Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Removing ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2009, 05:58 PM
V7 SYN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing ABS

What would I need to do if I wanted to remove my ABS.
Old 02 July 2009, 06:13 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afaik easiest way is to buy a brake setup from non abs model such as a ra. The whole chebang.
Old 02 July 2009, 06:15 PM
Git_
Scooby Newbie

an even easier way would be to disconnect one of the sensors, however your abs light would be on.
Old 02 July 2009, 06:27 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Git_
an even easier way would be to disconnect one of the sensors, however your abs light would be on.
remove the bulb
Old 02 July 2009, 06:51 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Take the fuse out
Old 02 July 2009, 06:58 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Why would you want to?
Old 02 July 2009, 07:54 PM
V7 SYN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Why would you want to?
Because since I've fitted the new brakes, it seems that the ABS comes in to early.
Old 02 July 2009, 08:32 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Seriously, by taking the fuse out, it turns the ABS off .

Makes braking in the snow and ice a lot safer
Old 02 July 2009, 08:37 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nate

Makes braking in the snow and ice a lot safer
Got to say I disagree. If anything it helps in the warmer weather.

I've been fortunate to drive a car that had switchable ABS, and having driven on various road surfaces/driving conditions, I'd rather have it switched on then off.

All IMHO of course
Old 02 July 2009, 08:43 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Adidas

I've been fortunate to drive a car that had switchable ABS,
Me too

Originally Posted by Adidas
and having driven on various road surfaces/driving conditions, I'd rather have it switched on then off.

All IMHO of course

On a track having no ABS is fine as you are expecting the brakes to be locking, on a road there's no way that you are driving to the same level. I'd try and sort the ABS rather than disable it.

Remember if you DO disable the ABS you MUST tell your insurers.
Old 02 July 2009, 09:06 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Remember if you DO disable the ABS you MUST tell your insurers.
Good point Chris & as it is tampering with a OE safety feature most insurers will probably disown you.

I have heard the same when people take side impact air bag equipped seats out & fit fancy buckets & harnesses.
Old 02 July 2009, 09:23 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Obviously then ...... If the fuse were to blow ..............
Old 02 July 2009, 09:35 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sets me thinking.

Quick get a link up to that blown fuse I have just put on fleabay.

Only a fiver.
Old 02 July 2009, 09:48 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

then your ABS warning light would come on...

If you are involved in a serious accident then the police will inspect your car with a fine tooth comb, it just isn't worth it.

My sister has just been involved in a fatal accident. She was hit head on by a driver who had lost control and was on her side of the road. Thankfully she is ok but the driver of the offending vehicle died at the scene.

She was driving a 1.7 Diesel (not even turbo) POLO. She wasn't to blame and yet the police inspected her car and in particular her brakes in fine detail.

I think it's a daft idea mate, sorry.
Old 02 July 2009, 10:05 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry to hear about your sister Chris.

And all joking apart it isn't realy a joking matter when you think of things like that which can & do happen.
Old 02 July 2009, 10:11 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
Sorry to hear about your sister Chris.
Thanks, it's been a crap month. Turn self employed then immediately have a month off sick, my eye causing me major pain and then having to deal with my little sister.

Things can only get better.
Old 03 July 2009, 07:57 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that chris, sounds an awful thing to happen.

Having had a couple of cars that DONT come with ABS i would say get the issue sorted, have had incidents in BOTH of them that if ABS was fitted it would have been easily avoided.

First incident was the TVR, down a slightly damp multi story car park ramp. at around 5mph the wheels lock and slid to the bottom of the ramp and hit the kerb. £400 repair.
Second was the Noble, Luckily i never hit them but did come VERY close, someone decided to pull out in front of me @40 mph from a right turn lane that was behind chevron's, if ABS fitted i would have stopped very easily as once the wheels were locked i COULDNT back off or i would have hit them.
Old 03 July 2009, 08:05 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57

Having had a couple of cars that DONT come with ABS i would say get the issue sorted, have had incidents in BOTH of them that if ABS was fitted it would have been easily avoided.

