Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Lpg conversion

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2014, 09:24 PM
Keith bigger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lpg conversion

Has anyone on here converted a 2005 sti onto LPG if so would you recommend it as I love driving my car but the fuel is killing me and I can't enjoy it.
Old 20 January 2014, 09:31 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Sell it buy something cheaper
Old 20 January 2014, 09:40 PM
Keith bigger
Scooby Newbie

I like the car too much to sell it.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:27 PM
Kenny_Powers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Keith bigger
Has anyone on here converted a 2005 sti onto LPG if so would you recommend it as I love driving my car but the fuel is killing me and I can't enjoy it.
I would be wary of converting a high performance turbocharged car to LPG. These conversions work great on regular family cars or even something like a normally aspirated V8 Range Rover, but I have heard horror stories of high performance car engines going bang fairly quickly after an LPG conversion. Get a cheap run around for your daily commute and keep the Scooby as a weekend toy is my advice. You could buy a cheap commuter motor for the price of the conversion.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:48 PM
Keith bigger
Scooby Newbie

Cheers. I just love driving the car don't want it parked all week as it's so nice to drive. Lol.
Old 28 January 2014, 07:53 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I ran my 98 wrx on lpg for 18 months. No issues in that time. I fitted the system myself and have done several other cars too.
Old 28 January 2014, 10:43 AM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

It's around 105 octane too. I've read about exhaust valves on older cars burning out but never seen a scooby converted. Personally, I wouldn't bother. The cost of the conversion, loss of boot space, extra weight etc all outweigh the cost savings if you don't fit it yourself. Better off.commuting in something very cheap and using the Scoob for fun or get a 2nd job. No easy answer I'm afraid.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:40 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 3 Impreza's in N.I that I know of with LPG conversions.

All of them are without issue as far as I'm aware, there is also a Forrester STI with an LPG conversion too.

Speak to AGS in Portadown.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:57 AM
Keith bigger
Scooby Newbie

Yes that's the company I've been told to speak with. Thanks
Old 28 January 2014, 11:05 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Just to add a little about the crap regarding the blowing up of engines and the burning out of valve seats. I have never spoke to anyone in the lpg community that has had an engine blow up. There have been the odd head gasket failure and cracked cylinder head, none of which could be directly linked to the lpg and would probably have happened anyway. Lpg burns only about 10 deg c hotter than petrol iirc.

Valve seat recession happens anyway even when using petrol. It just happens faster when the lubricants in petrol aren't there in the lpg. You can combat this with additives of various types.

I managed a calculated mpg on lpg equivalent to 42mpg on petrol, based on cost at that time, so there is a saving, eventually. Power was noticeably down but the lpg ecu can be set to switch back to petrol under load/ boost conditions or run both petrol and lpg at the same time. Boot space was taken up by a 90l tank.

Sheffield city council ran a green parking scheme that allows lpg users to park for free in their car parks. That saved the mrs 35 quid a week in parking alone.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:15 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

I had a Legacy twin turbo at 267bhp on LPG.

It ran fine
Old 28 January 2014, 11:25 PM
Keith bigger
Scooby Newbie

Cheers I'm defo going to look more into this. I want to drive the car a lot more than i do and I think LPG is the only option. I'm not worried about boot space don't have much in the boot very often just want the car to run right with no problems and give near enough the same performance.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:49 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Trust me you'll be fine.

LPG technology has moved on a lot (not to mention getting a lot cheaper to get conversions done).

Worst case scenario, if the car is too powerful for the lpg system to cope it will jsut switch over to petrol. HOWEVER.... even if your car is 350 bhp you are not always using full boost/throttle and 350 horses. 90% of the time you are not utilising all the power so therefore the system will not be needing to switch over to petrol

Oh and don't think that a company who charge £3000 for a system are any better than the one who can offer you the same system for £1300.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:59 PM
Keith bigger
Scooby Newbie

Your making sense there. Thanks. I think the company is quoting me in around £1200 to do the conversion. My car is just a standard sti with the PPP pack fitted and was 335bhp when left the factory I'd say it's prob abit less now over the years.
Old 29 January 2014, 09:54 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your making sense there. Thanks. I think the company is quoting me in around £1200 to do the conversion. My car is just a standard sti with the PPP pack fitted and was 335bhp when left the factory I'd say it's prob abit less now over the years.
Mine wrx ppp.-near 4 years on lpg and nothing wrong.(no fleshlube, Lpg wales did my car for 700.
I think now they charge 950 plus you need better vaporizer and injectors price could be max 1100.