Notices

Sloppy feel with gooyear eagle F1's

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2014, 10:14 PM
Steve Booth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy feel with gooyear eagle F1's

Hi all, I have a standard 2.5 WRX Hawkeye 06 plate and have just put 4 brand new Goodyear F1 Assymetrics 215,45 r17 Y . The side walls are really soft and the ride is really floppy at speed ???? I was told that these tyres were the bees knees ! I've got to say I'm disappointed as my originals Brigdestone potenza's felt much more sporty. Any ideas or suggestions or have I just made a massive boo boo as I cannot just go out and buy another set of different tyres !!!
Old 27 May 2014, 10:15 PM
Steve Booth
Scooby Regular

GOODYEAR F1's lol !
Old 27 May 2014, 10:28 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume the obvious Steve that you had the correct tyre pressures, can you explain what you mean by 'really soft walls' & what kind of speed would you be referring to?

It would be helpful for those with more insight to comment as I was considering these with the next tyre change, however you have put a little doubt there even though I have only heard good reviews both public & personal so this one is a mystery that needs clearing up
Old 27 May 2014, 10:40 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

I just had 4 eagle asymmetric F2 fitted and they are fine 34 all round
Old 27 May 2014, 10:45 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

What was tread depth on tyres you replaced? New tyres all feel softer as tread blocks move around a lot more than barely legal tyres. Also, itll take a good few miles for preserving wax to scrub off
Old 27 May 2014, 10:46 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The older pattern was better

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...gsd3_ci1_l.jpg

The new style I think got dragged about on here, and it put me off somewhat. I suppose it all depends on purpose, there's lots of choice out there. Speak to Maggs
Old 27 May 2014, 10:58 PM
GuyG
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'm running Goodyear asymmetric 2 at the moment and have been for about a year. Previously I ran asymmetric 1 (not gsd3) and they felt more sure footed than the 2s. Like the OP I suspect the side walls on these 2s are not as strong. I am having to run them at 37psi to give me the same feel and confidence as the old asymmetric 1s that I used to run at 35psi.
They are still fantastic tyres but I prefered the previous model.
Old 28 May 2014, 08:12 AM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

I have been running these now for a couple of months work really well in my car especially in the wet not sure why your having problems
Old 28 May 2014, 04:53 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

It will take a few hundred miles to scrub them in. I remember thinking the 4xUltrac Sessantas I put on weren't great when I drove off from the garage but really happy with them within a month.
Old 28 May 2014, 10:37 PM
Steve Booth
Scooby Regular

Cheers for reply's ! I've had a play with tyre pressures and I'm now running 37psi on the fronts and 36psi on the rears. They had 34 - 33 before which is what I was running on the potenza's. They grip really well especially in the rain and with the extra bit of pressure feel more solid. The side walls in comparison to the potenza's are really soft and have a lot of give, which I suppose is why they dig in so well. If I could do it again I would buy the same tyre but in the XL spec (stiffer side walls) .
Old 29 May 2014, 05:39 AM
Tyre-fitter
Scooby Regular

You should have fitted XL tyres.

Andy.
Old 29 May 2014, 09:41 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Steve Booth
Cheers for reply's ! I've had a play with tyre pressures and I'm now running 37psi on the fronts and 36psi on the rears. They had 34 - 33 before which is what I was running on the potenza's. They grip really well especially in the rain and with the extra bit of pressure feel more solid. The side walls in comparison to the potenza's are really soft and have a lot of give, which I suppose is why they dig in so well. If I could do it again I would buy the same tyre but in the XL spec (stiffer side walls) .
im on 18" 35 front 33 rear,side walls looked soft(on previous redline alloys, now are to stretched on xxr) but thats dont affect cornering
to much pressure wil do your car bumpy on road
best tyre on wet way better than old gsd3 tread, very good on dry
Old 29 May 2014, 11:35 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tyre-fitter
You should have fitted XL tyres.

