Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Insurance Co wont pay out - what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2009, 02:20 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Insurance Co wont pay out - what do I do?

OK - other than scream obscenaties LOL - what should be our next step.....

We have traders insurance, and are registered with insurance company as part time traders. Obviously the scoob was in an accident some 5 weeks ago and after chasing the insurance co (almost daily) for updates etc - I have today been informed that they wont pay out because the scoob is modded!!!!

I've argued with them that had I of been told that i'd never of taken the policy out as I'm fully aware that its modded

Took the policy out in january 2008 - even renewed it in Jan this year.

Don't know who to go to - I've paid for a policy that i now deem as being mis-sold. I was straight with them from the start, declared points, mods, cars and my "involvement" in the motor industry.

He has advised me today that whilst they cover modded cars - they only cover them 3rd party - so we wont receive a penny for the scoob - but the car that hit US - will!!! How is that fair??

HELP!!
Old 08 June 2009, 02:26 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Awaits milamber. prob the best option TBH.
Old 08 June 2009, 02:48 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I'm still thinking.....
Old 08 June 2009, 03:09 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

milking it again?
Old 08 June 2009, 03:17 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has it been put down to your fault then or 50 / 50?

Waiting to see what Milamber says.
Old 08 June 2009, 03:17 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Well insurance is completely geared in favour of the insueres. You HAVE to tell them absolutely everything.

'uberrima fides' - utmost good faith. If you don't they won't pay out. If you claim they WILL try and get out of it.

BUT it sounds like they HAVE disclosed everything....

So it will come down to the wording of the policy, check it very very carefully. As far as I am aware, traders policies only ever pay out 3rd party. What does your policy say?
Old 08 June 2009, 03:58 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

OK. We took the policy out in about jan 08 (as i said) we had the scoob then so i would've disclosed everything. When we renewed i found a better quote & policy with someone else. I called back to Unicom (my insurers) and explained i had found a better quote AND policy entitlements etc. The girl i spoke to back in january (after telling her all of what the other policy offered) told me they could match "like for like" - so i stayed with them. I update our system EVERY TIME i get a new car or indeed sell one on.
when i took policy out originally i explained that i was not a full time trader and DID not have a car front etc. I advised them that i obtained cars through e-bay and 9 times out of 10 they were obtained as a "swap".
It is proven without doubt that i have met the required amount of vehicle "turnover".
When i put the claim in, once again i had to explain (because they asked for proof) that i did not do this as way to make a living - it was purely a "sideline". I explained AGAIN how i obtained the cars and that they weren't often sold or bought for cash. - this was the first problem as they wanted PROOF that i had sold these cars on. I faxed them acknowledgement letters from DVLA to show that these cars had been registered to me - but apparently that wasn't good enough.
Then he called me back to say that they wouldn't pay out because they only cover modified cars on a third party basis. I have checked my policy details - have double checked the exclusions and i cannot find anything to outline that!!
My Key facts clearly states the i am Comprehensive. I have checked the "SIGNIFICANT EXLUSIONS" sections which again does not mention about modded cars.
In a nut shell there is no way i would've taken and paid for this policy if i knew my car was at risk of not being covered. I know for fact that i disclose EVERYTHING, even listed the mods the car had when taking the policy out. I beleive i have been mis-sold this policy and have kept to my payments, commitments and managed my account properly but beleive that they have failed to hold up their end of service

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2009, 07:06 PM
customdanioc
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I may have missed some developments since said incident.....but I thought it was not your fault and therefore would be claiming from the insurers of the vehicle responsible ??
Old 08 June 2009, 07:51 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Traders polices are so complex!
Old 08 June 2009, 08:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EmEm
Traders polices are so complex!
More like a pain in the ****!!!
Old 08 June 2009, 08:42 PM
ScoobyMaz
Scooby Regular

Tell them that you will be speaking to the insurance ombudsman and putting your case forward. They oversee all insurance companies and will investigate. That sometimes help pursuade some companies to re-think their decision.
Old 08 June 2009, 09:30 PM
customdanioc
Scooby Regular

I also thought traders policies only paid out Trade value...which is pants
Old 08 June 2009, 10:12 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

1. Find out exactly why they have refused to pay out

2. Check very very very carefully the policy to see if it matches up.

3. Look at the paperwork you completed when you took the policy out

I'm convinced that this is something that hasn't been disclosed to them, no matter how trivial you may have thought it was. You may have told them what you wanted and then not paid attention to what you signed but it is your responsibility to check it before you take the policy out.

Did you use a broker? they may be able to help you.

Last edited by Milamber; 08 June 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08 June 2009, 10:31 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyMaz
Tell them that you will be speaking to the insurance ombudsman and putting your case forward. They oversee all insurance companies and will investigate. That sometimes help pursuade some companies to re-think their decision.
We've taken that route with my stepsons's accident last year and it's being reviewed
Old 09 June 2009, 08:23 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

The broker is Unicom - thats who i'm dealing with tbh. The insurance in underwritten by Tradewise.
I spoke to trading standards yesterday who were V. helpful.
Scoobymaz: - I did already try that line - also included the FSA and finanacial ombudsman - but will get in touch with the Insurance ombudsman today
Milamber: - They have refused to pay out because they have now told me that whilst they DO cover modded cars - they only cover them 3rd party. If i'd of known that, i'd never of taken the policy out in 2008 - let alone renewed in jan this year. I disclosed the mods the scoob had. Because i knew from experience about "non-disclosure".
I have checked ALL the paperwork I have - have read and re-read and I cannot find anything to back up what they're saying. I spoke to the Manager of Unicom yesterday who has told me that there is a policy book - which it seems I do not have? (but you can bet your ***** to a barndance it's gonna be in there).
I feel i was up front with and DID disclose the mods - i even called them up to check on the Jap cover i had when we got the evo (and they can clearly note that). I feel i have been mis-sold the policy. I even found a better policy in January which sang and danced and was woven with gold LMAO - but chose to stay with Unicom as the said they would match "like for like" once i told them all the benefits of it (thinki may've even e-mailed it to them - must check that).
And finally I didn't complete ANY documentation when taking this policy out - the only thing i signed and sent back was the finance bit because i pay in installments!
Dan: Its deemed our fault because they hit us from the right on a roundabout (and we should've given way) - never mind the fact that he'd cut across the roundabout and that we were already ON the roundabout.
Now I need to find a new policy as its pretty pointless having this one as it basically covers us to drive on the road but it has NO benefits whatsoever and clearly doesn't cover the type of vehicles we have
Old 09 June 2009, 09:33 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

My dad had a similar problem with Highway, he wrote letters to them, advising he would go to the press, write to the investors and I also registered a domain highwaywontpaymyclaim.com (I know it's long .... But I believe it helped).

He put in a letter that he would be going to the press to get all other people out in the open that the insurance company was also trampling over, 1 person fighting an insurance company or 1,000 people and press fighting an insurance company, which is stronger

After they recieved his letters (each time, letters were sent to different people and levels of Highway), they wrote back apologising on how he had been treated and paid up (not in full, but close). Considering they were not going to pay at all, I think it was good going.

The annoying thing about all this is that insurance companies seem to always assume you are making your claim up or put hurdles in the way.

I also had a similar event in my Pajero ..... I refer you to my thread at the time :-

https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-...sure-asda.html
Old 09 June 2009, 09:36 AM
xkellyx
Scooby Regular

I really feel for you hun, hope you manage to get it sorted out