Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Car stolen by car washer and trashed

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 10:03 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car stolen by car washer and trashed

Have already put thread on main SN forum - took car to hand car wash today then went to work less than 50 yds away - 2 hrs later a police officer (very nice guy - ex scooby owner himself ) came to tell me that one of the washers had decided to take my car for a spin and crash it into a concrete post and metal barrier.

Amazingly and fortunately no-one else was hit or injured, neither was the driver. I didn't get to see the car before it was towed away but from the pictures it looks a total write-off. Of course he had no insurance.

Insurance company said I should go to car cleaning company to see whether they have insurance - doubt that very much as just a few Asian guys operating on garage forecourt - BP garage in Waltham Abbey - be warned!

Anyway what I was wondering was - would anyone from here be prepared to advise me/ maybe come with me when I look for replacement scooby, which I definately will if and when insurance is sorted. Because I am pretty useless and want to get the right one
Old 05 November 2008, 10:13 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is really bad luck. I wish you well in any claim against them
Old 05 November 2008, 10:42 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Unhappy

So sorry to hear about this Lorraine.

What with your other trouble I will give Waltham Abbey a wide berth.

In a way it may be a blessing that the car is written off as you probably wouldn't want it back. There is no telling how much abuse the engine/gearbox etc were given.

Mark
Old 05 November 2008, 10:50 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I take it this is one of those places that you leave the keys and they move the cars around after they've washed them.
You might be lucky, a surprising amount of them do actually have insurance. Whether they're insured for driving your car on the road like this though is another matter.
Fingers crossed for you
Old 05 November 2008, 11:00 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
I take it this is one of those places that you leave the keys and they move the cars around after they've washed them.
You might be lucky, a surprising amount of them do actually have insurance. Whether they're insured for driving your car on the road like this though is another matter.
Fingers crossed for you
Going to call in there tomorrow morning to find out........
Either way the guy has been charged with TWOC, dangerous driving, and driving without insurance.
Old 05 November 2008, 11:02 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

this is disgusting and i hope they shut the fookin place down....
scum like this need a damn good kicking !!!!
other than that i'm lost for words....
Old 06 November 2008, 01:00 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Is that the BP opposite the Abbey Taverner?

I've never used it, but my Cousin does
Old 06 November 2008, 05:13 AM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

W NKERS!!! I know a few people who have had trouble at hand carwashes,would advise people not to use the dam things
Old 06 November 2008, 08:53 AM
MadOli
Scooby Regular

Location: No more pretending... I'm in a Scoob - yippeee!!! :D

OMG I would go soooo mad at them, give them hell! Good luck getting a new car sorted
Old 06 November 2008, 09:08 AM
lianneWRX
Scooby Regular

Oh my god thats really bad! Im gutted for you!

good luck on the car hunt! x
Old 06 November 2008, 11:01 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

bloomin heck!! thieving little scum bags!!
Keep us posted on the insurance side of things - gonna be a real pain in the neck if they don't have insurance against this type of "incident"

As for getting another one - i guess it comes down to what you want from a scoob? another blank canvas or something already "done"
Old 06 November 2008, 12:25 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Old 06 November 2008, 12:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that any garage or place of business should have some kind of insurance.

Definately look at this.

If they are subleasing from a garage owner or land owner then there may be some insurances they have you can claim against.

Best of luck.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:47 PM
pezzza
Scooby Regular

Would never trust anyone with my car keys, come to think of it, would never trust anyone to wash my car either!

Hope you get this sorted out, and get another scoob soon.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:52 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
I would have thought that any garage or place of business should have some kind of insurance.

Definately look at this.

If they are subleasing from a garage owner or land owner then there may be some insurances they have you can claim against.

Best of luck.
this is a valid point ...

milamber might be able to advise you on this if your insurance co are being a bit vague Lorraine.
Old 06 November 2008, 03:04 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Hope you managed to get this sorted.

Dispited having a form of insurance when i'm detailing vehicles i never move the cars myself unless it can be totally avoided it's just not worth it. Sue their asses off i say.

Perhaps i should start offering a very basic "clean" at home for a similar price to the so called "quality hand car washes" that people think are better than a mechanical car wash. Then the owner won't need to leave the car anywhere, can see it all the time and even hang onto the keys if they wish.
Old 06 November 2008, 04:01 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame

Perhaps i should start offering a very basic "clean" at home for a similar price to the so called "quality hand car washes" that people think are better than a mechanical car wash. Then the owner won't need to leave the car anywhere, can see it all the time and even hang onto the keys if they wish.
Now I'm liking that idea
Old 06 November 2008, 06:23 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

me and scoobdc use the camaroon footie team down at the post house hotel carpark in brentwood.

they drive customers cars about within the grounds and do a superb job for £7.00, they are chatty and i always keep my keys in my pocket and move it for them, when asked. - (they wouldn't be able to start it with my immobiliser and stuff anyway
Dave has even introduced them to the fine art of cleaning the exhaust and an extra special front wheel bufty !!!!

top blokes down there !!!
Old 06 November 2008, 06:35 PM
scoobybrad
Scooby Regular

Was your car taken to boyton motors in waltham cross? I saw a blue newage there with the front smashed up. I was looking to see if my car had been picked up by the insurance company and yours was in its place. Really sorry to here bout this people really have got no respect, hope you can sue them for everything you can.
Old 06 November 2008, 07:09 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
me and scoobdc use the camaroon footie team down at the post house hotel carpark in brentwood.

they drive customers cars about within the grounds and do a superb job for £7.00, they are chatty and i always keep my keys in my pocket and move it for them, when asked. - (they wouldn't be able to start it with my immobiliser and stuff anyway
Dave has even introduced them to the fine art of cleaning the exhaust and an extra special front wheel bufty !!!!

top blokes down there !!!
Yeah, they are top blokes and do a good job, but they only charge me £6
Old 06 November 2008, 08:21 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

im so sorry to hear about your car,i hope it works out for you in the end.
Old 06 November 2008, 09:19 PM
lollyMccray
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear you bad news i hope you get it all sorted soon
Old 07 November 2008, 12:08 AM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by scoobybrad
Was your car taken to boyton motors in waltham cross? I saw a blue newage there with the front smashed up. I was looking to see if my car had been picked up by the insurance company and yours was in its place. Really sorry to here bout this people really have got no respect, hope you can sue them for everything you can.
Yes that's mine in Waltham Cross; going to go there Saturday to see if they'll let me get some personal stuff out of the car.

I have had a right slating from some of the main forum about leaving my car there; point taken of course but some of then are so up themselves!

Anyway the update is that the owner of the garage forecourt from whom the car wash area is rented (yes BP garage opposite Taverna) is away at the moment, apparently back Monday; I saw his wife who doesn't know about the insurance but thinks there might be some........so will have to wait till after weekend to find out.
I have spoken to Milamber today (thank you); my best bet is obviously to hope that they do have insurance to claim from; but if not there should be no problem with my insurance paying out, even tho i did leave the keys with them.
Someone on main forum mentioned going to local press to name and shame them - seems like not a bad idea? Any thoughts?
Old 07 November 2008, 08:51 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Before you start naming and shaming I would concentrate on getting the insurance sorted out.

Obviously your totally in your rights to do it but surely a reasonably smooth claim is better, then you can make it known what happened once you are paid out etc...

Sounds a bit harsh if your getting slated for leaving the car there IMO, why wouldn't you trust somewhere like that I have left my car at the one in Brentwood many times with no concerns and still will continue to.

More than happy to point a few replacements your way when your looking again as well

David