Notices

Power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2014, 07:06 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss

I've had a search through all the old threads but tried anything most have done but now looking for advice.

I've got a 99 uk2000 running fmic, vf35, hks mushroom with silicone intake hose, full 3" exhaust with open mouth downpipe, run by an Apexi ECU and hand commander. Was all mapped by FB Tuning last year at 1.25bar and has been running great, usually hitting between 1.3-1.4 bar of boost at 90% cycle on my 440's.

About a month ago I decided to replace the timing belt and at the same time fit a set of equal length headers I'd purchased from a member on here. After it was all back together I found would only go as high as 1.2 bar on boost, but found the headers were leaking where they bolted to the head and no matter what I tried they wouldn't seal.
Due to this I decided to refit my original headers back on but I won a bigger up pipe on fleabay, so replaced my old one with this and fitted a turbo blanket once all refitted and then test drove today.
Now only hits 1 bar of boost!!!
I've checked the actuator arm isn't catching on the blanket and there's no marks to indicate that it has. Can't find any exhaust leaks. All boost pipes are tight and can't find any splits anywhere.

When driving I can't here any sucking noises from any hoses to indicate any hoses split anywhere. Noticed its only reaching 60-70% injector cycle at 1 bar aswell.

Apart from removing the turbo (again ) and changing back to my old up pipe, is there anything else anyone can suggest? Surely it doesn't need the map tweaking with the bigger up pipe?

Any advice is appreciated
Old 05 April 2014, 09:40 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Also forgot to mention I'm running a 2 port boost solenoid and a HKS dump valve.
I've removed the dump valve in case that was leaking but it's made no difference at all.
I have got a 3 port solenoid to be fitted but know it needs mapping in

As said, apart from fitting OE up pipe again and trying, not sure where else to go with it
Old 12 April 2014, 12:00 AM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Well as had not replies I thought I'd give it a go refitting my old up pipe to see if it makes any difference, and the result is......no! Took it out and spool up is 100% better compared to the bigger up pipe I had on but still only boosting to 1.1bar.

Checked all boost hoses and vac lines but don't see any probs. Only other thing I've done since it is was last running 1.3-1.4 bar is the timing belt, and I'd marked all pulleys and turned it over by hand before I reassembled and everything appeared to line up. Apart from this boost/power issue the car drives great and idles fine.

Could it be when it was mapped for the ignition timing that it might be out of that now and need readjusting?
Old 12 April 2014, 10:32 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Re check the cam timing first. What turbo intake pipe you using? Check for leaks between turbo and air flow meter
Old 12 April 2014, 12:51 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

I'm using an aftermarket silicone intake, I've checked it for splits and can't see anything.
As I say car drives and pulls really well, just appears down on boost
Old 14 April 2014, 10:50 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Went out in the car at the weekend and noticed that the boost levels started peaking more so starting confusing me a little.
After speaking to my mapper, FB Tuning, today he explained that the Apexi will actually self adjust itself to try and up the duty cycle etc to adjust the boost, so he suggested rechecking timing as the car will run and drive fine if out by a tooth but won't boost fully due to timing obviously.

Stripped off the covers tonight and found the drivers side can pulleys to be misaligned by one tooth. Removed the belt and tried refitting and turned over and misaligned again....so after throwing many tools on the floor I decided to walk away tonight and retry tomorrow lol.

Just thought I'd post up for anyone else who has the same issues, that even if out by one tooth the car will drive and idle fine
Old 16 April 2014, 08:14 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Please someone help! Below is a pic of where the timing marks were when I took the covers off the other night...

