Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

fitted new exhaust now blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2012, 03:42 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default fitted new exhaust now blue smoke

my o4 wrx blob was fitted with a 3" miltek center section,sports cat and miltek backox but it wasnt loud enough so i have (about an hour ago) swapped it for a un-silenced center section with japspeed back box and now there is blue smoke coming from the exhaust on tickover,it was a second hand exhaust.

also my car when up on the ramps i noticed that the miltek had the sports cat AFTER the sensor which i thought was strange so we removed it,it was fitted to a resonator in the system but it was quite far back down the length of the car near enough under the back seats where as i thought the cat was around the center towards the front

it has been removed so now my car is de-catted but because the cat was after the sensor it shouldnt cause any issues right?

have i made a huge mistake fitting this exhaust or could the japspeed backbox have oil in it and now its burning it off?

before i removed the miltek system my car was perfect with no smoke in the slightest,the engines only done 33k and there is no smoke from the oil filler cap

i spoke to matt @ pole position and the car that the exhaust came from had done its bottom end

any ideas guys?
Old 12 October 2012, 07:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

anybody
Old 12 October 2012, 07:57 PM
t5frankie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perhaps there is lots of oil in one of the boxes, this happened to me on my volvo, if it is it will burn off after a while
Old 12 October 2012, 07:59 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by t5frankie
perhaps there is lots of oil in one of the boxes, this happened to me on my volvo, if it is it will burn off after a while
it didnt look like a really clean exhaust mate to be honest,as said no issues at all before i swapped them
Old 12 October 2012, 08:02 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If the engine from the doner car has let go, there will be a lot of oil sitting in the muffler, dont worry about it, give it a good run, it will burn itself out.
Old 13 October 2012, 09:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

panic over i think,after a good blast up and down the m69/m6 the smoke has now stopped just a little oil smell thats left now

thank ****
Old 13 October 2012, 10:52 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Give it a good beating
Old 14 October 2012, 04:38 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

well this is strange-there was no smoke at all yesterday after a good blast but after a spanking today its was smoking a little again

really getting pissed off now
Old 14 October 2012, 05:26 PM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry just yet mate.

I recently had to change my turbo as some oil was getting past the seal in the turbo, which was causing some blue smoke. I changed the turbo and blue smoke still came out as not all of the oil had burnt from the exhaust. It took a good couple of weeks driving.

If the exhaust you fitted was oily, then it will be that. You need to give it longer to burn off
Old 14 October 2012, 05:29 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1
I wouldn't worry just yet mate.

I recently had to change my turbo as some oil was getting past the seal in the turbo, which was causing some blue smoke. I changed the turbo and blue smoke still came out as not all of the oil had burnt from the exhaust. It took a good couple of weeks driving.

If the exhaust you fitted was oily, then it will be that. You need to give it longer to burn off
i can live with that but yesterday there was no smoke after a good motorway blast
Old 11 November 2012, 04:51 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

well im still getting blue smoke,its worse after a good spirited drive

if it was the turbo would it smoke all the time? i have no smoke on boost and no smoke from start up its only on tick over that it smokes,not straight away tho-say i pull up at some traffic lights after 20 seconds or so it will start smoking so i give it a blip on the throttle and it blows it out then no smoke

when would it smoke if it was the rings/valve stem oil seals? it shouldnt be these as the block has only done 34k,uses no oil and runs like clockwork
Old 11 November 2012, 04:59 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

The smoke will be worse after a good drive because the exhaust will be hotter. The fact the car it came off had bottom end problems means there is likely some oil in the exhaust. I would give it some more time before worrying about it, if your engine is not using oil then it cant be coming from your engine.
Old 11 November 2012, 05:02 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
The smoke will be worse after a good drive because the exhaust will be hotter. The fact the car it came off had bottom end problems means there is likely some oil in the exhaust. I would give it some more time before worrying about it, if your engine is not using oil then it cant be coming from your engine.
the engine is bang on mate altho the turbo is on 95k, i changed the oil 3 months ago and have never needed to top it up since
Old 11 November 2012, 05:21 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
well im still getting blue smoke,its worse after a good spirited drive

if it was the turbo would it smoke all the time? i have no smoke on boost and no smoke from start up its only on tick over that it smokes,not straight away tho-say i pull up at some traffic lights after 20 seconds or so it will start smoking so i give it a blip on the throttle and it blows it out then no smoke

when would it smoke if it was the rings/valve stem oil seals? it shouldnt be these as the block has only done 34k,uses no oil and runs like clockwork
Stop worrying mate , if it's had the exhaust full of oil it could take a while ( a long while ) to totally burn out

I filled mine with oil two week ago ( don't ask ) about half a litre at a guess
And for the first 20 mile it was horrendous , then gradually died down , after the first week it was still smoking like a good un after a hard run
And now I get the odd bit of smoke drifting past the window after a hard run
But it's slightly less as time goes by
Old 13 November 2012, 05:09 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

As the others have said, give it time. When I changed the turbo on my Beemer it took AGES to get rid of the oil/blue smoke. I'm talking a few weeks...
Old 19 November 2012, 08:40 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

also same we me on my saab aero hot changed turbo after old ane was smoking after it let go at crail changed it and it was smoking for few weeks eventually cleared just gave me more of a excuse to drive it lol