Notices

Power FC - does it support maps being uploaded whilst engine is running?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2008, 08:02 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power FC - does it support maps being uploaded whilst engine is running?

I had a thought some time ago about creating a GUI for switching between stored maps for the ECU via means of a carputer connected to the ECU by datalogit or suchlike.
Obviously when you are running FCedit you upload maps to the ECU via a laptop, and this idea is pretty much to do the same thing but while the car is running.

I know that with the FC commander you can change some settings with the engine running (not sure if it is only certain parameters though), but if the ECU supports the maps themselves being uploaded while the engine is running in theory you could have a selection of maps for different driving conditions, which could be changed simply by prodding a button on the touchscreen.

I'm just not sure if the ECU will support full maps being changed while it's running as obviously there's a moment (however short) when there is no data there - not sure how that would respond, or if there's potential to harm the ECU etc.
I may have overlooked something that can already do this so apologies if that's the case, but I think this would be a very nice convenient app to have if it's doable. Limited demand admittedly as there aren't that many people that have all the stuff to hook it up and run it, but I know a few programmers.

Does anyone know the answer about uploading the maps?

Also - I've been wondering how difficult it would be to construct some sort of 'economy meter'. What I was thinking is some sort of flow sensor on the fuel line, and another on the return to the tank to figure between them how much is being used realtime. That would mean you could see realtime what MPG you are actually doing, and also work out averages, upper & lower limits etc. Considering what fuel costs now, and how much our scoobs use I think it's be a really useful thing to have. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Jim
Old 30 July 2008, 08:10 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Hi Jim, I have a similar quest. The new STi has 3 selectable maps, on the run. As you drive. It is amazing. I have a 2006 STi and am told this is not possible. Older STi's can be fitted with a Delta Dash which allows 2 selectable maps that can be switched on the run via the Rear Screen Demister switch (go figure) I have a Dynojet PowerCommander on my Yamaha and it supports this. I still don't understand why Scooby don't do it but EcuTeK also say it can't be done and they are reputable guys.
Old 30 July 2008, 08:27 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I don't doubt what Ecutek say but just because you can't with one ECU doesn't mean you can't with another necessarily.

I know some have a choice of 2 or 3 maps like the newage ones you mentioned, so I think all it comes down to (for me at least) is whether the Power FC can accept maps being loaded while it's actually in use.

I'm wondering also, even if it turns out that they can't, if it would then be possibly to signal it to switch off (obviously for the tiniest fraction of a second) & back on again to facilitate what could still effectively be a 'live' map swap.....
Old 30 July 2008, 08:56 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

I don't mind changing maps at stationary or turned off even.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:12 PM
AL99
Scooby Regular

cret,

just some thoughts, how about a simple "black box" - probably PIC micro with some eeprom. Could connect the black box to a computer and load two ( or 3 / 4 / ... ) maps ( dat files ) and then have just a toggle switch on the dash connected to the PIC micro. The pic could send the dat file to the Apexi and job done. most PIC's support serial interface.

Or, ive seen a few PC's that fit where the standard stereo fits. Has a touch screen that pops out and could run datalogit, this would be easier of course because all the software is written - but being an embedded software engineer for the last 10 years the first option is dooable too.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:19 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Well for the PFC I'm sure that would be easy enough for someone to develop an app that stores various maps on a carputer and switches between them under those conditions.

For me though, the engine being running is fairly crucial. It's for situations where say you know you are going to be stuck going slow for a good few miles so you have it on economy map, then if you suddenly get an opportunity to safely overtake a couple of cars holding you up, or get onto a quieter road etc you can change to 'full fat' mode just by pressing a button on screen.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:25 PM
AL99
Scooby Regular

in that case you dont need it! - you will run 14.7:1 ( air fuel ratio ) under normal driving wether you are on a super doooper high boost map or just a low boost map - as long as you are off boost.

just control the fuel consumption with your right foot.

the only real need for map switching is when fuel types are limited where you live or you wish for one map that can deal with lots of octane booster or some other fuel additive.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:47 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Shush man! I'm trying to do gadgety stuff here!
Point taken, but I think you'd have more flexibility if you can switch the maps. For instance you could have one that also sets the boost to a very low limit so you can get away with higher rpm at a leaner than normal mix without too much risk.

Although being honest I want to know partly just to see if it's possible.
I'm a developer myself but not in anything that could do interesting stuff like this.

Originally Posted by AL99
Or, ive seen a few PC's that fit where the standard stereo fits. Has a touch screen that pops out and could run datalogit, this would be easier of course because all the software is written - but being an embedded software engineer for the last 10 years the first option is dooable too.
Have got one, and that's exactly what I'll be doing, but I thought this would be a really user friendly thing to add in.
I've got a single DIN Lilliput Blaxtream TC-1000 PC and it's a nice little piece of kit. Not sure whether I'll use a dash fitted static touchscreen or a motorised DIN one (have one of each here) but the whole thing offers superb flexibility for mapping, tunes, and the likes of satnav too.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:57 PM
AL99
Scooby Regular

sorry bud!!

hate to say it but...

" for instance you could have one that also sets the boost to a very low limit so you can get away with higher rpm at a leaner than normal mix without too much risk "

Your current map can deal with that too!! - still no need to map switch!! - you just need a separate boost controller.

Im very much like you in the fact that i like to make gadgets, im considering making an Apexi AVCR TYPE boost control ( rpm specific ) but i'll probably just end up buying the one thats already been made by Apexi!!

Old 30 July 2008, 10:24 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

That would be nice. I've got the boost control kit from Apexi on my PFC but RPM related per gear would be fab.

Anyway - humour me. Forget about whether there's a good use for this (aside from just because) and let's consider whether or not it's doable.

If nothing else you could make it look like the 'turbo boost' button on KITT
Old 30 July 2008, 11:19 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power FC - does it support maps being uploaded whilst engine is running?

yes
Old 30 July 2008, 11:27 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Really? Ace! Cheers Simon.

So then there's no reason why I can't go about getting something that does this coded?

Excellent stuff.

Now - anyone got any ideas about the fuel computer idea? Even just some kind of suitable sensors would be a start.