Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Winds me up

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2009, 05:17 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winds me up

Anyone who knows me will know that I`am one of the most laid back people they have met. I`d rather walk away, turn the other cheek call it what you like but I always avoid confrontation.

So why is it almost everytime I come in contact with the long arm of the law. I`am immediately wound up and want to punch them.

Last night on the Posers as anyone who attended will know parking was almost non existent so like what occurs at every other posers myself and another scoob parked on the pavement by the cafe. We parked longways not endways like some blocking 90% of the pavement. The pavement is approx 14` wide scoob 6` this leaves 8` of room to pass. Not causing an obstruction not a big deal so I thought.
Along comes tweedle dee and tweedle dum sorry I mean two constables flip open there notebooks and are about to write us tickets so I quickly return to the car and say I`ll move it if it`s causing a problem.
The lady PC immediatly comes out with DO I ALWAYS PARK ON THE PAVEMENT IN TOWN CENTRES. My immediate thought was unprintable so I chose to ignore this comment reason being I was`nt in a town centre I was on the sea front I`m not local but even I knew where I was. Then male PC comes out with YOU SEE THOSE YELLOW LINES OVER THERE THEY EXTEND OVER HERE YOU KNOW. At which time I did have a quick look round the car to see what laurel i mean hardy I mean male pc was talking about. But no the lines only went for miles in each direction not diverting off round my car at all strange I think you two are trying to wind me up I`d already said I would move my car no problem.
Anyway choosing to avoid an argument with them I calls coz. and start to get in the car as I`am doing this male pc says that the walkers which were in the area were heading this way and my car was in the way.
Now I deal with the police on a regular basis because of my business and I know they are trained to talk to people one female officer bless her rang me at my office and we were talking about a case and she said she`d like to come and see me but could`nt because she had`nt been trained to talk to me face to face.

Anyway the point I`m making is If the conversation had gone like this:
"Hi I`ll move my car if it`s causing a problem."
Good evening we realise parking is at a premium tonight but the charity walk is heading this way and your vehicle will be causing an obstruction very shortly.
Oh sorry did`nt realise they were coming this way I`m off then thanks.

I would of moved off thinking to myself what a nice couple of officers and they let me off the ticket.

Instead I drove off feeling like they had talked to me like I was a complete idiot, tried to wind me up and at one point felt actually felt like smacking them.

Sorry the post is long but am I the only one who feels this way or has any else had similar experiences?
Old 05 July 2009, 05:52 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

Ark
The 2 people that spoke to you were pcso s
They have instructions not to allow any vehicle to park on a public footpath, or bridle way, this is from the Essex borough council, due to pavements being damaged.
However they have to treat you at an send you the doc if you want regarding vehicles that are parked on the matter if you wish.
Ive had one or 2 run ins in the past nothing bad or serious but i wasnt spoken to in a correct manner,

JJ
i
Old 05 July 2009, 06:14 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Originally Posted by ScatRat
Ark
The 2 people that spoke to you were pcso s
They have instructions not to allow any vehicle to park on a public footpath, or bridle way, this is from the Essex borough council, due to pavements being damaged.
However they have to treat you at an send you the doc if you want regarding vehicles that are parked on the matter if you wish.
Ive had one or 2 run ins in the past nothing bad or serious but i wasnt spoken to in a correct manner,

JJ
i
Thanks for the pm.
I realise I was`nt parked legally it`s the wind up the driver first attitude and then see how he reacts is the part I can`t get my head round. Surely let`s inform him of what`s really going on and then see how he react`s is a far better approach. But generalising here they always start with the sarcasm and if that does`nt get a reaction. Proper info as a last resort.
Obviously it`s all in the training.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:34 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

I think its all in the EGO, Where i work EGO means Mess about and EGOES out the door.
They was both young Am i right?
Old 05 July 2009, 06:40 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

I think its all in the EGO, Where i work EGO means Mess about and EGOES out the door.
They was both young Am i right?
They were about my age 21 ish

Sorry could`nt resist they were both around 40ish.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:43 PM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

OI 40 IS YOUNG PMSL
Old 05 July 2009, 06:48 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by e6tony
OI 40 IS YOUNG PMSL
They say you are as young as you feel so I`am very young but mind you putting this post up must make me sound like Victor Meldrew so perhaps I`m not.
Old 05 July 2009, 06:59 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Simon, I can never understand who in their right mind would want to be a policeman.
But why they make matters worse for themselves by being 'pigs' is again beyond me. Perhaps when you are constantly abused and disliked, eventually you get to treat everyone you meet in the same way.

