Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

1995 WRX ECU Options

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2021, 09:59 PM
NorthWest
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 WRX ECU Options

Hello,

After reading a dozen or so posts on the topic from various forums and finding myself completely lost, I have decided to make an account here and ask for help.

I have a 1995 JDM WRX with the EJ20G, and I'm super interested in getting something like the Cobb access port so I can make changes to my car without blowing up my engine between upgrades.

Sadly, however, my little wagon uses a goddamn OBD1 port instead of an OBD2. It also appears that the older ECUs kind of suck, with no real ability to modify/monitor things the way an OBD2 can.

As such, I am looking for an aftermarket or later OEM computer that I can wire in without any unwanted knock.

The goals for this car are to keep it pretty close to stock so I don't bankrupt myself with these horrible Canadian gas prices ($1.45/L for 91 octane at the moment).

This means I want to be able to swap my maps "on the fly" before leaving the garage. In a perfect world, I'm not only able to add a little extra *oomf* to the engine, but also able to *REDUCE* power in the name of fuel economy since this is my daily driver. I am bone stock at the moment, aside from some pretty sweet tommykaira body pieces the car was imported with. The parts I plan on adding are:
  • An intake, probably from K&N unless there's something better for cheaper
  • High flow cats or cat delete, since there is no requirement for them where I live
  • Heat shielding
  • Front-mounted intercooler
  • A downpipe

Since products like the Cobb Accessport work on 02+ ECUs, would I be able to swap out for something like a 2.5XT Forester ECU or am I limited to aftermarket options? If I do go aftermarket, what brand will work? I'm fine using a laptop software program if I can just get the damn computer unlocked. From what I've read, these old ECUs are locked up tighter than a nun's thighs and I'm starting to feel like I'm SOL. Something that's easier to install would be nice too, since I'm a lazy *******.

Thanks for the recommendations. Cheers.
Old 22 March 2021, 12:37 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Swapping to a newer ecu be a nightmare task, look into an ESL board for your stock ecu and you can live tune it on the fly plus have 2 maps saved with easy switching between them.

Last edited by bludgod; 22 March 2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 22 March 2021, 12:49 AM
NorthWest
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bludgod
Swappijg to a newer ecu be a nightmare task, look into an ESL board for your stock ecu and you can live tune it on the fly plus have 2 maps saved with easy switching between them.
Yeah, the less work I have to do the better. I was thinking about using an AEM EMS-4 if all else fails but I will try your suggestion first. I'm not looking to do anything monstrous, so this should be plenty for me. There appears to be a distributor 2.5 hours away from me so I will give it a try. Thanks!