Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Apexi ecu on an MY99 UK

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2013, 06:03 PM
wardle88
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi ecu on an MY99 UK

Is it worth it?

I've managed to get an apexi ecu for my MY99 UK2000 and as I thought it was a good option to have before I get the car mapped.

Thing is, it was a bit of an impulse buy so I've no idea what it can actually do for my car. I will have the controller too but have had an offer for it and I may not use it as I dont want to change things once mapped.

The car will have the following. Closed deck engine with version 5 heads/inlet, gt spec headers and up-pipe, VF28 or 35 turbo, Sti top mount, 440 injectors, panel filter, walbro pump, afterburner vortex full decat system, 3 port solenoid, 5 speed 754 box with exedy clutch and lightened flywheel.

Questions are.

Can I run mafless with the Apexi?

Will the mapper (racedynamix) like this ecu?

Can it be mapped past 1.1bar as i've read it cant do this??

What are the main features of running an Apexi, is the LC/AL possibilities?

Thanks
Old 21 May 2013, 06:18 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check my old threads I had one on mine
Old 21 May 2013, 09:50 PM
wardle88
BANNED

How do I do that? you've got 1400 odd posts.
Old 21 May 2013, 11:52 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

A/L & L/C No, Mafless only if you buy the AVCR boost controller to go with, Easy to map so no reason why they won't like it apart from having to rely on a MAF, Yep unfortunately only 1.1 Bar but any aftermarket boost controller will sort that out for you. Old tech but still a good piece of kit just there are much better options now for the Impreza
Old 22 May 2013, 05:19 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got into my statistics then threads
Old 23 May 2013, 04:45 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

You can not run Mafless without the MAfsim, but that project is dead as a doornail I believe.

However you can chuck the very weak standard Impreza My99-2000 MAF and use one from a Nissan (Z32 maf) This is a more robust MAF which supports much giher power levels before running into size limitations.
As the MAF needs to be scaled correctly by the tuner you would have to have the Z32 Maf fitted at the time of mapping, as mapping with the stock MAF now, and then remapping it when you mount the Z32 MAF is throwing money away.

If you do not mind the absense of antilag, launch control, or other features I would recommend the Apexi.If you are thinking about maybe adding one or more of those features in the future I would rather now sell the PowerFC and buy a Simtek/Alcatek, as that would have all those features available with a software upgrade, without having to solder into the factory loom later.

If you factor in the costs of a PowerFC, a launch control ECU (like the BEE*R)etcetera you'll end up at the same price as a Simtek/Alcatek, and with a ****load of wires added to the factory loom.Instead of paying for/wiring in a Bee*r you just pay to get that feature enabled at a later date on the Alcatek should you even decide you nee dit.

Last edited by Dutch Scooby lover; 23 May 2013 at 10:45 PM.