Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Sub 5k fun, cheap, relaibale daily driver. RenaultSport Clio 182?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 08:09 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sub 5k fun, cheap, relaibale daily driver. RenaultSport Clio 182?

Exciting sub £5 grand daily driver required guys.
Any thoughts views or opinions on one of these as a more interesting daily whip? Are they as good as the Performance mags (EVO etc) say?
So far it ticks all my boxes as long as i can see past the fact its French lol

Ive done a little digging and it seems that one with both the cup packs is the best as a daily driver as it comes with gas lights, climate, alcantara trim etc etc.
Seen the usual info regarding important cambelt changes and possible worn 2nd/3rd syncros etc.
I do at least 50 miles a day and am currently driving a Ford Transit Connect. Super practical and useful by mega boring if youre a petrolhead like me.

Im not looking for anything that has to set the world alight as im leaving that to the Impreza. Just want a fun, cheapish daily driver. Seeminly, theres really nothing else out there that floats my boat for the money.
Howvere i havent yet driven one and want to know what people who have owned them think?

What do i need to know chaps?
Cheers Frayz
Old 10 February 2011, 08:23 PM
hales
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really a family car m8
Old 10 February 2011, 08:29 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm thinking of getting something similar mate (but a 172) to replace the Corsa
Old 10 February 2011, 08:36 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
So am I,
well as long as you can sort the insurance for it for the same £ as the FTO
Old 10 February 2011, 08:36 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

gti6?
Old 10 February 2011, 09:08 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Great little cars Frayz, loads of fun but still practical to boot!

Datsun Lee has a 172 Cup and loves it long time, I've not driven it but been a passenger a few times and it's a real hoot.

Only negatives I've heard of is the cambelt & auxillary belt change prices and the drivers seat/pedals position, but Lee is 6'4" and has plenty of room and says it's pretty comfy.

It's a bit 'VTEC-IE' as it doesn't start shifting until about 4k ish but it's not exactly a slouch before that, a bit buzzy at higher speeds but nothing uncomfortable, it's a small car with a 2.0l - not really un-expected to be honest.

Most people complain the standard brakes are a little soft and Lee has said the same, although a set of grooved disks, uprated pads and 5.1 fluid are absolute peanuts compared to Subaru items.

K-Tec is the company that most seem to use and Lee will be getting his brakes and maybe a few other bits and bobs from them.

Some good write-up's and info on Pistonheads, they seem to like them too!
Old 10 February 2011, 09:11 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Ross, have you done it yet
Old 10 February 2011, 09:12 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Sort me out a quote please Gaz

Originally Posted by KickboxingCrazy
gti6?
Bit old now mate in comparisson

Originally Posted by kin quick
Great little cars Frayz, loads of fun but still practical to boot!

Datsun Lee has a 172 Cup and loves it long time, I've not driven it but been a passenger a few times and it's a real hoot.

Only negatives I've heard of is the cambelt & auxillary belt change prices and the drivers seat/pedals position, but Lee is 6'4" and has plenty of room and says it's pretty comfy.

It's a bit 'VTEC-IE' as it doesn't start shifting until about 4k ish but it's not exactly a slouch before that, a bit buzzy at higher speeds but nothing uncomfortable, it's a small car with a 2.0l - not really un-expected to be honest.

Most people complain the standard brakes are a little soft and Lee has said the same, although a set of grooved disks, uprated pads and 5.1 fluid are absolute peanuts compared to Subaru items.

K-Tec is the company that most seem to use and Lee will be getting his brakes and maybe a few other bits and bobs from them.

Some good write-up's and info on Pistonheads, they seem to like them too!
Ive done some good research on all the stuff to look for ie belts shockers, syncros blah blah.

Just interested to see if anyone has owned one?

By all accounts the hot hatch which benchmarks all others. i think a little hatch with some guts could well be on the cards.

Bored of the van and need a change i think.
Old 10 February 2011, 09:21 PM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Do you not fancy a Civic type R, early ones are cheap and theres not really owt that goes wrong with them. Suppose its just wether your happy revving the guts off it all the time. I had one before getting my impreza and would love one as a cheaper run around.

