Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2014, 11:25 AM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Scoob

Hi

Please could I get a bit of advice??

I'm going to do it and get me first scoob, as a generalisation at first is there any thing that I should be staying away from. or on the other hand any thing I should be actively looking for, 4k or under really,

Thanks in advance
Old 15 April 2014, 12:35 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Firstly which model are you after as a preference, classic, bugeye, wagons, WRX or STI etc? For everyday use, weekend toy or track? Is insurance going to be an issue for you?

Generally would stay away from modified examples unless they have plenty of receipts from reputable tuners for things like ECU maps, engine work, servicing etc.

Add a bit more info as what your after and we should be able to add some more pointers..
Old 15 April 2014, 04:16 PM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

Hi Thanks for the reply

Blob eye for looks although I have seen some very good looking classics,
However. I seem to be drawn towards Saloon. Although wouldn't rule out wagon
So yer pretty open to advice.
Want somthing which is not going to require maintenece all the time. But am feeling confident about doing jobs my self.when needed. its gonna be a weekend thing.
Insurance I think should be ok . 30 yr ol with clean licence however only 3 yr no claims.
So yer what do you think.?
Old 15 April 2014, 09:15 PM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

I think i have found one..

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...eza/1056507633

Here the link, let me know what you guys think, also how much do you think the insurance will go up by because its a import?
Old 15 April 2014, 09:20 PM
CRX-Ownage
Scooby Regular

I'd wanna see the engine bay and service history. Samco hoses why unless it's been tuned. Insurance might be 500-700 quid fully comp.
Old 15 April 2014, 09:36 PM
STI2.0_Bugeye_Black
Scooby Regular

My advice, check for service history and paper trails, not just the seller said he changed "this or that" or a garage "did this and that" not too long ago unless you know the seller or someone can vouch for him for his credibility. Learn to walk away if you see any "red flags" such as leaks, knocks, squeaks or anything your gut is telling you to steer away from. Check the mechanical integrity of the car first then it's aesthetics. Sometimes, looks can be deceiving. It may have the most styling kit on the car but if it doesn't run after a month of purchase then it's parked on your driveway. Lol. I'd rather enjoy a driveable Scooby than something looks cool and nice but undriveable. Let the searching begin.... good luck.

Also, very important, take your time searching.
Old 15 April 2014, 09:48 PM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by CRX-Ownage
I'd wanna see the engine bay and service history. Samco hoses why unless it's been tuned. Insurance might be 500-700 quid fully comp.
Hey thanks for input, so are you saying i want to see "Samco" hose. what are we looking for in the engine bay, nice and clean.

Do you think it is the right sort of price?

cheers
Old 15 April 2014, 10:14 PM
CRX-Ownage
Scooby Regular

I'm saying there is no mention of tuning or anything uprated apart from prodrive upgrade, but it has Samco hoses on it according to the ad.. I don't know anyone who makes the engine bay look pretty unless they've had previous problems requiring them to upgrade the hoses, or they've had it tuned and thought they required better quality hoses to ensure problem free running from leaks. As STI2.0_Bugeye_Black said, get proper paper receipts and follow your gut as it's your hard earned money.

Last edited by CRX-Ownage; 15 April 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 15 April 2014, 10:17 PM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by STI2.0_Bugeye_Black
My advice, check for service history and paper trails, not just the seller said he changed "this or that" or a garage "did this and that" not too long ago unless you know the seller or someone can vouch for him for his credibility. Learn to walk away if you see any "red flags" such as leaks, knocks, squeaks or anything your gut is telling you to steer away from. Check the mechanical integrity of the car first then it's aesthetics. Sometimes, looks can be deceiving. It may have the most styling kit on the car but if it doesn't run after a month of purchase then it's parked on your driveway. Lol. I'd rather enjoy a driveable Scooby than something looks cool and nice but undriveable. Let the searching begin.... good luck.

