Classic UK Turbo - Which gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2014, 08:59 AM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Classic UK Turbo - Which gearbox

Got a classic UK facelift Turbo, 1999 .

Would like to fit a stronger gearbox , possibly a six speed.

Looks like a uk sti 6 speed would be a straight fit? and work with my rear diff?

Can anyone confirm exactly which gearbox i would need and any other mods needed to fit

Looking to keep the engine and everything else 100% std would just like to fix what I see as the weak link on my aging classic.
Old 09 May 2014, 09:06 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1412230
Old 09 May 2014, 09:07 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it aint broke, dont fix it
Old 09 May 2014, 09:14 AM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the link, will have a good read later when I finish work

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
If it aint broke, dont fix it
It sounds a little noisy so I want to get the parts together and be ready for when I have problem. Planning on keeping this car long term and want to improve it as I go
Old 09 May 2014, 09:17 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

If you arent going to go over 350hp with it, there is no need for a 6sp, you might aswell just drop another 5sp in there

I would also note, that the bug eye boxes are the weakest boxes of the 6sps, they do not have carbon snychros in them, so allow for them to be changed.

6 speeds arent as strong as everyone makes out, plenty have broken. mine included

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 09 May 2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09 May 2014, 09:28 AM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

If you arent going to go over 350hp with it, there is no need for a 6sp, you might aswell just drop another 5sp in there

I would also note, that the bug eye boxes are the weakest boxes of the 6sps, they do not have carbon snychros in them, so allow for them to be changed.

6 speeds arent as strong as everyone makes out, plenty have broken. mine included
I wont be upping the power at all. Shes my daily driver and I just want her to be as reliable as possible. I do like to do some B road blasting and the odd launch so I thought strengthening the drive train would be a good idea.

Will the six speed give better fuel ecnomy on the motorway , is the sixth gear taller than the 5 speeds fifth?
Old 09 May 2014, 09:32 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

My 6speed from a bug is very short ratios, its 75mph in 6th is like 3 and a bit k rpm IIRC.

Its alot of expense and you are going to get no benefit from the expense of fitting a 6 speed over replacing or repairing your 5 speed.

If it does increase fuel economy it wont be anything worth noting. A 5 speed is perfectly adequate for standard power and you can repair you 5speed probably 5 times for the cost of the 6 speed conversion alone.

Let alone the cost of fitting (£500+VAT is the going rate)

And you are fitting an unknown 2nd hand 6 speed, so allow for a rebuild anyway of up to 1k....

If you get a DCCD box you will need a programmer to make it work too.

For what you want, stick with the 5 speed and repair it, or possibly rpelace it with a hawkeye 5 speed if you can find one at a decent price.
Old 09 May 2014, 10:11 AM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My 6speed from a bug is very short ratios, its 75mph in 6th is like 3 and a bit k rpm IIRC.

Its alot of expense and you are going to get no benefit from the expense of fitting a 6 speed over replacing or repairing your 5 speed.

If it does increase fuel economy it wont be anything worth noting. A 5 speed is perfectly adequate for standard power and you can repair you 5speed probably 5 times for the cost of the 6 speed conversion alone.

Let alone the cost of fitting (£500+VAT is the going rate)

And you are fitting an unknown 2nd hand 6 speed, so allow for a rebuild anyway of up to 1k....

If you get a DCCD box you will need a programmer to make it work too.

For what you want, stick with the 5 speed and repair it, or possibly rpelace it with a hawkeye 5 speed if you can find one at a decent price.
Thanks some good advice there. Does sound like maybe its alot of effort for not alot of gain in my situation.

Is the hawkeye 5 speed a straight fit into mine then?
Old 09 May 2014, 10:27 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunilWRX
Thanks some good advice there. Does sound like maybe its alot of effort for not alot of gain in my situation.

Is the hawkeye 5 speed a straight fit into mine then?
I honestly dont know mate, it isnt something I have ever done, I broke a 6speed so the 5 speed wouldnt stand a chance on my car lol
Old 09 May 2014, 11:09 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a straight swap to a later 5 speed. The later 5 speeds are "meant" to be stronger but i have never seen the gear sets next to each other.