Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

TV problem - any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2007, 08:52 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TV problem - any advice??

Anyone got a clue what might be causing this?

I’ve got a LG 32” TV and have been using it with a freeview box to watch the TV, with the aerial lead plugged into a wall socket that is connected to the outside aerial mounted on the side of my flats.

As the freeview signal has been breaking up so much recently here (pictures always freezing, voices breaking up & sounding like a naff mobile phone conversation – we are not in a guaranteed freeview signal area so I was grateful for anything) I decided to unplug the freeview box and see what the TV would be like connected to the “other” wall socket I have, that is connected to a “cable companies” set up – don’t use them normally as they totally block all freeview signals (plus they are a bunch of cowboys).

Tuning the TV worked really well and got me all the usual “terrestrial” channels with the advantage of having BOTH London ITV and Anglia ITV channels – so far so good…

What’s happening is that on the London ITV channel I am getting a “clicking” noise that sound like “water dripping onto an already wet surface” – imagine a drip from a roof gutter dripping onto a wet window frame – that’s pretty near the noise, once every second or so.

I don’t however get it on the Anglia ITV channel.

I’ve tried fine tuning the London ITV signal, but no good – I’ve tried “jiggling” the aerial lead, but no good – I’ve tried unplugging the lead to clean it and reconnect it, still no good………..

It only happens on this one channel so what on earth can it be?

Double checked before I sat and typed this out – refitted the freeview set-up to see and there is NO noise on that so it’s something very strange………

Any advice?
Old 28 June 2007, 09:47 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Could be something wet ?
Old 28 June 2007, 10:19 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Don't know if your taking the P or not............

TV is in my living room......... just in case you haven't guessed!
Old 28 June 2007, 10:28 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it's a problem with that cable company rather than your tv Looie.
I shouldn't worry about it.

The only down side is having to watch local country bumpkin news on Anglia.
Old 28 June 2007, 10:37 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looie we aren't in a digital area but we get nearly 100 channels with freeview. Are you pointing towards london. We were pointing Anglia for the better terra signal, but the digi signal was sh1te. We turned towards london and while the terra signal is worse the digital signal is stronger. We also have an extra booster after each ariel split in the loft. Loft boosting is recomended as it boosts the signal at its strongest point rather than at the end of the cable behind the tv were its at its poorest.

Stu.
Old 29 June 2007, 08:47 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BRI4N

The only down side is having to watch local country bumpkin news on Anglia.
Norfolk news - as that's the only place they ever talk about. Anglia - my **** furthest south they cover is Ipswich
Old 29 June 2007, 08:55 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

local country bumpkin news on Anglia
lol

"And now for the news....
A village fete was bought to a halt today as a paste-ing table containing Mrs McKenzies fruit cake collapsed causing severe trauma to Pipkin, her poodle who was fast asleep underneath"
Father O'Rourke will be including some prayers this Sunday in All Saints Church"

and now for the weather........................

there wil be beautiful sun today, interspersed with Snow, High winds, torrential rain, hurricanes, and the pollen count will be humungous"
Old 29 June 2007, 07:55 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Looie we aren't in a digital area but we get nearly 100 channels with freeview. Are you pointing towards london. We were pointing Anglia for the better terra signal, but the digi signal was sh1te. We turned towards london and while the terra signal is worse the digital signal is stronger. We also have an extra booster after each ariel split in the loft. Loft boosting is recomended as it boosts the signal at its strongest point rather than at the end of the cable behind the tv were its at its poorest.

Stu.
Hi Mate,

Can't do anything about the aerial as it's bolted to the outside wall by the property owners, the only bit I can access on the whole thing is the aerial socket in the wall in my living room!

I think it's pointing toward London - do you think I should get a signal booster then? I can only put it close to that socket, or on the TV I suppose, no-where else....
Old 29 June 2007, 08:08 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Hi Looie.

If you are running TV from the "piped" aerial which at the moment only has standard terestrial channels, the noise can be due to amplification of the signal. I'm guessing the piped aerial is supplied by NTL (or Virgin Media as it now is).

Sometimes you will find an attenuator, such as 10dB, will be enough to remove the power of the signal and remove any amplified noise.

It may be worth popping to Maplin to see if they have any for you to try. Failing that a simple call to the Virgin Media tech line may be able to assist as they should still be responsible for maintaining the piped aerial.

Saw you this afternoon at Tesco roundabout. You wouldn't have seen me as i was in the wifes Astra .

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 29 June 2007, 08:17 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Tissy
Hi Looie.

If you are running TV from the "piped" aerial which at the moment only has standard terestrial channels, the noise can be due to amplification of the signal. I'm guessing the piped aerial is supplied by NTL (or Virgin Media as it now is).

Sometimes you will find an attenuator, such as 10dB, will be enough to remove the power of the signal and remove any amplified noise.

It may be worth popping to Maplin to see if they have any for you to try. Failing that a simple call to the Virgin Media tech line may be able to assist as they should still be responsible for maintaining the piped aerial.

Saw you this afternoon at Tesco roundabout. You wouldn't have seen me as i was in the wifes Astra .

Hope this helps.

Steve

Cheers Steve,

Will pop along to the new Maplin store over the weekend.

Tesco R.bout eh? - was that when I was on the 2 lane bit blasting past the "pensioners" or when I was turning right up kiln lane to go up to my area?
Old 29 June 2007, 08:37 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Looie
Hi Mate,

Can't do anything about the aerial as it's bolted to the outside wall by the property owners, the only bit I can access on the whole thing is the aerial socket in the wall in my living room!

I think it's pointing toward London - do you think I should get a signal booster then? I can only put it close to that socket, or on the TV I suppose, no-where else....
Personally I would, they are pretty cheap from B&Q. I got mine from there and it is excellent. Before we had our ariel system updated its the only way we got any signal at all. Also upgrade your connecting wires to digital grade, gold if you can, this also helps a great deal.