Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

possible ECU swaps (classic facelift)

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2013, 12:28 AM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible ECU swaps (classic facelift)

hello
just wondered what ecu swaps there are out there, i have a 8S ecu and budget thats suddenly become very low due to having to buy wheels, tires and a few other unexpected bits so chipping/mapping seems to have left me for a bit but do see mapped and chipped ecu on ebay now and then but want to know what part numbers i can use as a swap over
cheers guys
Old 12 December 2013, 02:59 PM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

any one??? i see people have looked at the thread but no comments???? come on guys i need help pls...i have to learn some how, scoobys are new to me...
Old 12 December 2013, 03:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

dont bother, wait till you can get it done properly or you may need a new engine.
Old 12 December 2013, 04:46 PM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

thank you guys
i prob will wait, more to see if the car lasts rather than till i afford a set up lol
i have a turbosmart fuel cut defender and a electronic HKS air fuel ratio computer on the way also looking at electronic boost controllers (ha s nasty manual boost controller on at the moment) what would people say was safe for its current td04 set up?
i am looking at td05 or a VF of some sort next year some time.
also need a actuator for the tdo4 if any one happens to have one kicking about...
my car already has manifold, up pipe, decat, cat back, front mount intercooler, hks bov also meant to have 225 fuel pump and bigger injectors,
runs fine but some times a little laggy and holds back but found there wasnt much preload on actuator but the adjuster nut was also rounded off and siezed solid
get the odd flicker from the engine light now and then but its never just ON, always a fliker or its on for 5 mins then off again lol
Old 12 December 2013, 07:10 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T32ER
i have a turbosmart fuel cut defender and a electronic HKS air fuel ratio computer (has nasty manual boost controller on at the moment) what would people say was safe for its current td04 set up?
Getting rid of the stuff that's already fitted would be a good start!
Old 12 December 2013, 09:06 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

What Mickey said. Why fit all that stuff when an ESL ECU is 295+VAT and will do the job properly?
Old 12 December 2013, 11:54 PM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

i got the fuel cut defender on ebay for a whopping £1.06 and the hks afr cpu for £15, the ****ty boost controller was already on there when i got the car and i dont think the oem one is in there so at the min dont have a choice in running it, i have a couple of breakers keeping an eye out for a boost controller for me.
i know getting the ecu sorted is just over 300 quid and to some ppl thats not much money but if im finding / winning bits on ebay at this price there ent no harm in trying is there???
i knew a lot of ppl in the VAG tuning side of things so could get a lot of things done cheaply but non of them deal with jap cars, just asking for advise, at the moment spending out over 300 is no option and yes i know if i crank it uo too much BOOM happens, im not that silly though td04 cant handle much boost, im used to running a 23psi 1.8 20vT 278 bhp leon, this impreza feels quick but its not leon quick (unless its wet) im happy if i can get the impreza running 16-17psi its already running 15psi and is fine but if i turn it up 2 clicks i hit fuel cut
Old 13 December 2013, 03:32 AM
scoobynshag
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Td04's are pointless IMO, ok for mid range pull but top out to quickly, the 8s ecu is restricted to a measly 211bhp which is pants compared to the import 280bhp ecu, there is always a way round issues like this and import ecu's can be fitted with a few alterations, esl or remap is the best but the cost is crazy for subarus considering the ecu is well over 10 yrs old and IMO very dated
Old 13 December 2013, 09:25 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T32ER
i got the fuel cut defender on ebay for a whopping £1.06 and the hks afr cpu for £15, the ****ty boost controller was already on there when i got the car and i dont think the oem one is in there so at the min dont have a choice in running it, i have a couple of breakers keeping an eye out for a boost controller for me.
i know getting the ecu sorted is just over 300 quid and to some ppl thats not much money but if im finding / winning bits on ebay at this price there ent no harm in trying is there???
i knew a lot of ppl in the VAG tuning side of things so could get a lot of things done cheaply but non of them deal with jap cars, just asking for advise, at the moment spending out over 300 is no option and yes i know if i crank it uo too much BOOM happens, im not that silly though td04 cant handle much boost, im used to running a 23psi 1.8 20vT 278 bhp leon, this impreza feels quick but its not leon quick (unless its wet) im happy if i can get the impreza running 16-17psi its already running 15psi and is fine but if i turn it up 2 clicks i hit fuel cut
The harm in trying is lunching the motor which is a very real prospect the minute you start playing with FCDs, AFR piggybacks and MBCs. If your budget doesn't stretch to 300 quid it definitely doesn't stretch to a rebuild. Are you monitoring for knock and fuelling as you are turning the boost up?
Old 13 December 2013, 09:28 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynshag
Td04's are pointless IMO, ok for mid range pull but top out to quickly, the 8s ecu is restricted to a measly 211bhp which is pants compared to the import 280bhp ecu, there is always a way round issues like this and import ecu's can be fitted with a few alterations, esl or remap is the best but the cost is crazy for subarus considering the ecu is well over 10 yrs old and IMO very dated
TD04s spool fast and are good for close to 300hp on pump fuel.

