Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

EJ20 turbo on Omex

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2013, 02:49 PM
seb66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ20 turbo on Omex

Hi guys, i have a turbo beetle that im currently making a rear spaceframe to fit a EJ20 turbo motor to. Ive not bought the engine yet so am in the market for one, ideally one that is already modified, around 2000-05

I currently have OMEX fitted to it which has a map specific for the aircooled motor i have made.

Id like to keep the omex when making the engine transplant. but dont have any starter maps or know anyone who can make me up an engine loom for the motor.

Does anyone have/run omex that could point me in the right direction.

And if there is anyone selling any performance engines in the new year id be very interested in PMs as well as looking through the for sale section.
Old 14 December 2013, 03:27 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

If its an Omex 600 it will have very basic boost control and so not ideally suited to any boosted motor. You can but not the easiest.

Last edited by ScoobP1; 15 December 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Missing 'not'
Old 15 December 2013, 04:45 PM
seb66
Scooby Regular

hi yeah its a 600, i make up the loom as i did with by beetle, but wondered if it was possible to buy it off the shelf. The other thing is that with my beetle its only got a CPS not CPS and Cam position which subarus have, not sure what im going to do about that....
Old 15 December 2013, 05:01 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Why not go for a standard loom from a Subaru engine and get a syvecs or alcatek. Tried and tested and means you don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 15 December 2013, 05:09 PM
seb66
Scooby Regular

are the maps readily available?
Old 15 December 2013, 05:13 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Would need a live map to suit your spec but easily done.

Even a standard ecu would do the job surely and get an Ecutek remap to suit.
Old 15 December 2013, 05:19 PM
seb66
Scooby Regular

yeah, thats not a bad idea. im really thinking of getting the engine and loom at the same time, the only worry for me is the anti-theft features on the car which id not need i.e the immobilisers etc. would need to work all that stuff out and im **** at that sort of stuff.

There must be DIY threads on the net somewhere covering the wiring mods to the engine loom....
Old 15 December 2013, 07:26 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

All depends on the budget and from this I would go,for budget build I would have look on Megasquirt ECU,but still you will need make own loom or adapt yours existing loom

AlcaTek those ECU using OE looms and then you will need OE Loom at least

Syvecs GP version should be best as base maps are available and again you will need custom loom and many people making them,this again can dictate price and budget

Syvecs S6 PnP should work too,but again you will need OE loom and base maps are available to public

Pinouts for Syvecs are largely available over on Syvecs forum and if you have any questions on wiring I would suggest sing up on Syvecs forum

About the engine,all depends on the budget there and from this I would go,we are selling 2.35L but this can be outside of yours budget,all depends what you want and how muhc you are looking to spend

Jura
Old 15 December 2013, 07:52 PM
seb66
Scooby Regular

Hi, Well i kind of think if i go with megasquirt, i may as well keep the omex, but again its an issue of getting it mapped. Im sure i could copy the data from the other ECUs as ultimately they do the same thing in terms of tables. at least ot get started.

Would i be right in saying that the all 2L turbo engine looms are the same? id just cut the main stem off and crimp it to my omex one.

Ive not worked out how to PM, perhaps you could send me the info on your engine and spec. Im really looking to buy a built engine all done, delivered on a pallet ready to fit to my car.....

Old 16 December 2013, 11:26 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

We've done a few Beetles on ESL ECUs, including Ian Huggans bugjam winning EJ20 drag beetle. Its available currently for all JECS ECus 89-98, just 295+VAT and the 97-98 model range now has full motorsport features if required. Every OEM base map is available for download. Just 295+VAT.

www.facebook.com/EnduringSolutionsLtd
www.enduringsolutions.com/InfoSheet.pdf
www.enduringsolutions.com/Manual.pdf
Old 03 January 2014, 10:10 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Someone has just told me that Richard Olafssons beetle cabrio with forged EJ257 & SC46 turbo mapped by Bob Rawle on an ESL ECU is featured in the latest Volksworld magazine. I hear they have also found homes in Campers.
Old 04 January 2014, 11:05 PM
big_wasa
Scooby Regular

You would only need the cam phase sensor for semi or fully sequential injection. Your bug will be mapped for batch fire.

I Have made looms for all sorts of ecu's . The omex 600 is very basic and easy to wire up but you will need to check if it supports the subaru trigger patten or you would need an external trigger wheel.

My mate is doing a bug with a vag 20vt lump in the back and ive got the job of wiring up a Dta s80 the same as his drag racing caddy.

The subaru ecu is very flexible and I wouldn't look beyond it for what you need. An ecu is an ecu but what makes the difference is the mapping.

Last edited by big_wasa; 05 January 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05 January 2014, 05:09 PM
seb66
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for your reply! Yeah its just a shame as the omex cost me a lot of money for the ECU and loom sensors etc. so id like to use it again but as you have siad the subaru ECU is flexible. And to be honest its easier to find someone to map the stock ecu than the subaru.

Ive been messaging a few people on here regarding engines and looms, so i think il go for a stock ECU and take the parts i don't need out the loom. Im a bit rubbish at wiring looms, so may need some direction especially around the anti theft stuff. not sure how to avoid all that kind of stuff.

Im still looking at an engine, and that will determine what ECU and loom i will require.
today ive cut the back of my car out or atleast the interior metal out, ready to fit this to my space frame!