Notices

Charge cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2014, 01:55 PM
Mrdetaileruk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge cooler question

Hi folks. I'm currently running a charge cooler on my uk turbo 2000. I have a td05, full exhaust with no cats, grey injectors, and a ecu with switchable maps. When i'm on high boost i get a wee stutter, hoping its from the plugs. I have iridium plug to put in but i was told it could be due to my charge cooler as the cars not being kept cool enough. Any truth in this? I don't razz my car everywhere, just a blip now and again but would like to cure this stutter.

Thanks
Old 18 April 2014, 08:25 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Mrdetaileruk
Hi folks. I'm currently running a charge cooler on my uk turbo 2000. I have a td05, full exhaust with no cats, grey injectors, and a ecu with switchable maps. When i'm on high boost i get a wee stutter, hoping its from the plugs. I have iridium plug to put in but i was told it could be due to my charge cooler as the cars not being kept cool enough. Any truth in this? I don't razz my car everywhere, just a blip now and again but would like to cure this stutter.

Thanks
If your charge temp is high enough to cause that sort of problem I'd be really concerned!
Our personal experience of charge coolers hasn't been that good, we've only used them before as a supplementary option when there isn't the right situation for effective air/air versions. All the types we tested were found wanting.
Do you have any pictures of your set up? I'm happy to give you some feedback on it. You can PM me, or email to alan@enginetuner.co.uk
Old 18 April 2014, 08:58 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

A proper set up charge cooler system will out perform a air to air intercooler but the cost is much greater and generally heavier.
I am currently running a legacy chargecooler will is very inefficient but still only get temps approx 10 to 15 above ambient. I am currently fitting a much better system and am expecting much lower temps.
As above some pics of your system and some details about the items used.
I
Old 19 April 2014, 09:46 AM
Mrdetaileruk
Scooby Newbie

I'll get some pics soon as. Honestly not a clue what temp the charge cooler is running at. I changed the water in it a couple of months ago. The car came with it when i bought it. The previous owner has always had it fitted at at one point was running roughly 16psi but it was done with a fcd and a bed spring, lol. Worked a treat though so i'm hoping its just a plug issue.

Thanks very much for the reply's and i'll get that pic soon as i can. Car seems to run fine on low boost which makes roughly 14/15psi.
Old 19 April 2014, 09:59 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

bed spring? lol do tell us more.