Also, very important, take your time searching.
Hey thanks for the advice.

your right service history is a must.
leaks knocks and squeaks is there any where in particular I need to be looking?
Old 15 April 2014, 10:26 PM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

I don't know anyone who makes the engine bay look pretty unless they've had previous problems requiring them to upgrade the hoses, or they've had it tuned and thought they required better quality hoses to ensure problem free running from leaks.

thanks CRX-ownage. that makes perfect sense. that is for sure something I have overlooked. but yeah why would change the hose on a standard car? that certainly will be a question to ask.

for reliability. would you say the Bug has it over classic or hawk, and how much more noticeable is the pro drive upgrade for power and handling?
Old 15 April 2014, 10:41 PM
CRX-Ownage
Scooby Regular

The prodrive upgrade does include some Samco hoses I believe, but not sure to what extent on the bug. It is just something I would note when looking for a car myself. I've only had the classic and facelift. My fav is the 2003 shape but I don't have experience with either. Find the shape you like, research the hell out of it and find common issues and what things cost to fix if like me money doesn't grow on trees. Always request a cold start and look for smoke, check where the car is parked and look for leaks, if tuned look for reputation. Expect high maintenance, regular services and potential sensor failures. Check Youtube and learn what a knocking engine sounds like. If you buy a 50k car, it may require cam belt and a clutch at some point depending on the prev owners driving style, take note of this when out of a test drive. I got my car for 1600 quid so have nothing to lose really plus I've had one before and know what to look for and expect
Old 16 April 2014, 09:36 AM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=CRX-Ownage;11405718]The prodrive upgrade does include some Samco ho if like me money doesn't grow on trees.

Very Tru

"Always request a cold start and look for smoke, check where the car is parked and look for leaks, if tuned look for reputation. Expect high maintenance, regular services and potential sensor failures. Check Youtube and learn what a knocking engine sounds "

Another good idea.I am going check the tube out now.

Does any one have an idea on price 55 bug with ppp upgrade, half decent mileage and Service history?
Old 16 April 2014, 10:00 AM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

"check Youtube and learn what a knocking engine sounds"

Yer there quite a lot of knocking engine noises on you tube. one guy 2.5l hawk. revving the hell out of engine. after the tyre smoke settles yer this noise.
Will this happen to me if i get a Scoob, or am i right to assume that it was the thrashing of the engine which did it?

Old 16 April 2014, 07:22 PM
Oranges
Scooby Regular

I'm saying there is no mention of tuning or anything uprated apart from prodrive upgrade, but it has Samco hoses on it according to the ad.. I don't know anyone who makes the engine bay look pretty unless they've had previous problems requiring them to upgrade the hoses, or they've had it tuned and thought they required better quality hoses to ensure problem free running from leaks. As STI2.0_Bugeye_Black said, get proper paper receipts and follow your gut as it's your hard earned money.
I did!

Swapped the top and bottom rad hoses for Samco ones when I changed rad, the old ones were baked.
Old 16 April 2014, 07:31 PM
CRX-Ownage
Scooby Regular

So you swapped them because the old ones where baked and that shows a potential engine that has had coolant issues in the past. My point exactly.
Old 16 April 2014, 07:38 PM
CRX-Ownage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fox66
"check Youtube and learn what a knocking engine sounds"

Yer there quite a lot of knocking engine noises on you tube. one guy 2.5l hawk. revving the hell out of engine. after the tyre smoke settles yer this noise.
Will this happen to me if i get a Scoob, or am i right to assume that it was the thrashing of the engine which did it?

subaru rod knock - YouTube
3:06

Old 16 April 2014, 08:51 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

No one's mentioned rust yet. Have a good hard look underneath and behind the wheels as they can go quite badly, especially on the front subframe.
Old 16 April 2014, 09:54 PM
Oranges
Scooby Regular

So you swapped them because the old ones where baked and that shows a potential engine that has had coolant issues in the past. My point exactly.
*sigh * No it doesn't, I swapped them because they were baked, what do you expect from something that's has heat cycled for 12 years.
Old 16 April 2014, 09:57 PM
Oranges
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
No one's mentioned rust yet. Have a good hard look underneath and behind the wheels as they can go quite badly, especially on the front subframe.
This, plus the rear wheel arches, check from the inside of the boot, you'll need to pull back liner to check, get right in the rear wheel well and check, crappy sealant applied directly onto unprimed metal, not the greatest idea.
Old 17 April 2014, 09:23 PM
Fox66
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Oranges
This, plus the rear wheel arches, check from the inside of the boot, you'll need to pull back liner to check, get right in the rear wheel well and check, crappy sealant applied directly onto unprimed metal, not the greatest idea.
Will do I'm gonna have a look at one on saturday.

Thanks for your help,