Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2011, 04:56 AM
spally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance question...

just a quick one.

Sarah was driving my car as a named driver on my policy when the little oik smashed into her and wrote the car off.

Car in my name, my policy, Sarah named driver.

Also Sarah has her own car, her policy me named driver.

So my question is come renewal time. do we:

a) declare on my policy sarah has been involved in an accident and say nothing on her renewal for her policy.

b) say nothing on mine and declare sarah has been involved in an accident when she renews her policy.

c) declare there has been an accident on both??

not trying to get out of anything here, just regret having to pay more when something was beyond our control.

cheers
Old 15 February 2011, 06:01 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Declare on both. Failing to give all the full information could easily give them a reason not to pay out if a future claim arises.

Andrea is named on my ins, someone drove into the back of our car last year, although we claimed, as it was not her fault we did not suffer an increase in premium.
Old 15 February 2011, 06:25 AM
spally
Scooby Regular

cheers neil, that's what i thought we should do, better to be safe than sorry. although they say an accident that is not your fault shouldnt affect you.....it does.

Sarah's policy is up for renewal now so have done a few online quotes with declaring and without. It does make a difference not only on the premium but also the excess!!!
Old 15 February 2011, 11:29 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spally
cheers neil, that's what i thought we should do, better to be safe than sorry. although they say an accident that is not your fault shouldnt affect you.....it does.

Sarah's policy is up for renewal now so have done a few online quotes with declaring and without. It does make a difference not only on the premium but also the excess!!!
its a crappy deal mate i had 2 non fault claims last year both write offs and its costing me as for your question you need to declare the accident on both as when you recieve your ncd/renewal it will show accident dates etc it does on mine directchoice worth a go there quite cheap for me
Old 15 February 2011, 11:55 AM
DMX1988
Scooby Regular

I had a zx9r kawasaki ninja superbike smash into the front of my van on a foggy morning a couple years ago. The police came and all that jazz, he had, no licence, no insurance, wasnt his bike and was 16 !!!!! the police put it down as he lost control of his bike, and slammed into my van. I didnt declare this to my insurance and since seen the police case on the rider of which there was no mention of my name or my reg, just "A White Small Van". I cant see my insurers ever finding out about it can you?
Old 15 February 2011, 11:58 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DMX1988
I had a zx9r kawasaki ninja superbike smash into the front of my van on a foggy morning a couple years ago. The police came and all that jazz, he had, no licence, no insurance, wasnt his bike and was 16 !!!!! the police put it down as he lost control of his bike, and slammed into my van. I didnt declare this to my insurance and since seen the police case on the rider of which there was no mention of my name or my reg, just "A White Small Van". I cant see my insurers ever finding out about it can you?
Your choice I suppose, but if you do have an accident and the insurance are able to dig details out of the incident, they will then throw the 'non-disclosure' at you.
Old 15 February 2011, 12:36 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DMX1988

Did you make a claim then? i had 2 cases of people hitting my previous discovery and doing no damage whatsoever to it and still reported it to insurers. The others insurance (both were tesco IIRC) sent an assesor out to examine the disco also. why would you run the risk of them throwing something back at you for no reason?
Old 15 February 2011, 01:38 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spally

Paul, I insure all my vehicles via Moley, even now they are all standard, the cost and service cannot be beaten.
Old 15 February 2011, 04:32 PM
DMX1988
Scooby Regular

No i didnt claim, i fixed it myself, new slam panel, bumper and rad. The main reason i did not declare it to my insurers was at no point in the police case to follow was my name or the reg of the van, so for an increase in premium it didnt seem worth it because there was very little tracability to my vehicle or me. This was a few years back now. If the lad on the bike had of tried having me over i woulda foned my insurers immediatly however this was not the case. A risk i suppose but 1 i saw fit to take.

Jay
Old 15 February 2011, 09:30 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Declare on both. Failing to give all the full information could easily give them a reason not to pay out if a future claim arises.

Agree with everything he says. Plus, if your insurance company was to find out, they may void your policy. Worse case scenario is the first you know about it is when you set off an ANPR reader, you get stopped and the car is seized and impounded, leaving you (and perhaps Sarah and Bobbie) at the side of the road. Minimum is £250 fine & 6 points + towing fee (another £105) and any storage (£20 per day)

In the end it's just not worth it