Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

remappers spec me a decent wideband

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2013, 07:08 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remappers spec me a decent wideband

hi all i wanna teach myself a bit about mapping

i dont think il touch my subaru but more than likely put bike throttlebodies or maybe turbo a 2.0 zetec engine on megasquirt as there is quite a lot of support for this ecu and i feel il be able to get a fundamental understanding of how everything works so basically after searching for hours on the internet im unsure of what wideband toget

been looking at the AEM UEGO and also innovate LC-1 but also the AEM failsafe has caught my eye as it has afr map and also rpm on the one guage that can be logged onto your lap top

the innovate seems to be the one everyone uses but i want as muuch information as possible and with using the LC-1 the only info i wil get is AFR bt im interested to know how on the innovate logworks software how all the other features are linked in if anyone can shed any light on this i.e. rpm and map

any information would be very helpful in my quest to gain knowledge

cheers
Old 25 January 2013, 07:15 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

or when you wire an lc-1 in do the auxillary wires tap into the rpm signal of the car?

or is the aem failsafe a better route to go down as it covers all 3 parameters?

would be nice to try it on a few cars first to understand what im looking for and try out the datalogging etc

as a package for adding sensors etc and in the future compatibility with the ecu etc etc i just want to know what the best brand to go with is and what has all the functions i am looking for!
Old 25 January 2013, 07:44 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ether of the 2 you mention are a good piece of kit, I recently posted the same question

The LC-1 can be wired in to the ecu to allow logging through Rom raider and I'm sure the AEM is also capable of the same feature.

Both of them are also suitable for aftermarket ecu use also such as Alcatek, syvecs etc, I'm not sure about the fail safe you refer to tbh on the AEM its all pretty new to myself too I have decided on the LC-1 and a vag data cable for logging ( when I start ) although the cable won't allow mapping if that's what your intention is, you will need a tactrix cable for that.
Old 25 January 2013, 08:09 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Iv currently got a classic with simtek though...i want the wideband to be stand alone initially so i need to display afr and rpm at a minimum on my laptop screen and then if i get a newage i can adjust fuelling to target afr from my wideband but simultaneoysly if you undrrstand what i mean by looking at 2 totally independant screens...1 for ecu and 1 for wideband...i understand though if i get lc1 and unsure of aem that i can link the lambda to the likes of a megasquirt ecu and automatically set afr targets so i map from the afr and then just adjust ignition...i may be wrong though...arm failsafe looks like a brilliant package but innovate seems to be tried and tested i just want to know how to independantly display afr and rpm on logwotks or does it mean i need an lma3 to daisy chain the inputs and display them on my laptop...i think you can datalog everything this way then to but lc1 is 129 plus a guage if you want one and then lma3 is 300 pounds wheras aem failsafe is 180 and i have boost and afr displayed on one gauge then!
Old 25 January 2013, 09:12 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I asked about this recently and was advised that the innovate is compatabile with syvecs, the AEM less so.
Old 25 January 2013, 09:15 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Im not to fussed about ecu compatibility at te minute but just want to be able to biew more than afr on logworks as just logging afr is irrelevant unless it is against map or rpm more so

Can you confirm how you installed your innovate and how the rpm signal is achieved? Is it even possible with the innovate to gather rpm through the auxiliary wires?
Old 25 January 2013, 09:48 AM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

im looking at the same thing for the syvecs when bob mapped my car he had a little digital box on the windscreen i want this i can get the w/b from work loom from jt then how do i get the display without going toucan
Old 25 January 2013, 10:10 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Yh what did he use? I just want to log on my computer and a guage is only needed for monitoring however aem failsafe enables you to predetermine afr values and then if fuelling gos out of this limit due to pipe blow off etc it alarms and will cut spark or boost to save engine
Old 25 January 2013, 10:28 AM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

In the case of Syvecs and AlcaTek...

LC-1 can be wired to AlcaTek using serial data, and it integrates very well allowing lambda status messages as well as O2 readings. If you upgrade to latest AlcaTek software, you can display wideband data (as well as loads of other stuff) via Toucan, but AlcaTek does not have logging as such so you either use Toucan for live data or connect your laptop up and get data that way.

AEM wideband can also connect to latest AlcaTek software, but it only transmits data not status. It works though, and you can keep and use the AEM gauge if you want (or Toucan, or laptop).

Syvecs really only works with NTK wideband, has logging, and also Toucan support.

Both Syvecs and AlcaTek allow full closed loop lambda control for cruise as well as WOT

OEM ECU - as others have said you should be able to connect LC-1 to ECU and log it that way (although I have no personal experience of that).

HTH

Last edited by JTinnovations; 25 January 2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 25 January 2013, 11:27 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

No bud mine is not installed, and aint done anything with it as of yet, just accumulating all the bits I need /want and do it all in one hit, I'm still researching around regarding data logging and just reading up on stuff, the LC-1 kit was £150 with the gauge and controller from eBay, should be here early next week along with my cable, just need to figure out what all the info means and what and how to log ill get there eventually tho
Old 25 January 2013, 11:30 AM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Im not really to fussed about connecting wide band to ecu i just want to be ae to plot afr against rpm on my laptop and want to know if that is even possible?

