Notices

Feed my oil starvation paranoia - bugeye WRX on snetterton

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2014, 07:01 AM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feed my oil starvation paranoia - bugeye WRX on snetterton

I'm doing an evening of novice sessions at Snetterton this evening. I believe this is on the 300 configuration of the track.

Typically, the day before I'm due to go I start reading about issues with Imprezas in long fast corners (Snetterton mentioned by name, along with Mallory) in which the oil decides that the best place to reside would be up (or across, I suppose) around the heads rather than returning to the sump.

This has made me paranoid (in addition to about 30 other things I'm worried about for my first go on a track ).

So, how likely is it to be an issue? Obviously searching for it digs up instances of it but, as far as I can tell, the interweb isn't awash with tales of Snetterton killing EJ engines.

The definite tales of woe I've found so far appear to have been confined to higher performance Imprezas. I guess this will be down to what kind of forces the car is able to generate in the corner?

Factors that I guess will affect my speed:

1) I have no idea how to drive on track. And I'm generally cautious if my karting is anything to go by (yes, I've been heckled) so I don't think I'll be 'flat out'

2) The car is a bug eye WRX wagon. Has AD08 tyres, prodrive springs and whiteline ARBs. Not exactly a time attack setup.

3) Rain looks likely!

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm going to ask the guys that run the track days how many Imprezas they see and how many leave without making odd knocking sounds, but I'd guess that there would be a fair few people with various setups that have visited Snett? Ultimately, dawdling around Coram won't hurt.

Once the novice day is over, If I decide I like track driving, I'll look into at least getting a pressure gauge fitted!
Old 21 May 2014, 07:55 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

It will largely depend on how much grip you have available and how much speed you carry through the corners.
But oil starvation is a definite possibility.
For my money, if you don't have a basic set of instruments, oil pressure and temperature, and water temperature, I wouldn't be too adventurous.
Have fun though.
Old 21 May 2014, 08:42 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alyn at AS performance sells a "clubmans" baffled sump, not as pretty as a group N item but it doesnt come with the RCM tax. I too am a track day novice and fitted one before my first track day.
I set my stepper/warning pressure gauge to 3 bar while on track. I didnt have any oil pressure issues (Brands Hatch, one big right hand corner) People often say "depends how sticky your tyres are" when deciding to fit a baffled sump. Yours are sticky

Be cool, be smooth, have fun

Old 21 May 2014, 09:27 AM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.

I'm already booked in for this evening so I'm going to make use of it - I'm just going to ask about the best way to get 'out of the way' and go easy on the big right hander.

But yeah, Snetterton is my local so if (when) I get the bug I'll be going straight for a sump / baffle... suggestions all welcome.

Looking forward to getting over the anxiousness and into the enjoyment. The car's fairly new to me so I don't know it like my daily, I guess I'll find out how the old girl AND it's driver hold up!
Old 21 May 2014, 10:17 AM
Bob99
Scooby Regular

Keep an eye on your fuel level as well, fast right handers and low fuel will equal fuel starvation. If I am on track and pushing the fuel level can't go below about a third of a tank.
Old 21 May 2014, 11:38 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

I've been a few times to snetterton and not seen any imprezas failed when I've been. You definitely need to keep the fuel level up as already said. You'll also find the Subaru 4 pots overheat a lot there. So if you do get the bug then along with a baffled sump get some decent brakes like brembos, don't bother trying to make the 4 pots better, they're junk for track days. And decent suspension set up with good alignment. You'll be wanting some decent tyres too. I like federal 595 rsr as a good cost/performance ratio. Leave the power tuning for last.
Old 24 May 2014, 10:39 AM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Car and driver survived

I actually had a full tank from the start of the day...... my WORD can Imprezas drink when they're pushed!

As it happened, I discovered that one of the pad retaining pins in a front caliper was utterly stuck. I realised that I was going to end up wrecking the pin removing it so the decision was made to nurse what was left of some £45 stock pads around!

It was a slow novice day, so I managed 30 odd miles before I called it a day with enough friction material left to drive home. I was just pootling along the front and back straights to let them cool so I could enjoy the tighter corners. It sort of worked, whilst the brakes where obviously suffering people where braking early and gently and I was able to match them. The exception being a lap where I decided to pass a few people and then missed the brake point for Riches...