Plus its not French..................
Old 10 February 2011, 09:28 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Ross, have you done it yet
Yep

Originally Posted by frayz

Ive done some good research on all the stuff to look for ie belts shockers, syncros blah blah.

Just interested to see if anyone has owned one?

By all accounts the hot hatch which benchmarks all others. i think a little hatch with some guts could well be on the cards.

Bored of the van and need a change i think.
If you want Datsun boy's number and have a chat or look at his, let me know, sure he will be willing to talk about it.
Old 10 February 2011, 09:41 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

my son had a 51 plate 172 with around 35000 genuine miles it was probably the most unreliable car we have owned yes it wqas quick and well equiped but lights kept playing up central locking was intermitant, rear engine mount failure is a regular problem rear shocks replace bit like the scoobs and the final straw was the immobiliser stuck on and it took 4 weeks to get it sorted apparently on the cliosport forum this is again a common problem, bits of door trim etc fell off regularly and we also had to have the gearbox refurb thats another common weakness moved onto a skoda octavia vrs with 80000 miles on and its the beast sorry i cant be more positive but my other son had a friend who had a 182 and he had probs with t hat aswell so we certainly wouldnt have another down to the reliability issues someone suggested a early type r i would recommend one instead of the clio down to the reliability issues

Last edited by Mrfastbaz; 10 February 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 09:59 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

if it can have two seats its got to be a mr2 turbo , you can pick rev 3/4s up at 2.5k and will be poss modded so running 250+ bhp at the rear
i had one a few years back running 380bhp , still miss it

stu
Old 10 February 2011, 10:24 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Afraid i want something NA Stu. I have a sill turbo car on the drive. Not an MR2 fan either im afraid.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:30 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

then a 182 is a good choice :-)
Old 10 February 2011, 10:40 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

My ex had a 172 (well i wanted one but did'nt want to sell mine so convinced her into getting one:) and i think i could safely say it's one of the most fun cars i've driven, bags of tourqe and spot on handling, SO much fun to drive and chuck around nearly always got out of it with a grin, i think i would even go as far to say that if i sold the impreza i would get one as a replacement

I've not driven a 182 but according to the tech's at renault where i used to work they said the 172 was better and felt quicker than the 182!!! they said they would go for the 172 everytime

The servicing is dear but i'm sure your more than capable of sorting that, but from renault a full service with belt change is near on 1k, if you do get one and want the belt changed i know an ex renault tech who's set up on his own and does them nice and cheap
Old 10 February 2011, 11:08 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Great feedback guys, keep em coming
Old 10 February 2011, 11:25 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear Mini's are really good
Old 10 February 2011, 11:33 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I hear Mini's are really good
NO!!!
Old 10 February 2011, 11:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Old 11 February 2011, 08:55 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

A friend had a 182 Cup and it was a nice car. Decent torque/power delivery and can really throw it into corners. He never had any reliability issues and the only problem he had was selling it as all the 'wrong' types kept calling up and offering silly money.

One thing he regrets is not spending the little extra and going for the Trophy with the different shockers etc. Apparently, it is a lot extra for not a lot extra.

Personally, I love fwd Frenchie hatches. Although I would go old school 205 everytime (not ideal for reliabiity obviously). Any Pug newer than a 106 GTI (had one of these and another cracking little car) are terrible (206,307 etc).

