Notices

Fitting strutbars not easy if your a duffus

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2014, 11:08 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Fitting strutbars not easy if your a duffus

Went out this morning to fit my strutbraces,front one I got from here and fitted in 10 mins. Rear one got from eBay,an hour and half later a few choice words followed by me launching the bar into the field opposite it suddenly dawned on me,the fittings look very similar to the front ones I just fitted! I even considered I might have to get my angle grinder on the job to make it fit?!? But once the steam settled in my head I realize It must be a front bar which was sold as a rear!
I'm going to look for a rear bar when I get paid,can anyone tell me if they just fit in without and chopping up of my rear end or when I buy the correct one will it just fit nicely?
Regards
Angry Rich
Old 04 July 2014, 11:29 AM
Ash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate bad luck. They fit with no cutting needed. I fount it easier to dismatal the bar from the mounts so you get more play to fit them. Can be a bit of a fiddel. They should have an angle cut on them to.

GL
Old 04 July 2014, 11:36 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flashash
Hi mate bad luck. They fit with no cutting needed. I fount it easier to dismatal the bar from the mounts so you get more play to fit them. Can be a bit of a fiddel. They should have an angle cut on them to.

GL
Ye I took end off to fit but there's no way in this world they were going to fit. Now I've took my stupid head off I can safely say I have been trying to fit a front to the rear and that was never gonna end well!
Ahh well we live and learn
Cheers
Old 04 July 2014, 01:56 PM
Ash
Scooby Regular

ha ha happens to the best of us lol

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Ye I took end off to fit but there's no way in this world they were going to fit. Now I've took my stupid head off I can safely say I have been trying to fit a front to the rear and that was never gonna end well!
Ahh well we live and learn
Cheers
Old 04 July 2014, 02:22 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

It gets worse! Took car out to get some petrol and the fekin front one is vibrating like crazy because it resting on the top of the intercooler! At least I have a spare one to try lol
I just get the feeling my car is telling me to leave it alone and keep it standard
Old 04 July 2014, 02:29 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
It gets worse! Took car out to get some petrol and the fekin front one is vibrating like crazy because it resting on the top of the intercooler! At least I have a spare one to try lol
I just get the feeling my car is telling me to leave it alone and keep it standard
Bolt it ontop of the nuts on the strut with some extra nuts, this way it spaces it up a little bit

So chassis - nut for holding the strut in place - washer - strut bar - washer - nut
Old 04 July 2014, 02:40 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Bolt it ontop of the nuts on the strut with some extra nuts, this way it spaces it up a little bit

So chassis - nut for holding the strut in place - washer - strut bar - washer - nut
good thinking mate
Cheers
Old 04 July 2014, 02:45 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Have you got the front one the wrong way round, mines tight but fits snug round the back of the intercooler,if iwas to turn it around it hit the intercooler, I've got a e-tech rear strutbrace if you want it 20+ postage or collect...
Old 04 July 2014, 02:57 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
Have you got the front one the wrong way round, mines tight but fits snug round the back of the intercooler,if iwas to turn it around it hit the intercooler, I've got a e-tech rear strutbrace if you want it 20+ postage or collect...
The front one is an etec and the etec sigh is on the top so I think it might be the right way? I will have a look cheers.
I will have the rear one off you if you still have it when I get paid on 15th but I'm pretty skint atm
Old 04 July 2014, 03:27 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

on mine its the pink ended sti on front and pink ended sti on rear I got the rear etec and a adjustable front one unknown make fink it's a early classic stile one defo clears the top mount , Il do both for 30+ postage, they're not going anywhere mate pm me a mobile number Il send you a pic if you want
Old 04 July 2014, 04:15 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Cheers pal. A I got two front ones now so don't really need another. Just looking at the e-tech one I fitted and the ends look pretty bent so maybe that's why it's not clearing the ic. I thought the bend in the ends was supposed to be like that. The ends to the one I thought was a rear are nice and flat so I'm sure I will be Abel to make a good front out of the two I have. Looks like the one I bought off here wasn't such a good deal after all(won't be using that seller again lol)
As for the rear one you have for sale,I will defo have it off you as long as its not In really bad condition. I will be in touch with you closer to payday. Cheers mate
Old 04 July 2014, 04:49 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

No its still fairly shiney couple minor marks it's got blue ends and e-tech engraved in the cross bar
Old 04 July 2014, 05:38 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

No its still fairly shiney couple minor marks it's got blue ends and e-tech engraved in the cross bar
Sounds good to me I will probably leave the rear seats and seatbelts off for now as it's only a couple of weeks till payday and if you could keep hold of it until then I would be most greatful,also I live too far away to collect so if you don't mind posting it that would be great. I will pm you for price including post and paypal details if that's ok? I will send payment as gift
Old 04 July 2014, 06:34 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

No worries mate Il send a pic to you b4 hand so you can see it
Old 04 July 2014, 07:06 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

No worries mate Il send a pic to you b4 hand so you can see it
top man