Is there even any integration from lc1 or mtx version so i get a gauge to with rpm on the log works software without using a different ecu?
Old 25 January 2013, 01:41 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Sorry bud I'm not up to speed with that side of things I'm afraid, its relatively new to me tbh, I'm sure someone will know tho I'm just doing the ecu logging, I can see what your trying to achieve and I would imagine it is possible somehow just not sure how
Old 25 January 2013, 01:43 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Fair enough il have to keep researching it or wait for someone to pipe up haha
Old 25 January 2013, 02:48 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by d.kenny
Im not really to fussed about connecting wide band to ecu i just want to be ae to plot afr against rpm on my laptop and want to know if that is even possible?

Is there even any integration from lc1 or mtx version so i get a gauge to with rpm on the log works software without using a different ecu?
Yes you can use RomRaider for datalogging yours AFR data plus other data aswell and its free SW.Have look on the RomRaider Forum

We are run AEM UEGO wideband for few months and has been great,we are sold just due we are running Toucan and Race Dash

Almost everyone Wideband using Bosch LSU series

Jura
Old 25 January 2013, 03:49 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

I can use romraider on a classic with a simtek ecu? I do t have the cable or software though or do you mean i need rom raider aswell as logworks to run an lc-1 guage
Old 25 January 2013, 03:58 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Does the tacho use a 0-5v signal on a subaru as if it does there are 2 analog outputs that can be programmed on the lc1 and log works i think

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 25 January 2013, 03:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I can use romraider on a classic with a simtek ecu? I do t have the cable or software though or do you mean i need rom raider aswell as logworks to run an lc-1 guage
No you can't use Romraider on SimTek,its only for OE ECU

On SimTek you can have SW for extra(which can allow you datalog),ask SimTek/AlcaTek dealers about this

Jura
Old 25 January 2013, 04:05 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

whats SW?

and this is the innovate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INNOVATE-L...item45f0511a2a

now the 2 user programmable analog outputs are they what you would connect the tacho to (even though its an anaolog output)

im not to up to much on wirirng but id like some input to on people who have used and installed them

the aem uego and also the aem failsafe look good but i dont know how compatible they would be in future on another car i may purchase or ecu and map myself
Old 25 January 2013, 04:19 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Soft Ware
Old 25 January 2013, 05:08 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

You will need SW(Software) from dealers of AlcaTek/SimTek,which will allow you datalogging or other functions(mapping etc.),on Syvecs is for free

As I said speak here with MartynJ or TimH,Simon etc about the pricing for this

Jura
Old 25 January 2013, 05:09 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Software lol my bad haha...any more infos on afr and rpm on logworks?

Am i totally barking up the wrong tree trying to plot data with just an afr against rpm on logworks so i can see what the map of any given car is like without being able to view data from the ecu?

Just think of putting the afr on a standard ford fiesta for example...i just want to look at the afr against the rpm so i can see how afr and rpm values alter on a standard car

I just want to do this for the start of my self taught learning curve if you see what i mean then my next step will be to fit it to a car that i can access the ecu information on and then alter it albeit by paying for my simtek license and obtaining the cable and software, on a newage subaru using tactrix and opensource or on any other car for that matter by buying a megasquirt ecu for exapmle wiring that in ad then il have afr and rpm value experience from using the afr on standard factory mapped cars

...if that makes any sense at all???

Lol cheers
Old 25 January 2013, 05:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As you probably read this Logworks 3.0 working only as on OE ECU(like via OBD/CAN)and you will need plus for reading all those data OT-1($149) or OT-2(WiFi/OBD),not on aftermarket ECU where is OBD port is useless

As you have SimTek,upgrade yours SimTek to AlcaTek spec and add this Tuning package,which will allow you to datalog all those data(AFR,MAP,RPM etc)

Jura
Old 25 January 2013, 05:48 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

so the answer is i cannot do what i want then?

thats really annoying the only way i can do it is through an ecu...i dont want the info to be closed loop.

if i was to map a car then id have to have one eye on the afr metre and one eye on adjusting the fuelling and timing of an engine then?

so basically iv got to pick what looks best or cheapest out of the aem uego or failsafe and the innovate lc-1 or mtx which out of the innovates i understand are pretty much identicl just one has a guage?
Old 25 January 2013, 06:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

so the answer is i cannot do what i want then?

thats really annoying the only way i can do it is through an ecu...i dont want the info to be closed loop.

if i was to map a car then id have to have one eye on the afr metre and one eye on adjusting the fuelling and timing of an engine then?

so basically iv got to pick what looks best or cheapest out of the aem uego or failsafe and the innovate lc-1 or mtx which out of the innovates i understand are pretty much identicl just one has a guage?
No you cannot to do what you are want on SimTek/AlcaTek,you will need as I above said this package from SimTek/AlcaTek plus yours AFR must be wired to ECU and after that you can do what you are want

LM-1 or AEM using same Wideband sensors Bosch LSU 4.x and they're technically same

Jura
Old 25 January 2013, 06:14 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Can you simply state what you're trying to do and why?
Old 25 January 2013, 07:56 PM
d.kenny
Scooby Regular

Ok lol thanks for the info...think i may buy a newage wrx or something and try and look into doing some OS tuning

Trying to download everythin i need now (ecu flash and rom raider) but its a bit more complicated than i first though just getting the right files i dont know how to uploadbthe roms to look at and compare them

My mind is far to overactive, im over willing to learn and probably ruin a car or ecu in the process lol

Any tips on this

Gonna purchase the innovate wideband to i think even though open source allows for aem or innovate guages on a newage!
Old 25 January 2013, 10:24 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

You have a Simtek (AlcaTek)? So Romraider will not help.

If you have a Simtek (AlcaTek) enjoy what you have and get the best from it: upgrade it, fit a wideband if you want, and drive happy