Fiesta ST?? Not as fun as a Clio but would be a decent run around...
Old 11 February 2011, 08:57 AM
NickBes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz
my son had a 51 plate 172 with around 35000 genuine miles it was probably the most unreliable car we have owned yes it wqas quick and well equiped but lights kept playing up central locking was intermitant, rear engine mount failure is a regular problem rear shocks replace bit like the scoobs and the final straw was the immobiliser stuck on and it took 4 weeks to get it sorted apparently on the cliosport forum this is again a common problem, bits of door trim etc fell off regularly and we also had to have the gearbox refurb thats another common weakness moved onto a skoda octavia vrs with 80000 miles on and its the beast sorry i cant be more positive but my other son had a friend who had a 182 and he had probs with t hat aswell so we certainly wouldnt have another down to the reliability issues someone suggested a early type r i would recommend one instead of the clio down to the reliability issues
I cant comment on the Clio but your right about the vRS, fun and very practical
Old 11 February 2011, 09:12 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for a CTR. I loved mine when i had it and early ones can be picked up for 5k. Although ive never driven a 172/182 i should imagine the CTR to be more reliable and better screwed together, i certainly had no problems in 2.5 years of ownership and only got rid as i was just about to become a dad and wanted a 4 door
Old 11 February 2011, 09:16 AM
Scooby Senior

CTR's are pretty damn quick I drove one of the first 2 Osbourne's had in Essex in 2001/2. The person that test drove the other one wrote it off on the A12. I was told to take it easy
Old 11 February 2011, 09:29 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Had a CTR from new and found it to be a reliable and very well screwed together car. M8 had a clio 182 at the same time and the CTR JUST out dragged it in a straight line.

I put a Gruppe M induction kit and Spoon N1 Cat back exhaust kit on it and it sounded totally mental when above 6000Rpm. always fancied a Honda data ECU and reducing the VTEC stepover to 4000 Rpm or so. They are very lacking in low down grunt, so much so that you find yourself changing down to 5th on a motorway when overtaking just to gain some decent speed. Mind you it's more than mde up for by a cross country blat when you can keep it singing all the way to 8200Rpm. Mine was 100% reliable in the 3 years I had it. Just keep your eye on oil levels because they will and do use oil.

As for my M8s Clio 182 Cup. He had little electrical gremlins during the first 12 months and if i remember correctly he also had a intermittant CEL which the dealer had problems tracing the cause. He eventually wrote it off. Lift off understeer straight off the road and into a ditch.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:31 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Stu if you dr9ove the red one , that would be the one I drove during my test drive. I heard the other one was written off when the test driver clipped a tractor on a country road, offside wheel dug in and it rolled 3 times. Apparently there wasn't a straight panel left on it
Old 11 February 2011, 09:37 AM
Scooby Senior

PMSL Boydy, that's the one they were sharing the 2 cars between dealers, well 1 car . I had a long lecture before we were allowed out. I found they like to be driven fast all the time. I was going to buy one but got cold feet.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:16 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers for all the great feedback guys. I guess id like a drive out in both the CTR and the Clio.

Clio is pulling me more at the mo though.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:29 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
PMSL Boydy, that's the one they were sharing the 2 cars between dealers, well 1 car . I had a long lecture before we were allowed out. I found they like to be driven fast all the time. I was going to buy one but got cold feet.
Exactly the same lecture as I had And yep they had to drive it from Osbournes Chelmsford for me to have the test drive.

Remember the dealer sitting next to me and giving me this big lecture about the other one being written off then once we was out in the country lanes near Dedham approaching this 90 degree right hander and telling me to change down to 2nd and then floor it went round like it was on rails..Loved my CTR

Test drive time young Frayz
Old 11 February 2011, 10:45 AM
Scooby Senior

My next door neighbour has one, it's never used, if he ever sells it I may well buy it
Old 11 February 2011, 02:16 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

If it’s of any use Frayz, I had an “old style” one of these before I got into Scoobs – only a 1.4ltr but I thrashed it around all day long and always still got 40+mpg. As others have said, on a motorway it’s a bit buzzy but you get used to it after a while.

Had mine for 3 yrs and did 35k before moving into a scoob and all that ever happened to me was the coil breaking down twice, once in Yorkshire, the other time local so no real major problems.

Trim was a bit “plastically” but I didn’t really care TBH – it was cheap to run & I used an agent to service it and he was pretty cheap compared to the Main Dealer prices (‘ain’t that a surprise)….

Handling was “entertaining” once you got used to the set up and off the line it gave a few better cars a bit of a wake up…

Go for it!

Quick Reply: Sub 5k fun, cheap, relaibale daily driver. RenaultSport Clio 182?