Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Speed camera detector

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 10:54 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed camera detector

As above what's a good one? Always heard that the road angel was a good one. or would i be better selling the sat nav i have an buying one that has the cameras etc already programmed in?

tbh it'd only be when i was travelling on roads that i don't know that i'd need it. i know the speed limits on the roads that i use every day so would only be when venturing out on an inpromptu drive / road trip and the summer day trips that it would be handy.
Old 19 December 2008, 10:58 AM
pezzza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just prog cameras into **** nav?
Old 19 December 2008, 10:59 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I've always found my road angel to be much better than tomtom with the speed cameras added.

See if you can pick up a classic road angel cheap, that's all you need mate.
Old 19 December 2008, 11:15 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Matt,

You sure that heavy old beemer can go over the speed limit

I have always meant to get a detector as well just never got round to it either

Matt, there are refurbished ones on Ebay for £60, comes with 6 months warranty and 3 months subscription:

New Road Angel Camera Detector GPS LASER NRA2 WARRANTY on eBay, also Radar Laser Detectors, Security Electrical, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 21-Dec-08 21:15:00 GMT)

I'm just about to order one

Last edited by Diesel_DC; 19 December 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 19 December 2008, 11:38 AM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

3yrs ago I got done by a mobile camera van on a bridge and got my first ever points on a 33 yr clean licence and I swore that woudn't ever happen again... so I did a lot of research and finally went for the Road Angel and I've never regretted it for a second.... has saved my licence on more than one occasion since thern (that's Scoobies for you!)... lol

The latest version is colour, does everything but make the tea and is well worth it IMHO....

You won't regret it....
Old 19 December 2008, 03:49 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Matt ive got a Classic road Angel if you want one?
Old 19 December 2008, 04:15 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Origin B2 has served me well over the years.

You get a laser detector attachment with it and a radar attachment can be bought seperately, however, I removed the laser detector as generally if the thing picks up a laser, you've already been zapped and they already have your speed. Unless you're going to fit an illegal jammer I don't really see the point.

Other than that, the GPS based camera alert has been superb. I have travelled far and wide (as far as Lake district and Scotland) and has never missed a camera yet. Just make sure you keep it up to date with the latest updates via the software that comes with it to keep track with temporary cameras in roadworks etc.

It's small enough to detach from the cradle and carry in your pocket too. Another big selling point for me.

Edited to add....their new one is out now called the Pogo but it looks pretty good, all colour screen etc.

Last edited by SirFozzalot; 19 December 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 19 December 2008, 04:18 PM
Mark_B4
Scooby Regular

I've got a Road Angel plus, and the New Road Angel Professional, both are very good, Road Angel Pro is better due to the screen being clearer (Colour)

Had a snooper in the pased that was pretty good to
Old 19 December 2008, 04:25 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I had the Snooper S6 GPS-Neo which was spot on, though very bulky
Old 19 December 2008, 04:43 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
My Origin B2 has served me well over the years.
Same here, still got 2 years subscription left on it although i've started to use my sat nav more now with the speed camera POI's from pocketgpsworld
Old 19 December 2008, 10:35 PM
wimpy
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the micro fuzion. I payed £99 for mine with free life time updates. Picks up fixed cameras possible mobile camera sites and you can add user points as well if you discover a new site inbetween updates.

Fantastic bit of kit.

Iain
Old 20 December 2008, 04:07 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Granby
i've started to use my sat nav more now with the speed camera POI's from pocketgpsworld
I've used this site for years now and for £19 it's a steal
Hence the Road Angel gathers dust
Old 20 December 2008, 07:45 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Supercue
I've used this site for years now and for £19 it's a steal
Hence the Road Angel gathers dust
Only cost me £19 once, i now have free lifetime membership
Old 21 December 2008, 09:43 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Its important to understand those devices above are not detectors, they simply alert you to a pre-programmed location using GPS. They could equally be warning you of McDonalds

One of the most highly rated detectors is the Valentine One and will actually detect the speed trap, mobile van, police on a bridge, automatic opening doors etc way in advance.

I have a Bel 550 which served me very well for years before switching to GPS. I now tend to rely on my TomTom with up to date camera databases, the important thing to remember is GPS devices are only as good as the database and will never detect mobile radar vans and hand held units (some GPS have laser add-ons)

A point to note is that detectors are potentially on dodgy legal ground since you are intercepting and acting on 'police signals'. Many European countries have heavy penaulties for carrying such equipment.

Originally Posted by Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Radar detectors are illegal in France whether in use or not. If you are caught with such equipment in your vehicle, you are liable to a fine, confiscation of the device and the vehicle. You should therefore ensure radar detectors are removed from your vehicle before commencing any journey to France.
Originally Posted by French Embassy
Under articles L413-2 and R413-15 of the French 'Code de la Route' (highway code), it is strictly forbidden to have such devices in cars in France, regardless of whether or not they are in use. Penalties can include fines of up to €3,000, confiscation of the device and of the vehicle.

This legislation does not apply to satellite navigation systems (SatNav or GPS). These can tell motorists only the location of fixed speed cameras, data which is already in the public domain.