Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

MY94 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2013, 08:09 PM
stefgre
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY94 WRX

Hi all

I have a MY94 WRX and was just wondering route to go down to get it to around 280-300 bhp.

I have been told I can fit a 6k Ecu out of a V2 sti and will be around the 280 mark and its a direct fit is this true ?

Also a friend told me about a chip from polar performance which will also get me close to my target but I can seem to find a website which sells them. Are they still around ?

I would just get a daughter board and remap but would rather not pay 650 if it can be achieved for alot less.

Thanks in advance
Old 08 December 2013, 11:44 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

For best results go for ESL. 6k or Z4 ecu may help a little...
Old 09 December 2013, 07:20 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Decat, Z4 ECU, PFR-7B plugs, FMIC and turn the boost up.

Or, same as above, but, add in the ESL. Don't think Scott @ Polar Performance is still doing plug in chips.
Old 10 December 2013, 12:15 AM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

your 380s and intercooler will max out at 280
Old 10 December 2013, 12:37 AM
t16coupe
Scooby Regular

im running the esl was on the car when I brought it 305hp td05 fmic etc
Old 10 December 2013, 08:42 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Polar chips are out there if you keep an eye out. I bought one this year and I saw another one on sale a couple of months ago.

I'm keen to keep my car (MY93 WRX RA) as standard as possible and not wanting to go down the FMIC route. Personally the outlay for an ESL is only worth it if you are doing this, while the Polar offers a nice gain for very little (and allows the use of 97 RON fuel).
Old 10 December 2013, 10:06 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

The difference between a tailored map and a generic one is huge.

Adding a FMIC is not the only reason to go live mapped. With a generic eprom you have to keep the car standard, If you fit one, don't assume you can run a particular fuel octane, have it checked for det and correct fuelling.

If you want to change the turbo, injectors, ditch the MAF, uprate the MAP sensor, have twin maps, optimise for a particular fuel, for power or economy, add motorsports features, then you need ESL. At 295+VAT it will probably give you the most bang for buck of any modification.
Old 10 December 2013, 10:34 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Andy, if I were planning to do any other mods on my car then I would be your customer. As it is though, the £600+ (including map) feels quite a lot to pay for what I anticipate would be a fairly minimal return on a standard MY93 car over a Polar map. If you can persuade me otherwise I would be more than happy to reconsider.
Old 11 December 2013, 07:14 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

I changed to ESL about a year ago on my classic and is the best money I have spent. (apart from fuel so I can enjoy it!)
I started out with the same thoughts of you, I little more power....... ESL opens up many many doors. I am a huge fan of Running mafless. No need to worry about your stock MAF sensor going bad(Very common on our cars). Also allows your to run a much nicer intake (free power).
As Andy said above. Being able to tweak everything for YOUR engine and mods is the most important. With a decent tune you will get a much safer and more powerful tune in my opinion!
ESL has let my imagination run rather wild and lead me from wanting "a few more ponies" to moving to a fully forged, Big turbo mildly scary street car!

If I was in your shoes, I would save the extra cash for ESL and tune!
Old 11 December 2013, 08:02 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by mnem1c
your 380s and intercooler will max out at 280
Injectors will go further than that.

Originally Posted by plenty
As it is though, the £600+ (including map) feels quite a lot to pay for what I anticipate would be a fairly minimal return on a standard MY93 car over a Polar map.
A used Apexi Power FC will still stand you ITRO £400+ then add mapping. Alcatek is IRO £800 fitted and mapped, the GEMS based Simtek is over £1000 fitted and mapped.

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
No need to worry about your stock MAF sensor going bad(Very common on our cars).
The MAF on an early car is a lot more robust than the later cartridge type as found in a 99 car, Dan. Not to say they can't go wrong though.

IMO, ESL way to go, if you have a fast road early car. It's certainly the route I'd go down.
Old 11 December 2013, 10:12 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
A used Apexi Power FC will still stand you ITRO £400+ then add mapping. Alcatek is IRO £800 fitted and mapped, the GEMS based Simtek is over £1000 fitted and mapped.
Indeed - I am not disputing that the ESL is an attractive option if looking to do a custom map.

However is a custom map worth £600 compared with £50 for a Polar chip? As I have said above, I am not doing any other mods - my v1 RA is staying standard. If I want to go down the big-bhp route, I'll pick up a v3 or a JDM newage.
Old 12 December 2013, 07:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Indeed - I am not disputing that the ESL is an attractive option if looking to do a custom map.

However is a custom map worth £600 compared with £50 for a Polar chip? As I have said above, I am not doing any other mods - my v1 RA is staying standard. If I want to go down the big-bhp route, I'll pick up a v3 or a JDM newage.
Why worry about a chip for the ECU then? Just leave it as it is, and run it on V-Power. A car of that vintage doesn't need 100 octane fuel, you'd be fine on 97 RON, FWIW.

Depends on what you actaully plan on doing, really though, and what ever chip you fit covers.

My personal opinion is that no 2 Impreza's are the same, so fitting a chip might actually be a complete waste of time.

Friend of mine had a MY94/95, I forget exactly what year car it was. Almost exactly the same cars, different induction kit, boost controller and car colour, but, that was it. He fitted an FMIC, and his car wouldn't run for ****. Wouldn't idle etc. Yet mine has always been perfectly fine, other than the odd charge pipe blowing off.
Old 13 December 2013, 09:45 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Andy, if I were planning to do any other mods on my car then I would be your customer. As it is though, the £600+ (including map) feels quite a lot to pay for what I anticipate would be a fairly minimal return on a standard MY93 car over a Polar map. If you can persuade me otherwise I would be more than happy to reconsider.
They are two entirely different things tbh, but it's your call. I only sell the ECU at 295+VAT and don't control distributor costs. As the product has grown in complexity mapping costs will rise, like the fact that there are two full maps on it for a start. If you are capable of operating the application software you can map it yourself to save money.

A tailored map will always ensure the optimum operation of the vehicle in terms of performance, economy and most importantly, safety. As no two Imprezas of this vintage are the same (even 'standard' cars), a generic map may det badly, may not give you any performance increase, or you may get lucky and it will run safely, so I would build into the £50 cost a session with a mapper to ensure the car is free from knock and fuelling correctly as that may save an engine. Unfortunately, if it isn't you have no easy way of altering the EPROM image to suit, or even what is on it in the first place.
Old 14 December 2013, 04:37 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

ESL, Heap of reading and Self tune! Worked for me! With a heap of Andy's help too!