the oil or the vibrations.

IF you have a chance get the APEX'i one, it's the cheapest, maybe doesn't suck so much air in like the Blitz or HKS but concerning the MAF, I think it's the best choice.

Ramon
Old 02 June 2002, 09:39 PM
ScoobyWhite
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was the first in Scoobynet asking this but no body gave me a answer.
So thank you.
I post in here the tests of the filters and I would like to ask you this because I can not find it in the web.
Could you send me a foto of your intake fitted, and could you tell me the dimensions only of the filter? Please......

Thank you.

Old 03 June 2002, 08:31 AM
juninho
Scooby Regular

where's the best place to get one of these kits from ????
Old 03 June 2002, 09:52 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i believe JW racing sell the apex stuff Still looking 2 c where else duz em & still not convinced about the hole induction thing as yet
Si
Old 03 June 2002, 07:27 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Ok, here are some pictures of the induction kit, sorry didn't have time to take the size of the filter, but just by looking at the pictures, I think you get the idea...

Ramon
Old 03 June 2002, 07:47 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Very tasty looking set up there ramon & the carbon fibre box thing wood presumably meen it aint such hot dirty engine air being sucked into it?
So on that note just how did ya set all that up then? I presume it was largely self made which aint my strong point but is very funky
While we're on 20 questions where did u buy it all from then?
Cheers
Si
Old 03 June 2002, 08:23 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

scooby_si
Well, yes the induction kit itself fits easily in place, you only have to remove the original airbox, but keep all the other bits in place, which is not my case anymore as you can see.

My setup is mostly self made with the aluminium hose going from below the front indicators, through the inner wing up to the induction kit.
The orange (black now in my case) bit below the front left indicator has also been cut so that only the "frame" remains to snap back in place. This way I hope to get the most air through the hose.
After that I made the "water splash" test by spraying tons of water at a close distance through the hose, and no water will ever go up there!! The missus hairdryer also helps to check the air going through the hose....

Concerning were I bought it, my missus is Japanese, and going back to Japan quite often, which is also a good occasion to stock up on goods, especially at the annual Auto Salon.
I don't know where to get APEX'i stuff in the UK, but I'm sure some dealers surely can provide those....if not try Taka Kaira?

Ramon
Old 05 June 2002, 10:56 AM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Scooby Si,
Just a quickish note regarding the induction tests that you link too.
Here is my opinion on them for what it's worth:

This test is fundamentally flawed in the method of testing. The use of a vacuum cleaner will provide a far greater 'suck' on the filters than that which would be experienced when installed in the car and so it is an unfair test. Due to the possibility of the foam filters 'unloading' under a higher differential pressure (see below for an explanation), these will show up worst on this type of test (as this proves). The fact that some of the filters are coated with oil to improve their filtration properties means that under the high vacuum, the oil will be sucked straight through the filter and onto the filter paper behind as can be seen from the pictures.

As far as filtration performance vs power gained goes, my comments are as follows:
The degree of filtration will vary depending upon the method of manufacture and the design of the filter. The airflow through the filter will depend less upon the design and manufacture but more upon the amount of 'free space' that the filter has. As an example, you could have a filter with a single large hole that flows the same amount of air as a similar sized filter filled with lots of little holes. The filtration performance will obviously be different but the airflow through them (and therefore the power gain) will be the same.

Also a filter that is made from a sponge and requires an oil coating to help stick particles to it will, when it starts to get blocked, open up the pores of the filter (due to the differential pressure across it) and this may lead to large deposits of dirt unloading into the air stream. This is a common problem with filters of this type in most of the industries I've worked with filters in. They are OK when they are only lightly loaded with dirt but if they do start to get blocked then you may be in trouble.

The other type are the paper type which are generally of a fixed pore size that won't move around under a high differential pressure. This type tend to offer a better degree of filtration (**provided that they are sized correctly**) but when they block, you will notice a drop off in power because the car can't get enough air through the filter. As a result these filters will tend to have a shorter lifespan than the foam filters.
The main advantage of the foam filters is that they are very easy to clean by washing but you have to be careful that you don't damage them in any way. The best method of cleaning a paper type filter is to blow air backwards through the filter i.e. from the side that is nromally connected to the intake and remove the dust from the outside.

Andy Fox
Ex- Filtration Technical Support Engineer