Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Excited - picking up car today + future plans

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2009, 09:41 AM
RobWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Excited - picking up car today + future plans

Owned my black WRX for 5 years and not really had many mods done, I've got some Prodrive springs and a Hayward and Scott back-box on it but that (was) it.

Car went into Xtreme Scoobies about 5 weeks ago to have a new idle speed control value fitted as was hunting at idle and almost undrivable. I'm finally picking it up later this morning, this time with the full H&S exhaust and a remap carried out

I've ordered a BC coil over kit in a group buy on here and I've spoken to John and JP Polishing about getting wheels refurbished and powder coated in gloss black (£170 - which sounded good to me?)

Also going to attempt to 'de-tango' the lights (ordered the Philips WY21W bulbs).

Anyone know how easy it is to de-badge the grill and boot?

Also what is required to de-spoiler the rear?

I've decided to do all of this as I cannot afford to change my car (wanted and Evo IX - sorry...) & as I've owned it from brand new & I know it's history etc so let the (gentle) modding begin!

I hope to come to the tunnel run in October now I have a full exhaust and get more involved in ESC!

Cheers,

RobWRX

Last edited by RobWRX; 21 August 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 21 August 2009, 10:23 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some nice well thought out mods there fella. Re the wheels, personally I'd be looking at using lepsons. They're not much more expensive and the finish leaves JP looking like they were done with rattle cans.
Old 21 August 2009, 10:24 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Rob,

Good to hear you are having some useful mods

With regard to de-spoilering, I called Grade-A and bought a complete new boot lid with no holes in it (I struck lucky though, used lids are around £50 - £60), but had the boot lock welded in at the same time to complete the flush look (total all in cost of mine was around £200-£220 start to finish).

Others have removed their spoilers and got their holes filled/welded in, but I thought the best route was to just change the boot lid, if you have room to store your existing lid, as you can change them over in under 20 minutes , so for the days when you want a spoiler, it isn't a great chore to fit

Last edited by Nate; 21 August 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 21 August 2009, 10:53 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Rob,

Welcome to the ESC mate

I have the BC coilovers on my bug and love em, (teamed up with Whiteline ARB's front and back) hopefully you will too

As for debadging the rear its easy, hairdryer to heat up the glue on the lettering then some cotton or something like that behind to help remove from the boot. Then some bug and tar remover for any sticky residude left over.

I had my headlights de tangoed for me when I had a blob, someone on here by the name of STI_Lad (charles) done them for me.

David
Old 21 August 2009, 11:32 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobWRX
Owned my black WRX for 5 years and not really had many mods done, I've got some Prodrive springs and a Hayward and Scott back-box on it but that (was) it.
Nice

Lots of scope to make a WRX be the best it can be without going to excess. I would still have mine if not for the opportunity to swap for a Spec D without much change cost.

Mine

https://www.scoobynet.com/garage/200...728-53WRX.html
Old 21 August 2009, 11:58 AM
RobWRX
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I just picked the car up and drove it back to Stansted and it feels much smoother and noticeably faster , also the exhaust isn't much louder than when I had just the back box (when driving normally - which is exactly what I wanted).

Originally Posted by Nate
Rob,
With regard to de-spoilering, I called Grade-A and bought a complete new boot lid with no holes in it (I struck lucky though, used lids are around £50 - £60), but had the boot lock welded in at the same time to complete the flush look (total all in cost of mine was around £200-£220 start to finish). Others have removed their spoilers and got their holes filled/welded in, but I thought the best route was to just change the boot lid, if you have room to store your existing lid, as you can change them over in under 20 minutes , so for the days when you want a spoiler, it isn't a great chore to fit
Thanks for the info - interesting about having two that you can swap around!

Originally Posted by S600B_DC
Rob,

Welcome to the ESC mate
I have the BC coilovers on my bug and love em, (teamed up with Whiteline ARB's front and back) hopefully you will too
As for debadging the rear its easy, hairdryer to heat up the glue on the lettering then some cotton or something like that behind to help remove from the boot. Then some bug and tar remover for any sticky residude left over.
I had my headlights de tangoed for me when I had a blob, someone on here by the name of STI_Lad (charles) done them for me.
David
Thanks for the info - is it worth getting anti-roll bars fitted if getting coil overs?

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Nice
Lots of scope to make a WRX be the best it can be without going to excess. I would still have mine if not for the opportunity to swap for a Spec D without much change cost.
Mine
https://www.scoobynet.com/garage/200...728-53WRX.html
Spec D was also on my shortlist if I was going to change cars.

Originally Posted by mneame
Some nice well thought out mods there fella. Re the wheels, personally I'd be looking at using lepsons. They're not much more expensive and the finish leaves JP looking like they were done with rattle cans.
Thanks for the tip - just checked Lepsons website - I will give them a call.

Thoughts on black wheels on black car?
Old 13 April 2010, 09:47 PM
RobWRX
Scooby Regular

Well, finally got the BC coilovers fitted at Mocom Racing last weekend, also been "de-tango'd" & wheels refurbished at Pristine...

Last edited by RobWRX; 13 April 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 13 April 2010, 10:11 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Looking good Just the debadging to do then?

This is a handy guide if you fancy giving it a go yourself. Video - Debadging a WRX or STi

I did mine.

Then fancied a change & put them back on. It made the exhaust swell up though so be careful.

Old 13 April 2010, 10:32 PM
RobWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
Looking good Just the debadging to do then?

This is a handy guide if you fancy giving it a go yourself. Video - Debadging a WRX or STi

I did mine.

Then fancied a change & put them back on. It made the exhaust swell up though so be careful.

Very nice! Where did you get the lettering?

I'm still considering 'de-spoilering' but not made my mind up yet...
Old 13 April 2010, 11:00 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Very nice! Where did you get the lettering?

Cheers. There are several places that do the lettering but watch out for the size as most of the auto part type shops only seem to do the smaller ones.

I got mine a while back from the USA as they had more choice then than over here. Plus they are the experts when it comes to bling.

http://www.chromeautoemblems.com/ind...s-numbers-c-20
Old 14 April 2010, 07:11 AM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

You should have said mate when you were down at mocom and i would have done it for ya!
Old 14 April 2010, 07:12 AM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

Nice to meet u as well, car looks sweet now, did u speak to rob about the paint?
Old 14 April 2010, 09:46 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

You know you want to