Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

im gonna be a STI!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2009, 07:41 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im gonna be a STI!! lol

as a few of you may have read a couple of days ago my T2k has started to rattle!

after much stressing and nearly deciding to sell it in parts... some very good men from a very good place in essex introduced me to this lot... Welcome to SMR Engines..

so thats what its gonna be... im going to be off the road for a while but ill be comming back in a beast! cant wait!! maybe any 1 with an STI box and diff could drop me a pm in the next few weeks asking me if i want to buy it!

i will try to do a step by step thread on here for all to see! until then im gonna take off my wheels and referb them in white!

fingers crossed this will work!
Old 23 August 2009, 08:23 PM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

good luck g ,if you need any help you know where we are mate!
Old 23 August 2009, 08:47 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

nice 1 tony... im sure ill be seeing you quite abit! lol
Old 23 August 2009, 08:50 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

good luck with the build fella
Old 23 August 2009, 10:57 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

question.. these engines are all from japan, will it fit my gearbox?
Old 23 August 2009, 11:17 PM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

all i know is the sti boxes are close ratio then again i could be wrong
Old 24 August 2009, 02:06 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

AHHGGG! why isit that every thing that gets planed for the scooby is shat apon from a great hight!

Been reading ALOT of bad reports on SMR engines where i was gonna get my lump from! API have GOOD reports as do ZEN but im gonna be looking at 3-4k+ with those lot surely?

i really dont know what to do??? help!
Old 24 August 2009, 02:13 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

i wasn't going to say anything i onlyn heard bad things about them if i'm honest. Y not rebuild your existing bnlock with forged pistons etc??
Old 24 August 2009, 02:21 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally if it was me i'd sell the car you curently have and buy an sti to start with. I just paid £3k for an my97 sti.
Old 24 August 2009, 02:41 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

i aint gonna sell a rattleing scoob tho am i?! lol
Old 24 August 2009, 02:56 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

You'd be surprised, stick it up for a reasonable price, sell it then take that money plus your rebuild budget and you won't be far away from 3K.

Then get a STi, their out there Matt has proved that
Old 24 August 2009, 03:16 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

my scoob shell is mint tho... leather etc... aint gonna get a mint STI with leather for 3k! im starting to think along the lines of Forged re-build on mine, bigger turbo and a map. im waiting for a fella from API to ring me back now!
Old 24 August 2009, 03:22 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

lucky you did a bit of research first there bud. nothing worse than getting a piece of s!!!! fitted into your scoob.
Old 24 August 2009, 03:27 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are making the wrong decision tbh, but good luck all the same.

If I were to give you any advice at all I would tell you to step back for a week and find out exactly what you need. Building as you go along making mistakes and compensating for incompatible parts is gonna be heartbreaking when you see the costs rising.

You would easily get 1k+ for yours if it is indeed mint. Add the 3k+ its gonna cost you to do yours in Gbox, engine, diff ecu, mapping etc and you could by a car monumentally superior to yours regardless of it's mintness.

My wagon is tip top but would I do what your proposing, would I bollox. I love my wagon just shy of my first born but I'd break it and start again.

Engines are expensive and proportionally to buy the car that goes with it is a better investment for sure.

HTH please take in genuine good faith mate.
Old 24 August 2009, 03:40 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

i do take you in good faith mr 53wrx i do here what your saying and i do agree with you im just thinking the following stuff.. .. .

this will be a project spread over time as we dont have the funds to hand right away. to get a engine thats gonna cost rough £750 will take us a couple of months to save for.

i have not long replaced the breaks, bushes, and 98% of all the underside of the car.
Mint shell i have not long forked out on graphics on, cosmetic bits like the leathers are hard to come by and i love the fact i have them. all the lights have been crystal`d, STI rears etc which i could replace but means i would have to by them all off ebay.

and the biggy..... for some reason altho im 27 with 3years no claims to insure a STI is crazy money!! lol so to mod mine (still declairing it) still works out cheaper in the long run to insure!!

i would love to buy an STi but at this stage in my life its just not an option! i could sell the wife and kids tho?? hahaha!!

im in such a deep hole!! DOH! lol
Old 24 August 2009, 03:47 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

It's going to cost you a huge amount more than £750 for a forged build fella Even just rebuilding yours! You're looking at £600 for a set of bottom of the rung forged pistons, then you've got the rods, bearing, gaskets and labour. Plus all the mapping to boot.
Old 24 August 2009, 03:54 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

cheapest cosworth piston start around £750+ around 125-150 for rings with out rods, if staying cosworth about another 750, this is with out liners, bearing, cranks etc...
Old 24 August 2009, 03:58 PM
Scooby Senior

In which case I wouldn't get too hung up on STi engines. Find a ratty '97 WRX as a donor. Upgrade the oil pump for safety and spend some budget on engine longevity like a cool thermostat, alloy rad, front mount and RCM induction etc. Similarly, invest in a ECU/remap from JGM and enjoy the car within financial reach.

This is the first of many cracking scoobs you'll own, trust me...and all the bits you love about your current car can repopulate an STi when you get over the magic 30.

