Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

any thoughts on virgin/sky TV & broadband providers

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2008, 03:52 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any thoughts on virgin/sky TV & broadband providers

as above who has got what and how do you feel they have been, set up, customer service, connection etc etc.

cheers
Old 28 April 2008, 03:58 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I'm with Virgin, and have been since they were United Artists then Telewest, never had a problem, only called customer services a couple of times, but they have been helpful, so can't fault the service at all
Old 28 April 2008, 04:18 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on Sky Broadband at home. Had it about 18 months, never had any problems.

Always got good connection and the network has never been "down" as far as I can remember and only £5 a month (for the intermediate package). I would recommend them.
Old 28 April 2008, 04:24 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, so that's 1 good review for each.... just to confuse me a bit more! lol
Old 28 April 2008, 04:46 PM
Summers
Scooby Regular

We have Sky for the home phone and broadband, and really pleased with both and much cheaper than BT. Was easy to set up the whole lot and not had any problems at all.
Old 28 April 2008, 05:43 PM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

Speak to SHIRALEE on KENT SCOOBIES

she sells them....
Her Job.....

May get you a deal..

OPPS VIRGIN is her one LOL
Old 28 April 2008, 06:38 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I have sky plus for the TV and virgin for phone and broadband.

Used to have Telewest (before they were virgin) for everything and have to say - never had a problem. We took Sky though for the "plus" package as i record LOADS and having a PAUSE button is VERY handy

That said - never had a prob with either (touch wood)
Old 28 April 2008, 06:45 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
I have sky plus for the TV and virgin for phone and broadband.

Used to have Telewest (before they were virgin) for everything and have to say - never had a problem. We took Sky though for the "plus" package as i record LOADS and having a PAUSE button is VERY handy

That said - never had a prob with either (touch wood)

Oh dear, that's done it, I can see the thread now......

"Help! Sky's broken and phone wont work"

Or maybe no thread at all because the broadband will go aswell.

Old 28 April 2008, 06:51 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Virgin customer here, very happy with them and would recommend!!
Old 28 April 2008, 08:26 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Virgin customer here also, and I am of the mind that you will get quicker connections through a dedicated 'cable' company, rather than Sky etc through existing telephone cables, especially when you may not know where your nearest exchange is, or even how old the telephone cables are, which can affect download speeds.

That said, I have only ever been with (sn)AOL when I first went online (and they were a pain), and when I moved out, went with Telewest, partially because the cable was already installed, but also because it was a 'Cable' .

Personal preferences apply though, especially with what others have said above.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:20 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Here in Harlow, the cable network was fitted by a company called Anglia Cable who, when I used them, turned out to be bunch of to**ers, so I dumped them and went BT for my broadband. Swore I would never ever use cable ever again......... and never have. From what I hear from others around here about virgin, who bought out the company who bought out the company, etc, etc,.....nothing has changed. I've often had their "representatives" calling unannounced at my door trying to convince me to sign up, they just get the door slammed in thier face.....

With BT - I normally get broadband speeds of around 5.1-5.5mb (due to the length of wire to the exchange), so can't really complain - it's miles faster than the standard 2mb that virgin seems to offer round here now, unless of course you want to pay throiugh the nose for the higher speeds, in which case BT wins!

Can't comment about Sky as I can't have it here, but if I understand it correctly, you still have to have a BT line, so you will still be paying for that, which makes it all so very expensive........

I use freeview, which TBH covers 90% of what I would want to watch and only costs the price of the digibox, so you don't have to sign up to a contract to watch many of the channels....

Probably not what you wanted to hear as it will confuse you even more, but just make sure you work out ALL the costs involved before making your decision, otherwise you may end up finding yourself in a contract that will throw your dosh down the drain.....

Don't rush it is the answer and only sign up when you are convinced that you have EXACTLY what you want at the PRICE you want.

There are plenty of people on SN who will rave about what they have, but that doesn't mean that the same set up will work for you..... just bear that in mind and all will be fine!

PS - sorry for the long reply!
Old 28 April 2008, 09:27 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

Sky customer here.

I have Sky Max which claims 16MB, but every time i run my custom script, the highest i have ever had has been 4MB, so MAX is a rip off.
Sky is reliable but I'd recommend the middle package not the top one + Sky has introduced the 'fair usage policy' which means if you are heavy on downloads you'll be capped.

