Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Help With Possible Knackered ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2020, 08:41 PM
Rocker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Possible Knackered ECU

HI Folks

Long story, cut short, I tool my 2011 legacy estate 2.0 manual n.a to have a p1410 (secondary air pump) code flashed out. The mapper said after trying that he could not do it as it was a hitachi ecu.

However I think he did have a go at doing it as the code has now changed to p1518 (Starter Switch Circuit Low Input) and also I found my spare key doesn't work either,

Car starts and runs fine but I need to get this sorted out as I still have the cruise, traction control and engine management lights on.

I can clear the codes and they do not appear on 1st start up but come back on the second start up.

If the ecu has been messed with as I suspect, is it possible to get the ecu reflashed back to stock? As I think the p1518 code is the ecu not communicating with the other systems.

I have been told by my local mechanic that I can not just find a replacement ecu and swop it over (they are like rocking horse cr*p anyway)

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old 11 March 2020, 10:27 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Does a UK MY11 Legacy 2.0L N/A actually have a secondary air pump? Struggling to find any mention of it in the Subaru parts database. It is equipped with an EGR device.
P1410 is not listed for the H4SO engine either although it appears to have P1499: "EGR Solenoid Valve Signal #4 Circuit Malfunction (High Input)"

After further investigation the UK EJ204 engine H4DO does.

Your Local mechanic would be correct
If your spare key is no longer working as well, it looks as if your mapper has either upset a number of the systems in some way, or the key has a flat battery or it is no longer "paired" to the car either alarm wise or OEM immobiliser wise.
Looks as if you will be paying a visit to a Subaru Dealer to get it checked out on Subaru Select monitor (SSM).

Last edited by Don Clark; 11 March 2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12 March 2020, 09:16 AM
Rocker
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Don

I think you are right as the spare unlocks and locks the car but will not start the engine.

There are a few Subaru dealers within an hours drive of me, Drayton on the Wirral, Colin Appleyard in Ashton and Pinkstones in Stoke

I don't know if anyone could recommend one over the other?

Thanks again
Old 12 March 2020, 09:58 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Who was the mapped who shafted you?
Old 12 March 2020, 09:59 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

if they had tampered with the Immobiliser codes then NO key would be working.............
Old 12 March 2020, 10:24 AM
Rocker
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

It's a mystery about the key then, unless they reprogrammed the key I gave them to the ecu/immobiliser.?

I do not want to name the people on a public forum. I would like to find out first what has actually gone on when I take it to a dealer.

Dealer recommendations are still welcome.

Thanks again!!

Old 08 July 2020, 02:00 PM
Rocker
Scooby Newbie

Update on proceedings.

Took the car to a Subaru dealer who basically were useless and just told me what codes were showing. They told me they could not code the spare key to the car and would need to pay £300 for a new one from Subaru.

I have stuck my code reader on it again and found a function I did not know I had which told me the ecu vin number.

To my surprise the ecu vin number does not match my vehicle vin number . So I can now assume the original ecu was knackered in the initial remap and a different ecu was put in its placed and a key coded to it, Hence why my spare key wont work. I am assuming this rogue ecu is why I have got the P1518 code which I cant get rid of..

I bought the car privately so I cannot prove that the remapper has swopped the ecu so what the hell do I do now?

Can an experienced re-mapper change the vin on the ecu to match?

Do I lash out £300 on a spare key and drive it around with all the lights blinking? I already took it to a local auto locksmith who said he could not copy the transponder.

What are your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Old 09 July 2020, 09:19 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

a subaru tech can recode that ECU to your car then repair all the keys with the EUC immobiliser. They may not all know they can, but they can so you'll maybe have to contact a few different dealers in the area (or possibly some independents too) to see who has the wit to do it. Also wouldn't be any harm in just asking the guy who tried to do it if he did end up swapping the ECU as your spare key is no longer working.

Also for what it's worth the hitachi ecu's can be mapped, i've done a few it's just not the same process as the turbo cars.
Old 09 July 2020, 09:33 PM
Rocker
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks bludgod for your reply.

I have just put the ecu vin number into a free vin check site and the result is it has come from a CVT automatic Legacy estate.

My Legacy is a manual so I do not know if this changes what a mapper can do.

I have been totally shafted it seems

I previously spoke to the bloke who I took it to to get the P1410 code flashed out and asked him why if no work had been done to the ecu had the code changed to P1518.

All he said was that no work had been done to the ecu end of.

I can try to ring him again with the new evidence regarding the vin number but I am not holding my breath.

I feel gutted as I really like the car.

What options do I have now please???

Old 10 July 2020, 10:03 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if your local subaru dealer can't pair the ECU with the car you could try a local independent or just pick up another and have someone try and pair that up with the car.
Old 14 July 2020, 12:02 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

just a side note (which you may already know about), a lit CEL is now an MOT failure, if i understand correctly