It's worth mentioning that lots of cars boast billy big ***** components and forged wot nots etc. BUT I always maintain a standard engine cosseted with safe mods and money to spare is a far better proposition than a precarious big build on a tight budget.
Old 24 August 2009, 03:59 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
It's going to cost you a huge amount more than £750 for a forged build fella Even just rebuilding yours! You're looking at £600 for a set of bottom of the rung forged pistons, then you've got the rods, bearing, gaskets and labour. Plus all the mapping to boot.
sorry i said that wrong... i was going along the lines of buying another lump for a budget of £750.

as for a strip down and build (plus extra for parts)i have been quoted £400 by a dude on SN to see what the problem is. As for forgeing thats yet another option i have considderd. i have had soooooooooooooo many people PM`n me saying do this, do that, i know this person, i know that person. i have mad a few calls to people and im just looking at all options before i make a decision on what i do! im just a little confussed atm.

i have done a few engine swaps/builds b4 but im totaly lost when it comes to these engines.

i really do see what all you lot are saying about getting another car but its just not do-able for us as its 1 lump sum of money. The build option mite work out the same as a new car if not more but its spread out more. im prob looking at Xmas for completion atm which is why i think buying a new engine is the easyest option.

A STi lump will be good but the horrer storys i have heard about SMR are to great to even take the risk.
To replace a engine would be the easyer option for me right now! i just gotta find 1!! lol

Sorry if i sound ignorent or any thing in what i say its not ment that way. if i had the moneys there in the bank to just get a build from such like of API or ZEN then i would do it! just cannay afford it! lol

thanks for all your comments, this is what i wanted from you lot as with your help i hope i will do the right thing. i just cant afford to buy a new car!

hope that makes sense im shat at explaning what i mean!
Old 24 August 2009, 04:04 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

ah wondered where £750 for a rebuild had come from If you're looking for another lump try index (Nevendon South East Cars) You'll want the Battlesbridge site. Only worry that just swapping out for a spare engine gives me is you never know the history.

Good luck with which ever route you take. And oi Stu i've got an STi and I'm not 30

Till next month
Old 24 August 2009, 04:05 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

You are a brave man if you are considering buying a used 2nd hand engine that you know nothing about ie history etc.It might be fine on the other hand it might go bang within a few miles.I'd either get shot altogether or save up for a rebuild from a reputable company as IMO its false economy to hang your hopes on a 2nd hand lump

good luck all the same
Old 24 August 2009, 04:06 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyman1982
AHHGGG! why isit that every thing that gets planed for the scooby is shat apon from a great hight!

Been reading ALOT of bad reports on SMR engines where i was gonna get my lump from! API have GOOD reports as do ZEN but im gonna be looking at 3-4k+ with those lot surely?

i really dont know what to do??? help!
I think that statement proves that you get what you pay for.
Old 24 August 2009, 04:13 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
You are a brave man if you are considering buying a used 2nd hand engine that you know nothing about ie history etc.It might be fine on the other hand it might go bang within a few miles.I'd either get shot altogether or save up for a rebuild from a reputable company as IMO its false economy to hang your hopes on a 2nd hand lump

good luck all the same
I agree, works for some but it's no guarantee.

If I HAD to do it I would be looking for a running donor which could be driven, listened too on cans etc. Plenty of money to be recouped on a swap out or breaking between what you keep and what you don't.

Matt's almost 30 !
Old 24 August 2009, 04:13 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

i was not looking for a 2nd hand engine to start off with. i was introduced to SMR who supplyed re-build/re-coned engines. so in my eyes to fork out on a re built engine was feasable. i have since learned for SMR to be cack and they mug people off supplying cleaned and resprayed engines that are not very reliable.

so now im stuck as to what to do with a small wallet!

i do not want a 2nd hand engine without any history as that would just be stupid!

think ill just join the essex micra club!
Old 24 August 2009, 04:15 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I agree, works for some but it's no guarantee.

If I HAD to do it I would be looking for a running donor which could be driven, listened too on cans etc. Plenty of money to be recouped on a swap out or breaking between what you keep and what you don't.

Matt's almost 30 !
that has also crossed my mind
Old 24 August 2009, 04:27 PM
Scooby Senior

Just not this one !

2001 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX SILVER on eBay (end time 31-Aug-09 11:11:24 BST)
Old 24 August 2009, 04:39 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Stu your joking it's got a vision 8 scoop it must be good

Oh and he will add extra detail if he has misted it
Old 24 August 2009, 05:09 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

right... i think im gonna get a little run about 1.1 or somthing stupid like that and get my engine seen to by david and the guys at API for the price of another scoob and the risk of the same thing happning i think the extra cost is the way to go. for an extra bit of dolla ill go for the lightend fly wheels and polished and ported headers also.

im going to be very skint and car less for a while but will be worth it in the long run.

now who wants to buy bottle of coke for a couple of grand?
Old 24 August 2009, 05:10 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

meh i cant open links to ebay from sn for some strange reason
Old 24 August 2009, 05:15 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scoobyman1982
right... i think im gonna get a little run about 1.1 or somthing stupid like that and get my engine seen to by david and the guys at API for the price of another scoob and the risk of the same thing happning i think the extra cost is the way to go. for an extra bit of dolla ill go for the lightend fly wheels and polished and ported headers also.

im going to be very skint and car less for a while but will be worth it in the long run.

now who wants to buy bottle of coke for a couple of grand?
Buy Dave's Autoart, profit to be made for engine building !

Don't forget the not so sexy bits

Quick Reply: im gonna be a STI!! lol