Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

TGV delete or bypass connector Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2021, 10:24 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TGV delete or bypass connector Issues

Hi All,
I have a 2005 WRX on std ecu and have dropped a 2.5 into it which I know to be a good engine. I have replaced the TGV assemblies with FUJI Racing units so no flaps or anything just straight through. OK mapping is slowly progressing but we are getting a lumpy idle after about 5 mins and the exhaust smells a bit rich. When we drive the car it has hesitation on a constant throttle say 2000rph and slight hesitation under initial acceleration. When we run OBD2 in Subaru we get P1307 and P1309 which are TGV codes. The TGV connectors lie unconnected and I am starting to wonder if the ECU is searching for some sort of feedback from these and therefore do I need to earth or join something together. In the mapp I have made a TGV delete. Am I missing something basic here. We are using romrader. Any suggestions welcome.
Old 13 January 2021, 08:28 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

you have to remove the TGV codes from the ecu so it doesn't read them any more ,, mapper should of done this before mapping it ,,,, the hesitation prob won't be anything to do with the TGV though
Old 14 January 2021, 10:08 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The TGV connectors on my car are also just flapping about, and it does not suffer from hesitation. My car has been mapped with the TGV's "deleted", however, so not sure if it would suffer hesitation unless the map had been fixed.
Old 15 January 2021, 11:38 AM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, very helpfull and I can now cross that one off my list
Old 17 January 2021, 05:36 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Always check your spark plug gaps for 0.7mm and reduce if on higher boost.

Regarding codes Domino I beg to differ it might be so ..

The ECU can be missing the TGV response , I think they work like throttle position sensors . I had the same on my MY05 Following a new forged engine build at 116k miles I realised I had a still worsening issue but that it could not be the engine itself.
It manifested a sort of hesitation at around 2000rpm , I had thought it was a mapping issue but Ply Enginetuner were unable to map the car right,
But they found the problem for me
The remedy was to do a physical TGV delete and the mapper takes them out of the ECU closed loop control,
(someone else can answer how this is done in the program )

I had a similar issue on an Audi Throttle position sensor , the moving potentiometer sweep arm crosses an area of resistive material which scales /varies the voltage as the throttle opens / rotates, The problem is it gradually wears out the resistive coating in the area you most often use, causing a voltage drop out the ECU expects then that you have closed the throttle shut.

This started to occur on my Subaru like a very slight misfire problem even when I first got the car in 2012 with 98000 miles and I d had JGM do a map and he did something that covered the problem (we didn't know what it was ) , Later on I found I could drive around it a bit by applying less throttle, which sort of defeats the reason of having a Subaru.

So if this is your problem you either have to replace the worn electrical potentiometer assembly ( of which you have two one on each bank ). or delete them ( both physically and from the ECU )

Henrik , Are you sure yours are not plugged in ? I just checked one of mine on passenger side (which I can see with a torch) and it still is , no idea if that matters.

Last edited by Linksfahrer; 17 January 2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Q on Henrik