Notices

Throttle Position Sensor or Idle Control?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 09:55 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor or Idle Control?

Hi,

I have an intermittent problem that has once give a TPS code when i checked the ecu (MY98 uk).

The symptoms are:
boost solenoid tapping on tickover
Dipping the clutch sometimes drops to 5-600 rpm hunting then recovers
most annoying is when changing gear from upwards of 3k rpm it hangs on to the rpms and dies down really slowly, just like when the car is cold.

Now, i have a 2nd hand TPS which i havent fitted yet, but i'm thinking its sounding like the idle control. Any suggestions? and suppliers? Dont want to pay subaru 300 quid....

thanks
Nicky
Old 27 November 2006, 11:47 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

The TPS has a switch inside that should close when your foot is off the pedal, if it doesn't you get the exact problems you are seeing, try backing the tps a little, will fix your problem. If your handy with a multimeter you can check the output at the ECU.

Could just be build up in the throttle body, stopping it closing all the way, won't hurt to give it a clean.
Old 28 November 2006, 08:39 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks for the info, i'll clean out the new one and install that at the weekend. Need to make sure it works before i leave feedback lol. Do you have to check the voltages at the ecu wire or can you get to the connectors with the multimeter probe from the engine bay?

Cheers
Old 28 November 2006, 04:37 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickyrhodes
Hi,

Thanks for the info, i'll clean out the new one and install that at the weekend. Need to make sure it works before i leave feedback lol. Do you have to check the voltages at the ecu wire or can you get to the connectors with the multimeter probe from the engine bay?

Cheers
Sorry I meant clean the throttle body inside, where the butterfly is, sometimes a build up can stop the butterfly moving to a fully closed position and hence the tps doesn't move round far enough. From memory you can't get the the tps connections through the back of the plug as it's sealed, I did mine on the ecu then checked the tps voltage to make sure it was within limits.

The course way to do it is have the engine running, loosen the tps screws and slowly move it in the direction the throttle moves until the idle becomes controlled by the ecu.

You may not need the new tps.
Old 28 November 2006, 04:54 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

ok, thanks.

Will have to take the intercooler back off, hate that job its such a pain to get back on!!

Will clean it all out then at the weekend...

Cheers