Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Going for mapping - any safety tips?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2013, 08:43 PM
DeanS15
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for mapping - any safety tips?

I'm all set to have my car mapped (on ecutek).
It's an 06 blobeye sti and I've fitted a full 3" decat system, green panel, walbro 255 pump, boost gauge and filled up with v-power. I changed the oil and filter while I was there (5w40 fully synthetic) and threw a new fuel filter on. Ngk Pfr7b's to be gapped and fitted before it goes on the rollers to be mapped and a 3 port in place ready to be connected up.

I wanted to ask on here, seeing as it's an 80 mile drive, will it be ok to make the journey with the wastegate connected directly to the turbo outlet so there's no chance of overboosting, and have the loose solenoid hose blocked off to stop air getting in or out where it shouldn't? I see this as pretty much the same as switching off an ebc and running spring pressure but someone might disagree and Id like to hear if so.

I understand driving off boost is obviously essential but this would save me having to watch the boost gauge like a hawk all the way there as it will probably struggle to make more than 7 or 8 psi like that. Also the cel has come on since fitting the full decat and having some gentle drives, as i expected from scanning the forum, will the car be in limp mode and still safe to make the trip?

Thanks a lot in advance, I wanted to check as I'm looking for as much peace of mind really

Cheers.

Last edited by DeanS15; 18 May 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 18 May 2013, 10:04 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it easy on closed loop (very easy pedal) and you shouldnt have to do anything to the wastegate.
Old 19 May 2013, 08:40 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Drive it gently, half throttle should be ok, been there done it many times, up to 60 miles each way to SRR.
Old 19 May 2013, 09:26 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

When I'm going to a mapping session after mods I find driving like a granny is sufficient. V slow acceleration with one eye on the boost gauge will be OK, you can still do motorway speeds just don't floor it. Some do disconnect the actuator & blanc the pipe but you don't need to if carefull & not sure if mappers recommend this.