Now after 7-8 attempts I just can't get these to line up?! The top inlet cam mark lines up but can't see if the exhaust cam lines up on the side properly. Just seems like there's too much slack in the belt on the bottom and when I turn it over it pulls the cam round slightly.
I've tried putting the belt mark a tooth over and a tooth under the mark on the cam but is even worse! Losing patience with it now!
The crank and drivers side cd are all spot on their marks, it's just this passenger side one
Old 16 April 2014, 08:38 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Meant to add its a dayco belt I've fitted along with uprated guides and tensioner.
Help please someone
Old 16 April 2014, 10:29 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

hi mate i know rich at fb and im a mechanic myself,i done the exact same thing on one of my scoobs classic i done the timing belt at my garage i had (my first one)and i learnt the hard way i changed the belt and tensioner but i did not remove the idlers as auto data tells you to,all looked ok put back together it felt down on power re checked timing and two of the cams out by half a tooth like yours i done it correct second time round do what it says on the autodata timing book word for word dont cheat like me and it will be ok and rich is wright it should re learn the timing and re adjust accordingly.... if your still having the cam 1/2 toothe out when tensioning turn the cam so you mark is to the left of the exhaust mark so when you tension the belt it lines up with the ex mark,always turn the engine by hand a few revolutions make sure them marks are 100 % before finishing off

Last edited by stevie turbo; 16 April 2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 16 April 2014, 10:33 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

The first time I did it I did it by the autodata book lol. Removed and replaced the idlers and tensioner etc but I'll admit the past few times I've cheated and tried doing by not removing them, but I'll try again by the autodata book and see.
When you redid it by the book did all the pulleys line up spot on then?
Old 16 April 2014, 10:40 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

yes they did,ive done thousands of timing belts as i owned my own buisness been in the trade since school,but this was my first subaru one i refited the new belt but left the idlers on didnt think it would hurt but due to the sheer lengh of the belt you need to get all the slack out of the none tensoined side and the only way to do it is take them off fit the belt on your cams then refit the idlers then it was spot on,if you look at your pic there not a full tooth out only half re do it as per autodata cheers steve
Old 16 April 2014, 10:45 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

I'm the same mate, done loads of timing belts in the past, I'm a mechanic and been doing it for over 10 years now but same as yourself this is my first impreza/boxer engine one. Never known such a pain in the **** to get fully lined up and that's what I found so frustrating lol. Searched loads of threads of people saying they've had the same issue of the same pulleys not lining up but that it's normal and they never experienced any issues!!
Appreciate your reply Steve so I at least know now that the pulleys will line up once I get all the slack out. Cheers
Old 16 April 2014, 10:58 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

they are frustraiting when you do your first i was like you,me and my apprentice all holding the cams with spanners to stop em kicking roundyou need like a ten hands lol,but its no different to any other cam belt if they lined up on old belt they should line up on new.if i remeber right i used some wodden pegs to hold the cams in the end,if you havent got cam locking tools.plus ask rich at fb tuning for anything you unsure of mate he is a really helpfull guy...

Last edited by stevie turbo; 16 April 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 16 April 2014, 11:03 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've been doing the belt on my own and pretty much acting like a octopus trying to keep everything in line lol. Hopefully by starting from scratch again I'll chase the slack out the belt right upto the tensioner and this will work.
If it still won't line up then I was going to ring Rich again for any pointers, can't fault him on his work and recommended a few of my Scooby mates to him for mapping etc
Old 16 April 2014, 11:05 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

good luck chap re try be pataint if getting stressed have a cup of tea and re try always works
Old 16 April 2014, 11:07 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Appreciate your help and advice, cheers Steve
Old 18 April 2014, 01:59 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Im no mechanic but when i did my timing belt. I first timed up the passenger side and then locked the belt in place with mole grips. Then i timed up the driver side but i did one thing different. The bottom driver side cam i left it out by one tooth facing slightly to the right. Then i refitted one the of bottom idlers on. This caused the cam which was slightly out to align up correctly. Now both sides should be timed up properly. i then removed the mole grips and pulled the tension pin. Now all for cams should be timed up 100%.

i hope that helps.

Cheers

Kaif
Old 18 April 2014, 08:40 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Yeah I tried fitting the exhaust cam one tooth over and under and made it worse. Also tried fitting the inlet can one tooth over and under, and found the 2 marks appear to line up better but the top mark is blatantly advanced one tooth?!
I've now refitted everything as it should be and the two pulleys are still out slightly, but car drives fine, idles fine and comes on boost well but just not hitting as high