Like the incident you describe, most of my dealings with the police have been because I have been a naughty boy to some extent or other, and have encountered the bully boy 'pig', but have also met some genuine good blokes, that are fair, polite, just doing their job.

Anyway understand what you mean, but don't envy them there job one bit.

(and before anyone asks, I was not referring to Ed in either of the descriptions!)
Old 05 July 2009, 07:13 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pcso = nuff said. wanna be propper coppers but not been able to get in yet. bugger all poower in truth but they like to think they have.
Old 05 July 2009, 07:13 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Old 05 July 2009, 07:26 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Simon, I can never understand who in their right mind would want to be a policeman.
But why they make matters worse for themselves by being 'pigs' is again beyond me. Perhaps when you are constantly abused and disliked, eventually you get to treat everyone you meet in the same way.

Like the incident you describe, most of my dealings with the police have been because I have been a naughty boy to some extent or other, and have encountered the bully boy 'pig', but have also met some genuine good blokes, that are fair, polite, just doing their job.

Anyway understand what you mean, but don't envy them there job one bit.

(and before anyone asks, I was not referring to Ed in either of the descriptions!)
Glad you can see what I`m saying.
And it`s not just me being anti police.
Old 05 July 2009, 07:31 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

I went to Romford last Thursday to have a curry and pint with my brothers. We meet maybe twice a year, and at other times I try to avoid Romford if I can. Anyways, I go back to my car which is parked at the Brewery multi-storey, get in it and drive down the ramp to the exit. The barrier opens and I pull out to the right and up to a mini roundabout about 50 metres away. As I pull out of the car park, a Volvo Police car (which is parked outside the Liquid nightclub) REVERSES across the roundabout, effectively blocking my way. Now, I am a little confused and concerned about why the Police are doing this so I stop at the roundabout. After about 5 seconds, the driver motions me to pass. I pull onto the roundabout heading right and get about 20 metres down the road when I hear a screeching behind me and see the police car coming after me with his blues and twos on. I pull up at the side of the road, turn my car off and step out before the police have stopped. The young copper gets out of the passenger side, approaches me and say "do you know why we are stopping you",
I say "Im not too sure" and so he replies "You were driving down the road really fast, and only just had time to stop before hitting us on the roundabout" - WTF!!

I really didn't want to get into a row, so I bit my tongue.

He the says " Your exhaust is very loud sir" (I have a 2 1/2" H&S) " I'm not sure if it is road legal".
He the askes if I have been drinking, so I tell him I have had one pint, at which he nearly wets himself with excitement at the prospect of booking a drunken boy racer.
As he is fumbling about trying to get the blow tube out of the packet, he realises the Breath testers battries have run out so he asks the driver for advice.
The driver gets out has a look at the machine and says to me "Tonight is your lucky night mate, you have a nice sounding car, but keep the speed for the race track."

I couldn't have got past 20 MPH in the short distance from the barrier to the roundabout, and then to have the police position themselves in such a way to cause trouble, really p!$$ed me off.

I know they had nothing on me, but if you answer back, they will do their best to find something to shaft you.

Sorry about the long post.

Andy
Old 05 July 2009, 07:43 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Warming up now!

My business is in a rural location and when we have been broken into mostly on a weekend. The police turn up sometime in the week. Explaining there is one officer covering most of Herts.
We occasionaly go for a meal, Flics or bowling on a saturday night in the centre of stevenage where all night there is about 5-10 police present all evening winding up and arresting the drunks WHY!
Old 05 July 2009, 08:49 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

Something about in there shoes,
You get bad apples in all sorts of careers and life,
And unfortunately 1 person can represent an organisation,

Eg if attended badly at Mc Donalds by a member of staff, you would initially say aw that Mc Ds in Romford is Terrible, However its not the case, its the person,
I know where your coming from,

Volvo police car in Romford,?? Marked or unmarked?
Old 05 July 2009, 09:08 PM
lollyMccray
Scooby Regular

Hi Arkwright that was my hubby and i that was parked in front of you and had to move after being told off
Old 05 July 2009, 09:23 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arkwright
Warming up now!