What do you mean by the ECU is very dated? The OEM ECU is an amazing bit of kit.
Old 13 December 2013, 10:32 AM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

Wink

other than the air filter i put on due to old one being caped with crap and the bailly dump valve being replaced with hks due to it not closing fully iv done nothing to it boost wise, i turnt it up a couple of clicks hit boost cut and turnt it back to where it was, like i said im still waiting on things to arrive and want to do some home work before i start, also yea a rebuild costs a lot but when you can find parts cheap and do the work your self you find its much cheaper, im starting to notice that some people on here are nearly as bad as the guys on the edition forum and rather offer help just slate you for wanting to try and do things within budget, i have been tuning 20vT engines for the last 7 years and know that mapping is the way to go but at the moment i want to try other things till money is sorted next year.
im not meaning to sound rude but im asking for help and advise, iv already said mapping is not possible at the moment, non of you know me, im just asking for simple help and advise, no need to try and be funny
(this comment is NOT aimed at individuals just seems to be some thing im noticing on other threads across the forum , get big heads every where i spose), once the electronic boost controller, afr unit and fuel cut defender are fitted then the car will be hooked up to laptop and then we will start to play and set it up whilst keeping an eye on things, should be able to get on a RR for a couple of hours to make a start feb time,
Old 13 December 2013, 10:33 AM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

for those who do and are helping thank you
Old 13 December 2013, 10:44 AM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
The harm in trying is lunching the motor which is a very real prospect the minute you start playing with FCDs, AFR piggybacks and MBCs. If your budget doesn't stretch to 300 quid it definitely doesn't stretch to a rebuild. Are you monitoring for knock and fuelling as you are turning the boost up?
If your budget doesn't stretch to 300 quid it definitely doesn't stretch to a rebuild

you dont know me or what i do, i blow it i can fix it for a lot less than most others, the joys of having 2 cars, working 5 mins away from home means no rush to rebuild and can do the work my self - no need for that comment IMO

Are you monitoring for knock and fuelling as you are turning the boost up?

like iv already said, i turnt boost up once hit fuel cut and put it back, nothing has been turnt up or adjusted from when i got the car and im sure iv put that or along them lines before your comment....pls read, if i didnt put any thing like that any where then i am sorry, but you know now the car is as it is when i got the car

im new to the subaru stuff, if your not going to help me and just make silly comment id rather you jumpt of the side of a cliff than make comment, there is no need to be sarky rude or arrogant, i been tuning 20vT cars for the last 7 years, my last 3 leons have all beaten imprezas at pod regularly i know what the imprezas are like and can be like and thats why i have ditched leons to get in to the subarus, i just want some help from you guys along the way, im not being rude (may look it) but iv had enough of the cr@p in the VAG side of things and didnt expect this place to be much the same as seatcupra. net
Old 13 December 2013, 12:07 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Wasn't intending to be rude, was all meant as good advice, if you don't mind I won't jump off a cliff but I'll happily leave you to it. Good luck.
Old 13 December 2013, 02:05 PM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

the part from where i put "im new to subaru stuff" is not intended directly at you, pls dont jump off a cliff,
Old 13 December 2013, 08:21 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please, really don't fit the FCD. Chuck it, or sell it on.

You're running just over 1 bar of boost, which is why you're hitting fuel cut, standard boost is 0.8ish of a bar.

You're not going to see great things with the TD04 fitted, winding the boost up is a waste of time as it stands.
Old 13 December 2013, 09:17 PM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Please, really don't fit the FCD. Chuck it, or sell it on.

You're running just over 1 bar of boost, which is why you're hitting fuel cut, standard boost is 0.8ish of a bar.

You're not going to see great things with the TD04 fitted, winding the boost up is a waste of time as it stands.
thank you for that, i plan to have a vf23 or a td05 over christmas and fit it at some point end of jan/feb.
i dont hit fuel cut at 15psi it was only when i turnt it up 2 clicks, hit it so i turnt it down
seller claims it has been mapped/chipped but iv not taken cover off the ecu yet, do know the kick cover over the ecy was only hand tight tho but has no stickers on ecu at all (i know not all places do this)

Last edited by T32ER; 13 December 2013 at 09:21 PM.