Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Simtek advice

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2012, 04:42 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Simtek advice

Hello guys,
After searching and searching for the right ecu for me I have decided on the simtek. I know the best to get is the syvec but £400-500 secondhand against £1200-1400 for th time being says it ll for me. Just cannot stretch that far however I see lots of people on here running both and very happy so simtek it will be. Saving now and hopefully will have the cash to purchase one either late dec or early jan my question is this I have 1999 subaru impreza, running a 2.0 2004 sti bottom end and standard heads. Got the avcs (small ones looking for some big ports but ecu first then in the new year big port) to fit after ecu is bought. Do I go for a simtek for my model ie 1999 or for the model of the engine stupid question I know but am a novice.
Picked up a sc50 billet at a frankly bargain price and I know it will be laggy but I want to see what it is like before spending a further £4k on a 2.1 stroker kit. Also rarely use it (weekends only) as have a scooter for work so like the idea of a big bang turbo rather than smooth as silk deliver,y grin factor for me or should I say brown pants ha ha

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12 November 2012, 07:12 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need the ecu MY to suit your engine loom. Since you've only fitted the bottom end from the MY04, I would assume that you still have the MY99 engine loom, so thge MY99 Simtek (now known as AlcaTek) is almost certainlt the right ecu.

To fit the AVCS heads you can get an AVCS driver board fitted to the Alcatek and then wire the AVCS sensors and solenoids back to the ecu - we do a nice plug-and-play loom for that

I do recommend upgrading your "Simtek" to the latest "AlcaTek" version - it's about £50, plus £100 for the motorsport package that enables launch control, anti-lag and full-throttle gear changes. It also allows sensors such as oil temp and pressure to be wired in - you can then set up engine trips and limp modes etc.

The upgrade also allows you to have 8 maps...and, if you want it, a Toucan touchscreen to control and monitor it all