My business is in a rural location and when we have been broken into mostly on a weekend. The police turn up sometime in the week. Explaining there is one officer covering most of Herts.
We occasionaly go for a meal, Flics or bowling on a saturday night in the centre of stevenage where all night there is about 5-10 police present all evening winding up and arresting the drunks WHY!
I normally avoid these threads, as it normally not worth posting up, but seeing as you've asked I will respond on this one occasion.

You, yourself state
My business is in a rural location
. Therefore, realistically, would you expect Herts Police to post a car in that area just in case something may happen? Or would you expect them to direct there resources to a busy town centre when the likelyhood of something happening (i.e drunken behaviour, assaults etc etc??) was quite high?

It is unfortunate that you have been the victim of crime, but there is more chance of someone being arrested retrospectively for burglary as the result of forensic evidence (i.e fingerprints & DNA) then there is in the commission of an assault.

As for winding drunks up?? Believe me, they don't need winding up, the Stella does that very well

HTH

Oh, and BTW, it seems you have issues with Essex & Herts and NOT the Met
Old 05 July 2009, 09:32 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

The met are JUST as bad.
Old 05 July 2009, 09:41 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
The met are JUST as bad.
I seem to remember an old boy who lived near the workshop ranting on that he was going to call the Police. I don't think he would have complained about the amount of time it would have taken them to turn up
Old 05 July 2009, 09:43 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i had a car pull out of a roundabout right in front of me the other day, my right of way and it nearly caused an accident. i shout a little bit because my kids were in the car, then the car procceds to come back round the roundabout and follow me. few seconds later theres some blue flashing lights, i pull over and realise they were plain clothes policeman. wait ages for them to get their jackets and that out, then i get do you know what we've pulled you over for sir.me still wound up reply, to apoligize for nearly causing an accident. the young policeman gets grumpy quite quickly and tells me i was speeding, not paying attention and that i have a bad attitude. when i tell him the attitude is because my kids are in the car and i don't speed at all when their in there he called me a liar. anyway in the end he gave me a warning and told me to be carteful as other officers would have done me for driving without due care and attention. really felt like smacking him one, but i find most younger hitlers are jumped up little ****s nowadays that just want to wind you up to get an arrest. maybe the station are handing out free gifts for the most arrests nowadays. rant over and sorry for the long winded story
Old 05 July 2009, 09:56 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

MPS policing pledge working then,
I cant comment Re Essex too much, Herts havent a clue,

Its just the individuals,
#
Old 05 July 2009, 10:39 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Oh, and BTW, it seems you have issues with Essex & Herts and NOT the Met [/quote]

Who mentioned the Met?
There is a serious rural crime problem going on and as a rural watch member I have a police pager and 2 different police text message sytems keeping me informed.
And the thiefs are well aware the police are down the town centres notching up there arrest statistics by winding up the drunks.
Rather than facing upto large criminals stone cold sober without 5 other officers to back them up in case he`s a bit strong. IMHO
Old 06 July 2009, 01:02 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Would this extend to a Policeman(or woman's) own personal car being parked on a pavement?

The reason I ask, is that the 'Police Hut' situated down by the Kursaal usually has a policeman (or woman) manning (or womanning) it, now .......

