Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Donington gets British GP from 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2008, 01:38 PM
NickBes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donington gets British GP from 2010

Donington gets British GP from 2010 - F1 | ITV Sport
Old 04 July 2008, 01:54 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should make for either some very interesting racing or even more boring than normal.
Old 04 July 2008, 01:55 PM
NickBes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
should make for either some very interesting racing or even more boring than normal.
not a fan then Matt
Old 04 July 2008, 02:03 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

nope, not of f1. it's not close enough racing. the only time it's interesting now is when you get a newish driver from a lower team trying to overtake and ballsing it up and causing a crash. although hamilton driving into the back of kimi roishfvbojsbvio the other week was funny.

bring back the days of no silly plank of wood underneather, slick tyres and no petrol stops and it may get a bit more interesting.

the touring cars and similar at donnington are normally great. as are the bikes. but i think it'll be a little tight for f1 and can see it being won or lost in the pits even more than normal.
Old 04 July 2008, 04:23 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Donny staged the European Grand Prix back in 1993 and was a stunner of a race... Mind you, that was probably because the rain was thundering down...

If memory serves correctly, Prost (in his comeback year to win his 4th title), driving for Williams Renault built up a good lead, then the heavens opened and the late, great Senna in the old red/white Marlboro sponsored McLaren chased him down to the flag - can't remember who won though. Damon Hill was also in his debut season, can't rem what happened to him in the race but I was only 11!

Have to agree with Matt that F1 is dull now, I hardly watch a race but used to be really into it. MotoGP and WRC are the best spectator motoracing events (to watch on TV)...

F1, Le Mans etc are all outstanding live, good race or not!
Old 04 July 2008, 04:36 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Donny staged the European Grand Prix back in 1993 and was a stunner of a race... Mind you, that was probably because the rain was thundering down...

If memory serves correctly, Prost (in his comeback year to win his 4th title), driving for Williams Renault built up a good lead, then the heavens opened and the late, great Senna in the old red/white Marlboro sponsored McLaren chased him down to the flag - can't remember who won though. Damon Hill was also in his debut season, can't rem what happened to him in the race but I was only 11!

Have to agree with Matt that F1 is dull now, I hardly watch a race but used to be really into it. MotoGP and WRC are the best spectator motoracing events (to watch on TV)...

F1, Le Mans etc are all outstanding live, good race or not!
that was when f1 was interesting, prost, senna, mansell etc. they actually used to overtake then. even on bends

remember senna and prost when both at mclaren and it was down to the last race of the season as to who would win the title. senna just wiped prost out. come on senna. never been as interested in f1 since he died.
Old 04 July 2008, 05:04 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
that was when f1 was interesting, prost, senna, mansell etc. they actually used to overtake then. even on bends

remember senna and prost when both at mclaren and it was down to the last race of the season as to who would win the title. senna just wiped prost out. come on senna. never been as interested in f1 since he died.
Mansell had gone to Indycar after the '92 season title win and Prost had come out of retirement after Frank Williams offered him a huge salary and a virually lock in for his 4th world title in the unbeatable Williams.

The 92/93 seasons were Williams run aways... 92 was basically Mansell and Patrese (sp?) 1,2 every race. Gulf between the top and bottom teams was even larger back then due to technology that top teams could afford (active suspension, traction control).

Totally agree F1 was better back then but defo before the Williams dominant era... One Senna/Prost incident was at Suzuka to decide the title. Senna said before the race if he doesn't get pole, he will take Prost off in the first bend as 2nd place on the grid was on the dirty line. Whoa and behold, Prost takes pole, Senna takes him off.... ... not sure if that is the incident you're referring too.

Shame Silverstone has lost it though as IMHO it is one the best tracks.
Old 04 July 2008, 08:38 PM
Baza1954
Scooby Regular

Silverstone as a track has not lost it the BRDA lost it.
This is Bernie V's J Stewart etc.
Mr Donnington has promised to spend loads of money on the place so we will see a lot of changes.

I was born into F1 as Dad was a mechanic way back in the copper climax era. when it was the driver that made the difference not the car. radial treaded tyres no wings etc a championship driver could breakdown in his car take the No2 drivers car and still race it too a win.

technology is necessary BUT we need a level playing field unfortunately most sports are controlled by the sponsors and the amount of money the leading teams get richer the lower poorer and never a chance to compete.

fell out of love with f1 to a degree love Moto gp (although this is creeping to wards F1 standards) and WSB BSB and WRC more chance of someone else winning.
Rant over sorry also showing my age
Old 04 July 2008, 08:39 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

TBH I can't understand Ecclestone's logic on this - Went to Donny for the first time last year for the World Series and I thought the circuit was a load of rubbish!

Too short, not wide enough, not safe enough, by the time the last of the grid gets going, the front runners have got half way round the circuit!

The roads to get to it was a nightmare (and that's being kind)...... I certainly wouldn't class it as being capable of running anything above GP2 level...... A very second rate circuit IMHO.

Silverstone has it all as far as I am aware and Ecclestone has not done the British F1 fans any favours - If he seriously wants Donny to run this, then the whole circuit needs flattening and rebuilt from scratch.

Personally I'm not remotely impressed with this bit of news........
Old 04 July 2008, 09:38 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Shame Silverstone has lost it though as IMHO it is one the best tracks.
Frankly I'll believe it when I see it. Remember Silverstone lost F1 to Brands Hatch a few years ago but it never happened.

Too much of this doesn't make sense.

Credit crunch but they have to raise £100m AND raise it pretty damn quick.

Race starts in 2010 so they have 2 years to do the neccessary work but planning will take at least 12 months.

They will HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE to build a new access road or there will be the parking issues that Silverstone had that nearly lost them the race the first time...

How long does it take to build a dual carriageway?

Parking is barely able to cope with motorbikes for the motogp. If its wet then they are in serious trouble...

It's NEVER going to happen..
Old 06 July 2008, 11:43 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

You make really good points, and I really hope you're right and it stays at Silverstone!

I think it is appalling that we're the only country where the track does not get any gov't support (pretty sure all the other nations do). Esp when you consider the amount of money the event brings in to the economy. But they're prepared to waste so much on stupid projects like sending a poxy London Bridge to China for the Olympics..