FMIC help

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2014, 03:56 PM
Rdy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC help

Hi

Was hoping someone might of fitted one of these kits before and could share any pics or advice.

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/subaru-imp...ooler-kit.html

The piping seems to be different from most kits I've looked at and I cant seem to get the piping to line up in any acceptable way, managed to get it all joined but it looks a state and no where near as tidy as most kits I've seen fitted. I've trawled the internet for even a picture of this kit fitted to give me a better idea but with no luck , Japspeed could only send me the fitting instructions for a later model kit.

So been scratching my head for a while, maybe I'm just being stupid but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry
Old 13 May 2014, 04:02 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you having trouble with it?
Old 13 May 2014, 04:16 PM
Rdy
Scooby Newbie

Joining to both inlet and turbo seem ok , but from both ends of the intercooler using the piping avalible it just doesn't look right.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:56 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Take some pictures from you install
So we can advise & adjust if needed
Old 13 May 2014, 05:04 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

did you read the build thread on this site ?????

did you grind the metal away along the front ??? so pipes cleared body work ?? i also had to cut a bit out on the passenger side so it didn,t hit the inner wing as pipe went inbetween the water hose and hit some metal there ...

then where the air filter is you have to join both holes to make 1 big hole for the pipe to fit

mine was a cheap ebay kit but with japsport pipes ....

also i found it easier to build from front and work my way up ..i had to modify the turbo pipe as i got a td05 16g and alloy pipe hit the turbo so i got it and got a ash 90oc silicone bend and it fitted 100% better ...

hope this helps
Old 13 May 2014, 05:07 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from the front mount back, had to cut two sections (1 near air filter and 1 near dump valve) and add silicon joiner which made it a lot easier to manipulate. AutoSiliconHoses are cheap for joiners and clamps.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:59 PM
Rdy
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I've read the front mount build thread but my pipe work doesn't seem to be the same, I've offered it up in places but it doesn't seem anywhere near that trimming would help at this stage, although i did trim the drivers side inner wing to help get the pipe through.

The confusing part is where it comes down by the rad , most kits I've seen seem to have the one pipe which comes down into a U bend and onto the intercooler i don't seem to have that.

Here are some pics its the only way ive managed to get it fitted at all so far, just doesnt look right to me, im probably being special

Old 13 May 2014, 06:50 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

dude i ain,t got no pictures to show you !!!!!

1st the intercooler goes under the bumper bar you have to measure the space and bolts holes.. drill 2 holes and bolt though the top bumper bar into the 2 bolt holes

the 2 brackets you bent go underneath the bottom undercooler and bolt up under that you will see 2 bolts or 2 holes and use them the brackets will not be straight one will be at 1 angle the other at another ,but them brackets need to be made straight again !!!

all the pipe work should be so close to the body work you have to cut the body work to fit .. take off the bottom pipes and put a picture up so i can tell you where they go i

also pm me your phone number i found some pictures on my phone if you want them
Old 13 May 2014, 07:14 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

STOP you have fitted the intercooler upside down remover the intercooler spin it round and bolt it on correctly and enjoy a intercooler that dosent stick its **** out of the bottom of the bumper

look at the pictures in this thread it show how the intercooler is fitted https://www.scoobynet.com/722371-20g...at-last-6.html

Last edited by my94wrx; 13 May 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:41 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

bugger me never seen it like that before
Old 13 May 2014, 07:49 PM
Rdy
Scooby Newbie

thanks for all the replies so far , my94wrx looks like u may have hit the nail on the head gonna go pull my bumper bar about now and see if i can get the pipe work looking repsectable! finger crossed
Old 13 May 2014, 08:02 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rdy
thanks for all the replies so far , my94wrx looks like u may have hit the nail on the head gonna go pull my bumper bar about now and see if i can get the pipe work looking repsectable! finger crossed

no worries, just to clarify your pipes sit at the top! and single bolt hole fixing secures on the bonnet catch bottom bolt, the pipe work will be fine when fitted correctly and will allow you to retain your fog lights but spaced out with a few washers.
Old 13 May 2014, 08:09 PM
Rdy
Scooby Newbie

Thx again , yeah its looking all good pipework has virtually married up apart from the bottom of the bumper bar where the outlets of the intercooler are, im assuming hes done a bit of grinding there? looks like it needs half an inch or so take of
Old 13 May 2014, 08:10 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thunder8
bugger me never seen it like that before
yes japspeed/autobahn should really pull their fingers out of there ***** and do a fitting guide instead of supplying a fitting guide for a completely different model
Old 13 May 2014, 09:28 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Guy, the fmic guide in the tech archive , shows the intercooler with pipes on the bottom. mines fitted like this and no problems
Old 13 May 2014, 10:05 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

It depends on the make of the core
Some are bottom / top
Old 13 May 2014, 10:11 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
Guy, the fmic guide in the tech archive , shows the intercooler with pipes on the bottom. mines fitted like this and no problems

its not the same intercooler so it wont fit the same, the intercooler the op is trying to fit is specifically for the 92-96 car and fits nothing like the one in the guide, i just hope the op hasnt hacked the inner wing about as its not needed on the one the he's trying to fit.