First incident was the TVR, down a slightly damp multi story car park ramp. at around 5mph the wheels lock and slid to the bottom of the ramp and hit the kerb. £400 repair.
Second was the Noble, Luckily i never hit them but did come VERY close, someone decided to pull out in front of me @40 mph from a right turn lane that was behind chevron's, if ABS fitted i would have stopped very easily as once the wheels were locked i COULDNT back off or i would have hit them.
Hi you ABS wouldnt have helped in the 1st instance as ABS doesnt kick in till above 30mph,
I know whats being said about safety but the subaru ABS does tend to take tome stick, I hate it on my latest STI but didnt have it on my old WRX and never had any problems keeping the car under control, I was I had the same confidence driving the car with ABS.
Old 03 July 2009, 09:56 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good braking technique is a compromise between the two following factors :

•If you have locked your front wheels, you lose steering control

•The point of maximum deceleration is just before the point of wheel lock

In many real world conditions ABS prevents wheels from locking and also slows you down quicker than any manual braking technique, especially on wet or slippery roads.

If you are skilled & have the ***** Cadence braking is for very low grip surfaces such as an icy road - essentially applying and releasing the brakes rhythmically in order to get a compromise between steering and braking performance. As you apply the brakes, the wheels will tend to lock up, slowing the car but preventing you from steering. As you release the brakes you regain steering control and can keep the car pointing in the right direction.

The ***** bit comes when you are approaching a large immovable object with your non ABS brakes locked up & you are supposed to release & then reapply your brakes. Your self preservation instinct will usually keep your foot planted to the floor.
Old 03 July 2009, 10:01 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
The ***** bit comes when you are approaching a large immovable object with your non ABS brakes locked up & you are supposed to release & then reapply your brakes. Your self preservation instinct will usually keep your foot planted to the floor.
and for a real world example.... just look at the skid marks up and down the motorways..... clearly locked up in a straight line until the point of impact
Old 03 July 2009, 10:13 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

and for a real world example.... just look at the skid marks up and down the motorways..... clearly locked up in a straight line until the point of impact
You are right there Chris. Every one tells a story & when you see the angle that some are heading you wonder what the outcome was.

Having said that I saw some interesting tyre marks going round Snetterton & they weren't just from the drifters.
Old 03 July 2009, 10:19 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Hi you ABS wouldnt have helped in the 1st instance as ABS doesnt kick in till above 30mph,
I know whats being said about safety but the subaru ABS does tend to take tome stick, I hate it on my latest STI but didnt have it on my old WRX and never had any problems keeping the car under control, I was I had the same confidence driving the car with ABS.
I was following the TVR at the time of the incident in my STi, my wheels didn't lock and I managed to negotiate the bend.

I prefer driving cars with ABS. My Ford Ranger doesn't have ABS and locks up so easily, especially in the wet, can be a real nightmare at times!
Old 03 July 2009, 10:25 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your sister Chris. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Re disconnecting a sensor or taking the fuse out, depending on the type of system in the car, these can both cause the calipers to lock on and not release. Yes a quick way of disconnecting the abs, but can result in a much worse scenario. I hate abs when driving hard. It nearly always cuts in too early but it is there for safety reasons. One reason I loved my ra was the more raw nature of the car with the lack of abs. But with family man hat on I'd rather have it.

Try fitting a brake bias valve instead. Sounds like there's too much braking going on at the front and not enough at the back so the abs is cutting in. Have you changed the rear discs and pads to a compound the same as the fronts? this will also help to even things out a bit.
Old 03 July 2009, 08:49 PM
V7 SYN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
Sorry to hear about your sister Chris. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Re disconnecting a sensor or taking the fuse out, depending on the type of system in the car, these can both cause the calipers to lock on and not release. Yes a quick way of disconnecting the abs, but can result in a much worse scenario. I hate abs when driving hard. It nearly always cuts in too early but it is there for safety reasons. One reason I loved my ra was the more raw nature of the car with the lack of abs. But with family man hat on I'd rather have it.

Try fitting a brake bias valve instead. Sounds like there's too much braking going on at the front and not enough at the back so the abs is cutting in. Have you changed the rear discs and pads to a compound the same as the fronts? this will also help to even things out a bit.
Not yet, working on that at the moment. The brake bias system is the way to go I think. I'll have to look into it I think.