Customer services is hopeless, but, not to worry, who needs customer service when you can join this forum, Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! and your questions will be answered quicker than trying to connect to CS.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:29 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

Just to add, you do not have to use Sky router, which is apparently cr4p, there is a hack script to extract the username and password which can be used on your router of choice.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:34 PM
sheikhlala
Scooby Regular

I have been with Ntl/Virgin for the last 7 tears but am moving to BT/Sky tomorrow as I`m really annoyed with their customer service lying to me and costing us another £90. To be truthful after my recent dealings with Sky I`m not sure that they`ll be any different but we`ll see.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:52 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BRI4N
Oh dear, that's done it, I can see the thread now......

"Help! Sky's broken and phone wont work"

Or maybe no thread at all because the broadband will go aswell.

- yep, thats funny - and if you've jinxed me then I'll be after you sunny boy LMAO

Just be my fecking luck though eh
Old 29 April 2008, 12:31 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllenJ
Sky customer here.

I have Sky Max which claims 16MB, but every time i run my custom script, the highest i have ever had has been 4MB, so MAX is a rip off.
Sky is reliable but I'd recommend the middle package not the top one + Sky has introduced the 'fair usage policy' which means if you are heavy on downloads you'll be capped.

Customer services is hopeless, but, not to worry, who needs customer service when you can join this forum, Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! and your questions will be answered quicker than trying to connect to CS.
It will say UPTO 16Mb, you can only get speeds that your exchange can produce. Most exchanges won't be doing anywhere near 16Mb so it's not worth it unless you want the unlimited download.

My exchange is only capable of pumping out 4.5Mb so the intermediate package (which allows up to 8Mb) is plenty. Even so my download speeds are normally between 4 and 4.5 so I have no complaints as that is as fast as the exchange can go (for now).
Old 29 April 2008, 12:57 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

sky here!
Old 29 April 2008, 04:46 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

my parents have the V+ (Virgin) which I think is crap and not very easy to use.

I have sky+ and its so much easier, looks better and never had any real issues with service (bad weather affected it a couple of times)

Pay £55 a month for sky+ and all the extra movies, sport etc

hope this helps
Old 29 April 2008, 06:42 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Telewest\Virgin customer. I nearly moved to Sky beacuse they have so many more HD channels and (as someone else has said), Virgin customer service is terrible.

Stayed with Virgin because Sky want £250 for the plus\HD box and its free with Virgin.

broadband has always been super reliable though. hth.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:36 PM
Wilf-01
Scooby Regular

Spally......

its Sti-cki here, we are on virgin was on sky plus but we got a good deal with virgin through work.

We love virgin and have had no problems, we have the full package as in landline, tv, broadband and also if your with virgin you can get a sim card for your mobile which give you 300 mins and 300 texts that £10 a month for the sim but you only get 1 sim per household, any how you can record programms, pause them and do tv on demand and catch up tv.

Come and have achat with Wilf cos we sell it in work, its called VIRGIN PLUS HD.

He can check to make sure you have cable in your area aswell.

He will also beable to sort sky out for you aswell if thats what you want to go for.

Give him a buzz.
Old 01 May 2008, 08:27 AM
spally
Scooby Regular

thanks everyone for the responses.

Sti-cki that is where we have a problem, our road hasnt got cable i believe. The house has sky dish from previous owners.

Next question can virgin be got other than through cable?? I know virgin are very good quality due to the fibre optic cables they use, but will the quality be as good when not coming through cable??

cheers
Old 01 May 2008, 12:24 PM
Wilf-01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spally
thanks everyone for the responses.

Sti-cki that is where we have a problem, our road hasnt got cable i believe. The house has sky dish from previous owners.

Next question can virgin be got other than through cable?? I know virgin are very good quality due to the fibre optic cables they use, but will the quality be as good when not coming through cable??

cheers
If your not sure for def if your road has cable or not just text myself or Wilf your details, as in your full address and will check on the system at work to see for sure if you have it or not.

I believe you wont beable to get virgin if you dont have cable. dont quote me on that though.

Sti-cki
Old 01 May 2008, 12:26 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

sorry should have said defo no cable. I did try to look onto virgin web site but it wasnt really clear as to if i could recived them without cable.