They drive over the kerb (which isn't dropped) to park alongside the Police Hut

I have thought on numerous occasions to take a pic and send it into the Echo
Old 06 July 2009, 06:52 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Volvo police car in Romford,?? Marked or unmarked?
Marked car, spread across a roundabout after an illegal manouver
Old 06 July 2009, 07:25 AM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

Can be allowed if a PSV police ambulance or Fire can be excempt whilst acting in a course of there duty , Also a Borough works vehicle , maintanance Vehicle, Too long to list,
You can also go into all sorts of extremes in this Topic,
Old 06 July 2009, 09:50 AM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lollyMccray
Hi Arkwright that was my hubby and i that was parked in front of you and had to move after being told off
Hi I wondered whose scoob it was that led me into trouble, I was only doing my sheep thing and following the flock. LOL
Did`nt get to speak to you or anyone down the seafront only Georgem who said "is that copper looking at your car."
Were they sarcastic to you or had they used up the sarcasm by the time you came over?
Maybe get to meet you another time and I`m not going to park where you do next time. LOL
Old 06 July 2009, 09:57 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Knowing Ark as well as I do (20 years together) it takes a lot to get him even slightly wound up.

I understand the police have a very difficult job to do & I wouldn't swap for anything, however, how & why do they seem to think it is okay to speak to people the way they do. I also realise, as with everything, that not all members of the police force are like this, but there seems to be an increasing number that are.

I have worked in customer service for many years, and althought the customer is not always right, they are always the customer, and deserve a minimum level of respect. The same applies here.

If Ark had approached the car shouting 'what's the f**king problem' you would expect the police to respond, however where was the harm in them just saying as he approached the car
'is this your car sir? The charity walk is heading this way, please could you move it?'
Clearly too difficult for some jumped up twerp in a uniform - oh the power!!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of witt - what does that say about these officers (oh and for the record I don't think they were specials, but regular officers!)

What really gets us annoyed is the total lack of police in our area - regularly we or friends / customers have had thefts and all the police are interested in is issuing a crime number for your insurance.

With regard to recovering stolen goods the police have been next to useless; we had one WPC come out to our Plant & Tool Hire company to take a statement & her opening comment (after walking through the workshop) was 'what plants do you hire'. I had to stop Ark walking out there & then....

Hence Ark's ever increasing disillusionment of the British Police force....can you blame him?

and breathe....
Old 06 July 2009, 10:12 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adidas
I seem to remember an old boy who lived near the workshop ranting on that he was going to call the Police. I don't think he would have complained about the amount of time it would have taken them to turn up
No i agree, they would have (in fact they were) been there before he picked the phone up. Altho im sure someone superiors would NOT have approved of officer's being with Drug dealers.
Old 06 July 2009, 10:25 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

This is the very problem with the Police. The majority of them these days have dreadful attitudes and speak to everyone like they are dirt. Then they moan about how the public treat and percieve them.

If the police started being polite and courteous instead o being arrogant upstarts then things may just begin to change for them.

The decent polite courteous down to earth copper is very much in the minority these days.

All these two muppets had to do was explain the situation about the charity walk and ask to OP to move his car politely. He simply would have done as asked and wouldnt have been thinking what a pair of aresholes.

Now surely its not too difficult for them to start being a bit more polite instead of immediatley putting people's backs up by being authoritarian smart *****.
Old 06 July 2009, 10:34 AM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
This is the very problem with the Police. The majority of them these days have dreadful attitudes and speak to everyone like they are dirt. Then they moan about how the public treat and percieve them.

If the police started being polite and courteous instead o being arrogant upstarts then things may just begin to change for them.

The decent polite courteous down to earth copper is very much in the minority these days.

All these two muppets had to do was explain the situation about the charity walk and ask to OP to move his car politely. He simply would have done as asked and wouldnt have been thinking what a pair of aresholes

Now surely its not too difficult for them to start being a bit more polite instead of immediatley putting people's backs up by being authoritarian smart *****.
Respect to you for hitting the nail right on the head
I`m beginning to realise it`s not just the chip on my shoulder from past experiences Thanks
Old 06 July 2009, 10:37 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair the only time I've had attitude from a member of the Police Force is when I've done something incredibly stupid that I shouldn't have been doing, then tried to wriggle out of it. Which was only once. Other than that all the PC / WPC I've come into contact with have been very polite.

But I know people that have had grief from PCSO. Think it may be because they're treated badly by the public because of not being a full PC / WPC. I'm sure most of the people that have commented would have a grumpy attitude for working Chavend Seafront on a Saturday night when it's that busy.

Quick Reply: Winds me up