Andy.
Do the XL tyres give better handling or just a stiffened ride? I want the best performance but I am disabled so the better/softer the ride the better. I know Subaru isn't a another word for comfort but if I can have my cake and eat it then happy days.
Old 30 May 2014, 10:13 PM
Steve Booth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
Do the XL tyres give better handling or just a stiffened ride? I want the best performance but I am disabled so the better/softer the ride the better. I know Subaru isn't a another word for comfort but if I can have my cake and eat it then happy days.
I would definitely go for normal spec tyres if comfort and grip is you want although I did have pump them up a bit to get the feel I wanted.
I can't tell you if the XL ones are any different ! In theory they should be stiffer ! . Bit of forum searching is in order to get some real life opinions. Wish I'd done that, I assumed wrongly that XL tyres were for SUVs and people carriers, etc, I went purely on the review sites which didn't mention anything about soft side walls or XL.
Old 31 May 2014, 05:33 AM
fawor
BANNED

I would definitely go for normal spec tyres if comfort and grip is you want although I did have pump them up a bit to get the feel I wanted.
I can't tell you if the XL ones are any different ! In theory they should be stiffer ! . Bit of forum searching is in order to get some real life opinions. Wish I'd done that, I assumed wrongly that XL tyres were for SUVs and people carriers, etc, I went purely on the review sites which didn't mention anything about soft side walls or XL.
A stance looks soft but forget about it and drive,its looks like it should ,take it for blast at roundabout and you will find nothing wrong with them.
For some scoob looking **** to but its not how it looks its how it drive.
Old 31 May 2014, 06:57 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've just bought an 05 wrx with f1s on and they do feel very soft to me as well. Great for where I live.potholes and speed bumps.
But they definitely feel a bit sloppy like you say.
Old 31 May 2014, 07:28 PM
JusNoGood
Scooby Regular

I recently went for F1's (about 2000 miles ago now) and I'm very happy. It depends how you use your car and what you're looking for in you tire.

I'm doing 100 miles a day in my 2004 Blob. I did consider XLs but I didn't want the harder ride and more road noise.

I've not had a problem with losing grip, even in very heavy rain. I had 4 wheel slides at slow speeds on the cheap Chinese tires that came with the car.

I used Event tyres, they came to my work and fitted them. Their website is really good as it shows grip, fuel economy ratings as well as noise (db's).

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/tyre-search-results.php
Old 31 May 2014, 07:39 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Op which potenza did you have to compare them to?
As if they were re070 then there's no match in the side walls on them as they are 'very' firm compared to most tyres (which you got used to, I'm guessing)
Old 31 May 2014, 11:30 PM
Steve Booth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Op which potenza did you have to compare them to? As if they were re070 then there's no match in the side walls on them as they are 'very' firm compared to most tyres (which you got used to, I'm guessing)
I had potenza RE050's
Old 01 June 2014, 10:09 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I had potenza RE050's
Ah cool, never tried them. But I assume their crap compared to ass2 which you brought.
Give them time to scrub in mate.
Old 01 June 2014, 10:57 AM
Tyre-fitter
Scooby Regular

Ive just taken all 4 conti 3's off mine which have only done 2000 miles & im replacing with 4x dunlop sport maxx,,the conti's were really noisy at 75 db as opposed to the dunlops at 68db,,not really sure wether im keeping the 225/45r17' or going upto 235's.

Andy.
Old 01 June 2014, 11:03 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tyre-fitter
Ive just taken all 4 conti 3's off mine which have only done 2000 miles & im replacing with 4x dunlop sport maxx,,the conti's were really noisy at 75 db as opposed to the dunlops at 68db,,not really sure wether im keeping the 225/45r17' or going upto 235's.

Andy.
I have Dunlop sport maxx gt on my car and they are pretty good for noise, lifespan and wet n dry handling for a big family car, oh and no aqua planing considering they are 255 wide
I replaced them and was deciding between, ass2, ps3 and these which were already on car so just replaced with same as I was happy with the conditions of my usage with them

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 01 June 2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01 June 2014, 11:17 AM
Tyre-fitter
Scooby Regular

I fitted 4x dunlops on this sti.
URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/andy-hat/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html][/URL]
Really nice motor & the owner says its been forged.

Last edited by Tyre-fitter; 01 June 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01 June 2014, 11:23 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

And........